Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299643 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 3 Released)
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »

im writing this here because i just thought of it.
there should be a ship that looks like a huge Y with parallel prongs and in the middle, a built-in, 1 ammo missile launcher that launch a wolf-sized intergalactic cruise-missile kinda thing  ;D

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 11, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »

You realise that a missile the size of a Pilum is a ship killer in this mod, right? What the hell use would you have for a missile that big?  :P

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 11, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »

You realise that a missile the size of a Pilum is a ship killer in this mod, right? What the hell use would you have for a missile that big?  :P

nothing. truth be told, i wrote that here because i was too lazy to put it somewhere else. i just wrote that on the spur of the moment. sorry.
honestly i havent really checked what ascendency is about.

i guess that just makes me a spammer. just delete those posts

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 11, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »

<--- "Big Missile" :)

elite24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 11, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »

You should make a capital ship or cruiser for the Lyseti faction that uses the big FC-HPAC-1220 so that it's used in the campaign (besides on elite velithans, so I guess I should say used on a lyseti ship).
Potentially. I was kind of staying away from giving Lyseti any big ships, because most smaller ship-building corporations wouldn't have the extensive resources for building a capital ship available to them.
Yeah, after making that comment I realized that lore-wise a Lyseti capital ship wouldn't make sense (as cool as it would be ;)). Maybe the addition of some sort of destroyer would make more sense. It's a shame that such a cool weapon isn't utilized by its respective faction.

Earlier in the thread you mentions adding a new ship to both the KTA and Coalition factions. As needless as my opinions regarding what roles those ships should fill are, I will state them here anyways.

The KTA are really in need of some sort of heavy cruiser. Their fleets are a little soft, being based around the powerful, but long-range hyberon beams, and are really in need of some backbone. The Cerija-class assault-ship does fill this role somewhat, but the Cerija-class isn't exactly the heaviest capital ship in the game (and that's not it's intended role). Adding a powerful cruiser would really strengthen and round out the fleet.

As far as the Coalition goes, I not totally sure what role their ship should fill. It could fill in the gap between the Luxara and the Kaeomdus, but that doesn't seem entirely necessary. I could also be a destroyer, as the game doesn't have a huge abundance of basic destroyers. It would be cool to see some sort of Coalition dreadnought, but this may be too over-powered (but still cool ;)).

And just in case I have blabbered enough, the Viktra could use a little buff as well. It's not a bad ship, but it's weapons package is a little sub-par, especially for the 6 fleet points it's worth. The Makalan also fit's into this category, but the hyperon beam buff may help alleviate this issue.

After staring at the Lyseti heavy pulsed anion cannon for awhile, I feel like it is a little op compared to the other energy weapons, but this is debatable. My only reason for thinking this is the difference in base damage between the energy weapons grows significantly as the flux level of a ship increases. Now, since most energy weapon wielding ships in the game have a way to naturally increase their flux level, the benefit of using a higher damage energy weapon quickly outweighs the cons of the higher flux cost and slightly higher op (not to mention the Lyseti heavy pulsed anion cannon has great range comparatively).

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »

im writing this here because i just thought of it.
there should be a ship that looks like a huge Y with parallel prongs and in the middle, a built-in, 1 ammo missile launcher that launch a wolf-sized intergalactic cruise-missile kinda thing  ;D
While it's a cool idea, I don't really think that such a ship or weapon would work in this mod.

honestly i havent really checked what ascendency is about.
Making Starsector newbies scream in tormented agony, mostly.

<--- "Big Missile" :)
me gusta

Yeah, after making that comment I realized that lore-wise a Lyseti capital ship wouldn't make sense (as cool as it would be ;)). Maybe the addition of some sort of destroyer would make more sense. It's a shame that such a cool weapon isn't utilized by its respective faction.
A destroyer is more likely, yes. Either that or a sort of heavy frigate.

The KTA are really in need of some sort of heavy cruiser. Their fleets are a little soft, being based around the powerful, but long-range hyberon beams, and are really in need of some backbone. The Cerija-class assault-ship does fill this role somewhat, but the Cerija-class isn't exactly the heaviest capital ship in the game (and that's not it's intended role). Adding a powerful cruiser would really strengthen and round out the fleet.
I was planning on having the KTA's new ship be a cruiser, so we're in agreement here :)

As far as the Coalition goes, I not totally sure what role their ship should fill. It could fill in the gap between the Luxara and the Kaeomdus, but that doesn't seem entirely necessary. I could also be a destroyer, as the game doesn't have a huge abundance of basic destroyers. It would be cool to see some sort of Coalition dreadnought, but this may be too over-powered (but still cool ;)).
Truthfully I don't even know if I'm going to add a new ship to the Coalition or not after thinking about it for a while. They've already got two larger ships, a capable destroyer, and a well-rounded complement of frigates. I was thinking on perhaps a new fighter or corvette, but a destroyer could be interesting too. A dreadnaught could be really fun, though.... we'll see.

And just in case I have blabbered enough, the Viktra could use a little buff as well. It's not a bad ship, but it's weapons package is a little sub-par, especially for the 6 fleet points it's worth. The Makalan also fit's into this category, but the hyperon beam buff may help alleviate this issue.
Fortunately the critical hit system saves the Viktra; its heavy autocannons now tear fighters to shreds. In the current build, it can easily take down quite a few fighter squadrons, assuming they don't swarm the ship all at once. It's also exceptionally good at taking down corvettes too. As for the Makalan, you're correct, the hyperon beam's buff makes it much more valuable since it can now, though rarely, disable ships for a few seconds by overloading them.

After staring at the Lyseti heavy pulsed anion cannon for awhile, I feel like it is a little op compared to the other energy weapons, but this is debatable. My only reason for thinking this is the difference in base damage between the energy weapons grows significantly as the flux level of a ship increases. Now, since most energy weapon wielding ships in the game have a way to naturally increase their flux level, the benefit of using a higher damage energy weapon quickly outweighs the cons of the higher flux cost and slightly higher op (not to mention the Lyseti heavy pulsed anion cannon has great range comparatively).
It's totally OP, there's no "little" about it. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, though.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaay crusur

The KTA's Sotvaan-class Hunter-killer Cruiser has an impressive armament and frightening speed, but it comes at a cost--the ship is rather fragile. If you want to 1v1 smaller ships, this is your guy. But don't expect it to hold up for long under heavy fire. That's what the Cerija's for.

This ship is more ballistic-oriented than most KTA ships.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »

Except for the part where it's almost impossible to "1v1 me, bruh" in Ascendancy.  ::)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »

If he is fragile.. does that mean....

That if i send this missle in his general direction, he wont survive it yes? ::)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »

That if i send this missle in his general direction, he wont survive it yes? ::)

haha, i love it

elite24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »

That cruiser looks awesome. Sounds like the KTA can deal out some serious damage now.

I'm interested to see how the addition of the critical hit system and the hyperon beam buff balance out some of the ships. I have a feeling relas are a lot scarier now, and shielding is even more important.

IT also occurred to me Okouth could use another fighter. There are a lot in the game, but it feels like they need some sort of heavy fighter or corvette with the new carrier they've got.

elite24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 13, 2013, 08:12:09 PM »

BIGGER MISSILE!

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »

Except for the part where it's almost impossible to "1v1 me, bruh" in Ascendancy.  ::)
mang u crazy i destroy noobs in 1v1 all the time by failing into bronze league and 6-pool oh wait wrong game.

A missile that big probably won't move so fast, so actually, provided it is coming at the Sotvaan head-on, it'll probably be shot down before impact. From the back, though, that's another story.

That cruiser looks awesome. Sounds like the KTA can deal out some serious damage now.
It's pretty fun to fly in-game, really. For the default variant, I've got two heavy repeaters in the large ballistic slots in front. That, and the ship can reach speeds of about 80 units per second with an elite fusion core (not counting 0-flux boost).

I'm interested to see how the addition of the critical hit system and the hyperon beam buff balance out some of the ships. I have a feeling relas are a lot scarier now, and shielding is even more important.
In reality, the critical hit system isn't meant to alter balance in any significant way. Its goal is to add a small degree of randomness into battles so that the mod isn't so hard-countered. For example, a Kio is obviously stronger than a Rela, and can usually beat it with minimal damage each time. With the critical hit system, the goal is not to make it so the Rela has a chance of beating the Kio in 1v1, but rather gives it the ability to lose a bit less. So instead of the Kio winning with about 80% health left, it might win anywhere from 95% hull remaining to 65% hull remaining, and it might come out of the 1v1 with some minor impairments to its systems, like a reduction in sensor range or less autofire accuracy.

IT also occurred to me Okouth could use another fighter. There are a lot in the game, but it feels like they need some sort of heavy fighter or corvette with the new carrier they've got.
Eh, I think Okouth are good in strike craft. They've got four already. The VES-1330s serve as interceptors, the Vasirs serve as heavy fighters, the Zetils serve as heavy bombers, and the Garas serve as anti-fighter/general support.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »

I don't find myself in that many 1v1 situations and if I am in them, one of us is seriously crippled from a fight. Even the smallest fleets roll with 3-4 frigates and a fighter wing or two. In the case of the Okouth, they typically have that fighter wing with beam weapons. The extremely slow flux dissipation of C.Six ships means that getting hit by that WILL build up flux on shields, or you can lower it and take a surprisingly scary amount of damage because energy weapons do pretty well on the hull too.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »

I didn't mean a 1v1 in the sense of an enemy fleet of one ship vs your fleet of one ship, I just meant standard 1v1 situations in normal fleet battles. The new cruiser is good for breaking off from the main engagement and hunting down stray ships. Having only the cruiser in your fleet would invite inevitable death. :P
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37