Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 299652 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Beta 3 Released)
« Reply #420 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »

Balancing is cool, when I think about it there isn't really much to *expand* on.

As for weapon variants (just throwing this out there) maby when you join a faction you would have access to like a military station only in said faction, like the commercial station but has the better updated versions of said weapons. Like say you join kta, a military station would spawn near their world near the regular station and has advanced hardware that the normal station doesn't.

you already integrated elite fleets so maybe the only way the other factions could get premium hardware would be to raid those fleets or the storage fleets moving to the military stations. It would be cool if you could somehow restrict access from other stations, that way you could still have supply fleets but that seems a lot to code so then yeah you can only raid elite fleets.

I would be totally down for expensive variant's.

Interesting idea. Restricting access to other stations is on my to-do list.

For now, though, a bit of progress:

This is the new hullmod system. Hullmods are now separated into five categories: Offensive, Defensive, Auxiliary, Augmentation, and Support. You can only have one hullmod from each category at once, though some skills might change this.

Why did I choose to switch to this system? It's mainly a balance issue. Now, people can no longer get extremely overpowered ships by spamming hullmods, which was a major, major issue. Second, it allows for a much wider array of hullmods now that they can be balanced more effectively. It also facilitates more interesting character progression with new perks such as "Allows two offensive hullmods to be equipped." So, bottom line: makes the game more balanced, and empowers character creation by deepening the link between skills and hullmod unlocks.

Related to hullmods, I'm going to get rid of the Vessel Militarization hullmod and just get the same effect on all ships by using a plugin. Makes things cleaner.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »

good idea, ill miss stacking auxiliary plating.

cant wait ^_^.......well I guess I can......you know what I mean.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 08, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »

AUG: Engines to Ballistics
DEF: Auxiliary Plating
OFN: Elite Magnetic Coils
SPRT: Multinode Scanner Array

Now gimme a Ritiak and lemme pew away.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 19, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »

Got a fair amount of work done over the past few days. Sadly, none of this will be released until 0.6a comes, but I'll post the notes for the things that I have completed.

Spoiler
-Changed the mod's name to "Obsidian Void", color scheme changed to purple. This is in preparation for the Dominion mod, which will run on Ascendency's framework. It is easiest for me to have both mods merged into one, rather than to work on separate mods that share a massive amount of content.

-Changed primary font.
-Heavy Hyperon Beams now cause extensive EMP damage, and have a slight chance of causing a short overload to the targeted ship.

-Massive hullmod mechanic change:
   -Hullmods are divided into 5 categories: Augmentations, Auxiliary, Support, Offense, and Defense.
      -Augmentation hullmods boost the effectiveness in one area while removing effectiveness from another. They have low OP costs.
      -Auxiliary hullmods provide failsafes that help rescue ships from bad situations.
      -Support hullmods are more general in nature, and don't necessarily directly impact combat performance.
      -Offensive hullmods directly affect the weapons of the vessel.
      -Defensive hullmods directly affect the defensive capabilities of the vessel.

-New Hullmods:
      -Support: Latch Points: Increases hangar space of the vessel, pending on hull size.
      -Support: LIDAR Array: Increases sensor range by 50%

-Removed Vessel Militarization hullmod. Stat bonuses for weapon and engine health are now applied via plugin.

-New original music for campaign. (Note: all music in the mod is now original)
-Target drones added to simulations.

Combat overhaul:

-Anti-fighter weapons are now significantly more effective at taking down strike craft, and somewhat less effective versus larger ships.

-Critical hit system:

-Only Kinetic, Energy and High Explosive damage types can cause critical hits. Fragmentation does not.
   -Basic crits occur occasionally. About a 1-2% chance for small projectiles. Higher chances for stronger projectiles.
   -Moderate crits occur infrequently. Small weapons have exceptionally small chances of triggering them. Chance increases for projectile strength.
   -Crippling crits occur very rarely, maybe three or four times per sizable engagement. Small projectiles have virtually no chance of triggering them.

-Basic Critical Hits:
         -Armor Pierce/Secondary Explosion: deals a large amount of HE damage to the affected area. Kinetic only.
         -Conduit Rupture: causes a few low-damage EMP arcs to shoot out from the damaged spot. E/HE/K

-Moderate Critical Hits:
      -Can only occur if a ship is below 100% health.   
         -Coolant Line Rupture: Can do different things. E/HE/K
            -Can reduce engine power.
            -Can reduce weapon fire rates.
            -Can reduce flux dissipation rates.
         -Sensor Damage: Reduces sensor range, reduces autofire accuracy. E/HE/K
         -Internal Fire: Skyrockets the crew loss multiplier. HE/K
         -Conduit Overload: Causes a momentary flux overload. No more than 5 seconds. E

-Crippling Critical Hits: (All damage types, excluding frag)
      -Can only occur if a ship is below 35% health.
         -Fusion Core Breach: Speed and weapon ROFs cut drastically. If a ship has shields, they are disabled.
         -Energy Containment Failure: Total overload, ~8 seconds, all weapons knocked offline.
         -Shield generator destruction: If a ship has shields, they are disabled.
         -Computer failure: Weapon ranges reduced by 25%, as is autofire accuracy.
         -Compromised Energy Grid: Flux dissipation is 70% slower.

-Fighters now pack more of a punch with the critical hit system, but due to anti-fighter weaponry, are somewhat weaker against certain weapons.
[close]

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »

That critical hits idea sounds kinda awesome with spamtastic weaponry like those of the Okouth.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

Sounds promising!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 27, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »

Some Dominion-related stuff:

This is the reworked Cordelphia, for the Lemurian Empire. It now doesn't look *** in 3D.

Subsequently, I made this. It'll probably be the main loading screen image from now on.

Also, added a new Augmentation hullmod:
-AG: Cargo Space to Crew Quarters - Reduces cargo capacity of the ship by 50%, but increases crew capacity by 35%

Will probably make a hullmod that does the reverse.

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

so many mysteries to dominion. they shall unravel!

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

created a ship for your mod
Spoiler
[close]

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

created a ship for your mod
Spoiler
[close]
That's pretty goddamned awesome, I must admit.

I might very well add it in. It probably won't be a common ship (Thiiei has a ton of ships already), but I certainly wouldn't mind having it exist in the mod in some capacity.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »

10/10 would fly.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »

I made a few adjustments to the ship to match the Thiian style a bit more:

I like how it looks. Now I just need to name it. Nonetheless, expect its appearance in Beta 4. Performance-wise, I'm aiming to make it an alternative to the Ritiak, specializing in more weapons over better weapons. Gunmounts are not final.

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »

Psiyon, not bad

here is my yesterday's work. It may be useful.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d8my0ns7gx11bp7/ascendency-B.3-lite.rar
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:01:12 AM by Levik »

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 01, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »

This early version of the missile cruiser needs refinement.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:34:04 AM by Levik »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »

Psiyon, not bad

here is my yesterday's work. It may be useful.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d8my0ns7gx11bp7/ascendency-B.3-lite.rar
Spoiler
[close]
Glad you approve of the modifications.

I'll probably have to redo the ship file, sadly--but the CSV data will be nice to have. Thank you :)

This early version of the missile cruiser needs refinement.
Spoiler
[close]
Interesting design. I'll see what I can do with one of them.

Also, I'm really appreciative of you helping with ship design--anything that eases the workload is welcome :)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37