Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: (ded) Obsidian Void (ASC: B5) (DOM: D2) - 0.6.2a  (Read 300128 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Alpha 2 Released)
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »

1) The ships and the system look really nice but the mod itself feels sluggish.
2) Combat is a pain, and that's playing at half-damage, I can't imagine playing at full-damage setting.
3) Shields seem to be useless in this mod, they get overloaded way to fast.
4) There's also to few modification points to play with on your ship.
5) You probably need to add more smaller fleets to the game to give the player a chance.

1) The overall slowness is more like a feature of the TC to me. I like it very much as a change from the action-packed vanilla.
2) It's hardcore (without recurring to weird mechanics, just following it's own lore of the ships) and is a reason why I love it.
3) In this Universe, I think, shields are pretty much prototype technology: armor is the main defense here.
4) I didn't find many limitations, but mostly because I don't play much with the fittings.
5) I agree.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendency (Alpha 2.1 Released)
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »

First of all, a big thanks to everyone for helping me find these issues, especially you Vandala.

Here's Alpha 2.1:

(Not save compatible with A2.0)

Full Version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/Ascendency.A2.11-Full.zip
No music: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71512473/Ascendency.A2.11-Lite.zip

Changes:

-Spawn rates for all fleets kicked up drastically
-All ship armor values multiplied by 1.2
-Gave a slight increase to all ship speeds
-Slightly increased the effectiveness of shields (Damage taken is now 0.8 instead of 1)
-Slight buff to the Kio (More flux, speed, HP and armor)
-Added the Iri to the sim opponents
-Fixed capital letter bug that prevented the mod from working on Linux
-Fixed bug that caused an endless looping message when you were defeated
-Fixed a bug that prevented the Iri from firing its main guns

@Uomoz: I'll take a look at hullmods next. However, I won't have time to do any work on this until Friday, because this week is totally booked.

Just remember everyone, I really do appreciate the feedback, and that I usually make good suggestions a reality if it's within my power.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

I'm not saying my suggestions are any good, you know I'm a speed junky in this game.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

@Vandala: I'm still the one who decides whether or not suggestions are good. But you did make a valid points, such as the difficult combat (thus the 1.2 armor multiplier) and the shields (thus the shield buff). Still didn't take your suggestion about ordinance points though, as I personally like the heavy tradeoff between weapons and hullmods. I think it makes refitting a more intelligent and important process, rather than the average "hurr let's slap on all these weapons and hullmods cuz i can lol." exhibited by a lot of Starfarer players, including myself :P

---

Anyway, AP Calculus exam is down as well as the silly portfolio project. Free time has returned at last.

So I'd like to get some opinions about where to go next.

In regards to release frequency, would you guys rather have:

-Frequent releases (Once every ~2 weeks or so) that provide a smaller amount of new content. Downside is that your saves are wiped more often if you always choose to update.
-Infrequent releases (One every ~3 weeks to a month) that provide large chunks of new content.

And, what would you like that new content to focus on for the next release?

-Build up major existing factions (new weapons + ships + etc for Thiiei/Coalition)
-Build up smaller factions (More K.T.A. ships, the third minor faction, etc)
-Make the campaign more interactive & expansive (Like how your dockyard is impounded if you betray csix, things along similar lines (suggestions here are welcome))
-Something else?

As of now, the next thing I'll be taking a look at are hullmods, but those aren't really a lot of work to create (Thus the previous question).

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

Took the AP as well, my brain hurts, I saw a sign talking about how an underpass was like 8'5" and i was like, weird that the derivative of 8 is five, strange, i wonder what f(x) is

anyway, this, I think that the KTA should be fleshed out more as they and the okuth (I don't think that's how it's spelled) are your primary opponents early on

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »

id say make more ship for main faction :)

and does the Iri will be the only capital ship?

*off note.... im a fan of massively armed ( but balanced ) capital ship ( like the joyeuse class of the mod : confederacy of the free star ) a super heavy ship with tons of weapon, but not necessarily OPed, i just like to see many guns shooting every where ;D with different weapon, from small to large ;D )*

Mr.FancyPants

• Ensign
  • I am just a man with some Fancy Pants
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »

In regards to release frequency, would you guys rather have:

-Frequent releases (Once every ~2 weeks or so) that provide a smaller amount of new content. Downside is that your saves are wiped more often if you always choose to update.
-Infrequent releases (One every ~3 weeks to a month) that provide large chunks of new content.

I would much rather have infrequent but larger updates, but that's just me.

And, what would you like that new content to focus on for the next release?

-Build up major existing factions (new weapons + ships + etc for Thiiei/Coalition)
-Make the campaign more interactive & expansive (Like how your dockyard is impounded if you betray csix, things along similar lines (suggestions here are welcome))
-Something else?

I believe you should build up the smaller factions, like the KTA.
But again, just my opinion.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 02:26:57 AM »

Is there a reason why only two ships have shields?

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2012, 02:43:57 AM »

Just discovered a major problem, I think your mod 'crashes' my starfarer.

I've bin having a lot of graphical issues with the previous version of starfarer, issues that are currently fixed. However, your mod seems to bring them back. I have no idea what is causing it.

I won't be touching this mod anymore for now, sorry.

EDIT: I run linux, let's hope windows users don't have this problem.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:03:08 AM by Vandala »

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:12 AM »

Note; I don't have any issues.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

@Vandala: Can't think of why that would be happening. Sounds like it's a problem on your end; sorry you're having issues.

@rada660: Nah, there'll be 2-3 capships total in the game. The Iri is probably the best, the others will be more along the lines of real battleships: tons of guns, but poor in regards to everything else.

@Everyone in general: Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I'll focus mainly on the KTA next, and maybe add 1-2 more Okouth ships.

LordMord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »

i love this mod. (even better then the default starfarer)
great sounds and i like the emphasis on missiles.

also i would prefer faster release cycles and polish the smaller factions.

Support this indie game: http://www.interstellarmarines.com

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »

Psiyon, I'm not trying to antagonistic here, I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this mod.

One thing that I find puzzling is the use of flux. With no shields flux has basically irrelevant for your mod, weapon balance can be achieved by rate of fire, reload times and magazine size. The benefit of this is that the player will not be confused by flux information of ships as these, to me, seem irrelevant and therefor misleading. The only use flux may have is in limiting ships who can field many more weapons then others by limiting their maximum potential damage, though I haven't seen any great discrepancy in weapon slots between ships.

Another thing is the EMP damage found on all weapons, I don't understand the overuse of this, it seems to me that this is a loss of a valid tactic, namely the option of EMP weapons in a world where there are no shields. You could use strong EMP weapons as a great boon and of tactical importance, yet EMP is everywhere in little bits making it tactically irrelevant (or at least misleading). I don't understand this choice. The option of having a weapon that deals enough EMP damage to instantly (or rather swiftly) disable other weapons systems but takes a long time to use again (or find another way to make the weapon difficult to use) would make an interesting option, as would having weapons that do use EMP but deal less damage vs weapons that don't use EMP and deal more damage.

I also find the use of kinetic weapons puzzling (6 weapons vs 2 ships with shields), its a damage type that only works against shields so why is it used at all?

The following is just bad memory. I've played a little of homeworld 2 (and none of the mod this is based on), perhaps you can help me on this but did it use the 'fog of war' effect? I don't recall it having this but it's bin a very long time. I doubt it would be a good idea to implement the same thing here though.

There are variant files that have rather strange names. You have a brawler, hound, shuttle and wolf variants even though these have nothing in common with the original vanilla ships and indeed only use your own ships/weapons. This is rather confusing, although not important.
There is also still a phase beam in the weapon data.

Is there are goal behind not having shields (other then lore), do you have a principle or grand strategy to compensate for the lack of shields and what it means/does to gameplay?

I'll say again, I've seen very little of this mod in action (I have bin looking throe the mods files) and I'm not judging it, I'm just trying to understand.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

One thing that I find puzzling is the use of flux. With no shields flux has basically irrelevant for your mod, weapon balance can be achieved by rate of fire, reload times and magazine size. The benefit of this is that the player will not be confused by flux information of ships as these, to me, seem irrelevant and therefor misleading. The only use flux may have is in limiting ships who can field many more weapons then others by limiting their maximum potential damage, though I haven't seen any great discrepancy in weapon slots between ships.

You're absolutely correct here. Flux really isn't a major mechanic anymore, but with the lack of shields, it's unfortunately going to stay that way for a while. Ideally, there would have been a hullmod that allowed you to install shields onto any ship, but that turned out to not work so well (as in, not at all).
This unfortunate limitation certainly punched the mod in the face the way I see it, as I really wanted the player to be able to install shields on their ships if they so pleased.

Another thing is the EMP damage found on all weapons, I don't understand the overuse of this, it seems to me that this is a loss of a valid tactic, namely the option of EMP weapons in a world where there are no shields. You could use strong EMP weapons as a great boon and of tactical importance, yet EMP is everywhere in little bits making it tactically irrelevant (or at least misleading). I don't understand this choice. The option of having a weapon that deals enough EMP damage to instantly (or rather swiftly) disable other weapons systems but takes a long time to use again (or find another way to make the weapon difficult to use) would make an interesting option, as would having weapons that do use EMP but deal less damage vs weapons that don't use EMP and deal more damage.
A valid concern. This fits somewhat in with the shield dilemma--without much of a use for flux, the only thing that weapon impacts did to your ship was damage its hull/armor. I felt it would be an interesting concept if all weapons had the ability to knock your ship's systems offline, simulating some meaningful wear-and-tear on your ship instead of just a blasted up hull. I admit, EMP could probably be handled in a better way than it is now. I'll consider your points, and I might do a bit of fiddling with the weapons in that respect, as I certainly see some potential in your approach as well. I think a mix between the two concepts could end up fitting the mod nicely.

I also find the use of kinetic weapons puzzling (6 weapons vs 2 ships with shields), its a damage type that only works against shields so why is it used at all?
This is mainly a cosmetic thing and a desire to keep it true to the original Homeworld 2 mod. Kinetic weapons, though they do suck against armor, generally have higher DPS and lower OPs than energy weapons. For example, the standard Thiian Magnetic Coil Gun does 90 per shot, and fires a burst of two. The Coalition Light Pulse Cannon does 80 per shot, and fires only once with a fairly similar rate of fire to the former.

The following is just bad memory. I've played a little of homeworld 2 (and none of the mod this is based on), perhaps you can help me on this but did it use the 'fog of war' effect? I don't recall it having this but it's bin a very long time. I doubt it would be a good idea to implement the same thing here though.
Not really a 'fog' so to speak, but more of a "enemy ships aren't shown if they're out of sensor range." Why do you say that fog of war is a bad idea?

There are variant files that have rather strange names. You have a brawler, hound, shuttle and wolf variants even though these have nothing in common with the original vanilla ships and indeed only use your own ships/weapons. This is rather confusing, although not important.
There is also still a phase beam in the weapon data.
Mainly just files I forgot to clean out. The variants replaced the starting ships, and were necessary pre .52a because .json files with the same name merged and couldn't be replaced. Thus, I made all the starting variants the Kio. The Phase Beam was from the original example mod that I used as a template ages ago when I started building the mod.

Is there are goal behind not having shields (other then lore), do you have a principle or grand strategy to compensate for the lack of shields and what it means/does to gameplay?
Gameplay-wise, this is mainly my personal preference here. I like difficult, brutal combat. Starfarer is an awesome game, but I felt that being able to just flip on your shields and absorb all incoming fire proved to be kind of cheap at certain times. Ascendency's shields are trickier to use due to their relative weakness compared to vanilla shields, but if used properly, they can keep your ship alive for quite a while. Thus, that's why the Kio is the starting frigate. And again, the initial idea was to have a hullmod that added shields, but I already mentioned that above.

Psiyon, I'm not trying to antagonistic here, I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this mod.
I'll say again, I've seen very little of this mod in action (I have bin looking throe the mods files) and I'm not judging it, I'm just trying to understand.
Vandala, I'm one of the few people on the internet who actually accept criticism and use it to improve myself and my work. I know that you're only trying to help, and I truly appreciate it.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »

Yeah sorry, reading it again I get I wasn't clear at all. I thought that Homeworld 2 didn't have fog of war so I was considering suggesting not to use fog of war, but thought it wasn't a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37