Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299642 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Second Demo Fix Released)
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:30 AM »

feel free to change it into something you can use, its based on what i could find in the interwebs

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »

Very nice, I like it a lot. Not sure it fits with any of the established factions, but I was planning on adding a third minor faction, and this would work perfectly for them.

Would there be any chance of you making a frigate and a fighter in this style?  ;D

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »

made it in 2 mins by coping parts from the big one, just a reminder that it needs alot of work on them to actually become usable, basically all im giving its stretches

body part used by the first one

this came out weird at list without any color

smaller engines

body only

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:05:25 PM by silentstormpt »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »

*hug*

These are excellent, thank you!

And of course, they will get a lot of work done to them, I promise they'll look pretty in the end.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »

I know I should probably be working on the mod itself, but I got the sudden urge to try my hand at video creation and animation...

Here are some stills from the beginning of an intro cinematic that will be used in place of Starfarer's (If it gets one in the future, that is. If not, well, it'll be linked to and stuff.):

It'll probably be about 2 minutes long when finished, and should explain the basic backstory in a more interesting way than a wall of text can. Also, it's not a slideshow: the style is very similar to the that from the Homeworld games. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUiVyTaK6g4&feature=related

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

The footage for the video is nearing completion. Just need to finish off the big battle scene...

Video-related stuff:

With any luck, the video should be finished in the next few days. I think the end result is going to be pretty awesome.

The first KTA ship is also ingame:

The Makalan's Heavy Hyperon Beam tears ships to shreds at a distance, but it can be easily taken down if anything (especially fighters) gets close to it.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Introduction Video Released)
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »

The introduction video is done.

Damn, that was a fun little diversion. I was surprised at how easy After Effects was to learn. I just wish it wasn't so tedious...

The video is also set to a sample of the mod's potential soundtrack. "Potential," because it depends if I can pull my act together and actually compose stuff that isn't absolute garbage again. I was never good at composing, but I suppose the magic ingredients here are motivation and direction, because usually I'm just flailing blindly with chords and notes in the hopes that something good will happen.

Oh well. Tell me what you think of the video. I'm curious to see if people would like to see more of that sort of thing in the future.

...And from here on out, it's back to work on the mod itself. Yay.

EDIT: Ugh, stupid mistakes... re-uploading the video because of a few subtle issues. So no, Tylerbot and Uomoz, I didn't delete your comments :P
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:52:57 PM by Psiyon »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

Masterpiece.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »

Very cool Psiyon, tell us what you used to make it and render it!  e.g. maya/vray

Some questions I have:
-The engine thrust, was it geometry with a particle cloud shader?
-Were the glowing engines added as a render post-effect (such as mental ray glow) or using After Effects with a separate white render layer and a glow or gaussian filter?  
-The lens flare, I'd use Trapcode Shine with a 2D motion track, but how did you achieve it?
-The earth-like planet with city lights on the dark side, was that a texture switching thing using facing ratios with the sunlight or something simpler?

Great job, I enjoyed it!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2012, 06:08:28 AM »

Holy crap psiyon!!!

Any chance you could render such a movie for my mod? Pretty please? ;D
If you have the time that will say........

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »

Awesome  8)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Luringen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »

Wow, the quality of that video is amazing!

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone ^_^

Very cool Psiyon, tell us what you used to make it and render it!  e.g. maya/vray

Some questions I have:
-The engine thrust, was it geometry with a particle cloud shader?
-Were the glowing engines added as a render post-effect (such as mental ray glow) or using After Effects with a separate white render layer and a glow or gaussian filter?  
-The lens flare, I'd use Trapcode Shine with a 2D motion track, but how did you achieve it?
-The earth-like planet with city lights on the dark side, was that a texture switching thing using facing ratios with the sunlight or something simpler?

Great job, I enjoyed it!

Actually, the video was made using still 3D renders from 3ds max for the ships, and Photoshop for pretty much everything else. Essentially, I'd just render off a scene of ships, touch them up in Photoshop, and then import them into After Effects onto a background that was also made entirely in Photoshop. The illusion of 3D was just that--an illusion. Ships moved and were subtly scaled up or down as they moved closer or further from the camera.

-The engine thrust was either painted over in Photoshop (if the core if the engine wasn't visible to the camera), or a combination between that and a flickering lens flare from Video Copilot's Optical Flares plugin for After Effects (if the core of the engine was facing the camera).

-I believe the above answers this one.

-Again, all the lens flares were done with the Optical Flares plugin for AE. In After Effects, moving objects are pretty easy to work with because you can set objects as parents to other objects. Meaning, if I stick a lens flare on the engine glow of an already moving ship, it'll stay in the same place throughout that ship's whole animation sequence without touching the animation properties for the flare. The sun in the battle scene was achieved in the same way. As for the missiles, those were simply lens flares decreasing in size on a 2D motion track.

-All backgrounds were created in Photoshop. Some of the planets were saved as separate .pngs so they could move independently from the background, though.

(And just in case you were wondering: aside from 3Ds, AE, and Photoshop, I used Corel Videostudio Pro 4 to put the thing together in, and FL Studio to create the piece of music in the background.)

...Dang, after responding to your comment, I feel like I totally cheated while making this. :P

Holy crap psiyon!!!

Any chance you could render such a movie for my mod? Pretty please? ;D
If you have the time that will say........
It probably wouldn't be possible (at least, not reasonably possible). The only reason this video took such a short time was that 90% of the assets for it were already made at some point in the past. All I did was render them off in 3ds Max, make some pretty backgrounds, and create cheaply animated sequences. So unless you've got a stockpile of 3d models for every ship in your mod laying around...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »

Wow, very impressive! Got me pumped up to play the mod, which I suppose is the point :)

Not to put a damper on things, but just noticed something - I believe it's spelled "ascendancy".

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »

Wow, impressive that you kept the render time down by keeping most of the work to AE.  I completely forgot about VCP's optical flares plugin, I'll have to check it out.  Great job and fantastic digital painting skills.  Keep it up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37