Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299636 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »

Awwwww yeaaaaahhh

With one background out of the way, I can finally return to making things that actually matter.

With a little luck, the first version might be released on Monday or Tuesday. Keep in mind, however, it won't have campaign support. It's also pretty likely that this mod won't have campaign support period. Either way, I'm not even going to look at making this campaign compatible until the game is fully released.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »

Wheeeeee

The Kaeomdus Support Cruiser, and Teriat + F-01 fighters are ingame.

I had to alter the background, too. Sadly, the other one was way too bright, and it made it hard to see where you were aiming.

Just need to add some point defenses to some of the frigates and do a bit of balancing, then the first demo will be released. Still shooting for around Tuesday.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

The first demo is done!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?z6np1j8v52tsuw6

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvXZ5v9StY

Please note, this version doesn't have campaign support, but it does have its own random battle to satisfy all your destruction-based needs.

A question, because I don't have any more time today to look into it: is it possible to completely remove factions from the game? The majority of Starfarer's major files seem to combine with its counterpart in the mod folder, rather than having one file replace another. If you can completely remove factions, you can be 100% certain that the next release will add campaign support.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 12:19:19 AM »

Ships only spawn, or are created at the start, because the various scripts tell them to.

There might be a more elegant way to do it, but providing a new sectorgen.java without all the other faction spawn info should do it? The factions would still be 'there' but would never show up?

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

CaptainCato

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »

I love these new ships and sounds, but i hate that they don't have shields :(. The only one that has shields is the experimental one, and it has terrible, terrible shield power, they overload in no time from nothing.

Metadi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:04 AM »

I love the feel of the ships, but i can't help but feel that the battlecruisers are just on a completely different level than the frigates. It feels like they don't even stand a chance. I started the mission with my battlecruiser and as many frigates as i could deploy (i admit, i wasn't playing particularly strategically) and they ran off and died while i was stuck facing an enemy battlecruiser and 3 enemy frigates, which i destroyed with autotargeted guns and missile spam. Frigates just feel like cannon fodder when there are battlecruisers on the field. My only minor complaint is that the ships aren't properly classified, by which i mean that i can't give "strike" or "harass" orders to the ships that i feel i should be giving them to. Other than that though, great mod, and i really like it and wish i could use the ships in campaign mode.

CaptainCato

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 04:33:50 AM »

I love the feel of the ships, but i can't help but feel that the battlecruisers are just on a completely different level than the frigates. It feels like they don't even stand a chance. I started the mission with my battlecruiser and as many frigates as i could deploy (i admit, i wasn't playing particularly strategically) and they ran off and died while i was stuck facing an enemy battlecruiser and 3 enemy frigates, which i destroyed with autotargeted guns and missile spam. Frigates just feel like cannon fodder when there are battlecruisers on the field. My only minor complaint is that the ships aren't properly classified, by which i mean that i can't give "strike" or "harass" orders to the ships that i feel i should be giving them to. Other than that though, great mod, and i really like it and wish i could use the ships in campaign mode.
Oh my god, I feel exactly the opposite. When I had the battlecruiser, I just ran into my enemies and than realized I have no shields, I was destroyed in a matter of seconds, and my allies were nowhere to be seen, while my ship could not handle the frigates and fighters/bombers all around it.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately your two experiences were accurate representations of my balancing attempts. Some games I'd get completely obliterated, others I'd obliterate everything else.

As for the power gap between ship classes, destroyers still need to be added to the game, so that'll be cleared up a little when they are. Odds are I'll also give the Kio a little more flux capacity as well, and perhaps increase the power of the frigates a bit too. It also seems I completely forgot to set up the "strike" command--stupid failure on my part.

Again, it's a demo, I knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but the release helps me identify and fix flaws.

And thanks mendonca for the info--if that turns out to work, I'll likely add campaign support in the next release.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Thiiei's Ascendency (Demo Released)
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »

Well, good news: there will be a campaign in the next release, turns out everything should work well.

I dug up an old map from ITOG 1 that will probably reflect the campaign map accurately:

For the free-roam campaign, at least for the early versions of it, you will likely be controlling a minor faction in the middle of the three-way warzone. Thus, the Ershiians will be getting a few more ships in the meantime. (I'd make it so you start out with a Thiian fleet, but I don't see a way to make it so you can't attack friendly fleets.)

Anyway, I'd also like to ask if there's anyone out there feeling generous enough to help me with ship sprites so I can get at least a few of the KTA ships ingame for the next release, on top of the expansion of the Thiian and Coalition fleets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

docfoolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

Somebody help this man! I'd help you psiyon, but I dont have a creative bone in my body...

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »

Got some more graphic work done.

Moons (Done a while ago actually, but they need to be touched up and re-done):

Thtiu: (Thiian World)

Bli: (KTA World)

New sprites:

Standard Freighter:

It carries stuff. Will be seen in supply convoys.

Coalition Velithan class Destroyer:

Has a considerable amount of firepower slapped on its hull, but its speed and hull integrity aren't quite up to par with the other factions' counterparts. Try not to get caught alone.

Thiian Calthiiker class Rocket Bomber:

A big, slow target, but has the power to rip larger ships apart with a barrage of unguided rockets if it manages to get a few salvos off.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »

This mod/demo is impressive in every way possible, haha. Nice work.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »

Top-notch work! I absolutely love it so far, keep it up!

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

I appreciate the compliments :)

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »

Really nice but the freighter looks a bit "skinny" and that it really can't hold a lot of stuff or is it meant to be so?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37