Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.8]  (Read 83869 times)

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.2]
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »

conduct error when "add"ing hull modification

176800 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException: Conversion = '.'
java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException: Conversion = '.'
   at java.util.Formatter.checkText(Formatter.java:2503)
   at java.util.Formatter.parse(Formatter.java:2485)
   at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2414)
   at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2367)
   at java.lang.String.format(String.java:2769)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.specs.oOoo.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.ModPickerDialog$o.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.ModPickerDialog.??o000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.ModPickerDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.ooOO.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O00o.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.F.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newsuper.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.new.???000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.super.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
sorry for my english..

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.3]
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

haven't had much of a chance to add anything else but I did find the problem

also please help me test the Advanced Armor Plating hull mod I am currently unsure whether it actually works or not

-Fixed Format Error in a hull mod description causing crashes during refit

Sotales

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.3]
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »

Just tried your mod. A lot of the ship descriptions get cut off when mousing over them in the fleet window. May be a formatting problem?

Edit: After taking a look at the descriptions.csv file, it seems like you have line breaks in the middle of sentences. I removed them on my end and it fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:57:54 PM by Sotales »

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.3]
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »

thanks ill get those fixed

also updated to 0.6.1a

download in original post

Jazzrish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.3]
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »

glad to see a fast update. i see that u still got 0.5.3 in the title while 0.5.4 for download.
sorry for my english..

ssthehunter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.4]
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

What is going on? @_@.
Anyways, please fix the DL link, cause it says its for 5.4

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »

What is going on? @_@.
Anyways, please fix the DL link, cause it says its for 5.4

no its for 0.6.1a the 0.5.4 is the mod version not for what the game version

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

This is a surprisingly interesting faction!  It's a simple shieldless low-tech ballistic+missile affair, but it seems to be on its way to do what it means to do fairly well, and in my opinion it feels a much needed niche that modders seem to shy away from (what with all the high tech mod factions flying around).

I'd love to see this get more development.  More fleshed out ships with systems and improved loadouts.  The Immolator doesn't have much to do when its missiles are exhausted, and a lot of ships have far too many kinetic weapons with a dearth if HE (though this may be intentional).

Keep up the good work!   :D

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »

I'm guessing this isn't meant to be vanilla balanced? Just saw some of your testing videos.. seems to me really that they have too much armor.

Give them all a simple hullmod that reduces weapon/engine in-combat repair time by 90% of the normal and you won't have to deal with that problem, and then you can balance them properly (if that's what you're setting out to do in the first place). I only suggest it because you seem to be testing vs. vanilla ships.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »

I'm guessing this isn't meant to be vanilla balanced? Just saw some of your testing videos.. seems to me really that they have too much armor.

Give them all a simple hullmod that reduces weapon/engine in-combat repair time by 90% of the normal and you won't have to deal with that problem, and then you can balance them properly (if that's what you're setting out to do in the first place). I only suggest it because you seem to be testing vs. vanilla ships.

I tested them vs. vanilla and they seemed fine.  They had other drawbacks that didn't make them too absurd.  That said, I doubt the balance is fine-tuned yet.  And admittedly, I didn't test them that in-depth, so they may be far too good.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »

Last time i played them they weren't overpowered. Strong? Yes, probably more now since the CR update. However they are shieldless, are vulnerable to ion weaponry and fly like drunk bricks.

I had some rare encounters with them in 0.61 in their home system (love the giant star BTW). While i got wrecked hard, i think it was more because their fleets tends to be pretty big. Also, they are integrally fitted with kinetic weapons, making shields very inefficient against them. On top of that, they are very fast, so once they get close, sh*t hit the fan and you can't run away.

I have to properly play with them in depth before drawing conclusions though.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

the testing vids are fairly old and i should change or remove them at present my capital ship can take down a paragon fairly easily but has much more difficulty against an onslaught, unless the AI is being stupid

their biggest weakness as far as far as Ive seen so far is bombers with reapers, my capital ship was torn apart by a single wing in a test play

Quote from: HELMUT link=topic=6402.msg117682#msg117682
date=1381780146
Last time i played them they weren't overpowered. Strong? Yes, probably more now since the CR update. However they are shieldless, are vulnerable to ion weaponry and fly like drunk bricks.

I had some rare encounters with them in 0.61 in their home system (love the giant star BTW). While i got wrecked hard, i think it was more because their fleets tends to be pretty big. Also, they are integrally fitted with kinetic weapons, making shields very inefficient against them. On top of that, they are very fast, so once they get close, sh*t hit the fan and you can't run away.

I have to properly play with them in depth before drawing conclusions though.

not supposed to out run them, supposed to out maneuver them. I made them have high speed but horrible acceleration, though im unsure what to make their burn levels at, high with massive fuel burn or low an above average burn

at present their fleets are big because I haven't properly balanced them, ill try to get around to doing that at some point.

as far as ship balance, its fairly difficult to get right, as the current shield system works, my ships have a massive disadvantage in having none, increased armor gives a much better survivability and i made their weapons and engines repair faster as without that they tend to be floating bricks. another thing is that shields easily soak up most missile and fighter weapons fire, and while armor helps against those they still end up being a big problem. which is why they have so many small turret points, I've intended those spots to be mostly for point defense so i cant really do much if someone decides to put in assault weapons in those slots. Though I may make some of those built in if it turns out to be too much of a problem.

for the upcoming update, Im having issues making weapon sprites that match my ships theme, not to mention Im short on motivation so it may be a while before i release anything

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »

which is why they have so many small turret points, I've intended those spots to be mostly for point defense so i cant really do much if someone decides to put in assault weapons in those slots. Though I may make some of those built in if it turns out to be too much of a problem.

A good way to make sure points meant for PD don't become assault mounts is to remove overlap between main guns intended for assault use.  Also, you could do with fewer hardpoints in general; strip out a handful of side/rear facing PD and put in one medium one; that'd do the trick.

And be careful about doing things to shore up weaknesses.  Yes, they're vulnerable to fighter fire; that's a valid weakness.  Don't go too heavy on emplacing PD to negate the weakness you already have.  You're a balance designer, not a military engineer.   ;)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

just uploaded a pair of videos, hopefully they show that my ships atleast some of them are not over powered, first video is a victory second is a loss
both videos can be found in the first post

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

I re-tried this mod with 0.61. I had quite a big problem, your ships eat supplies like crazy. 3 and 4 per day for the two frigates, the cost is enormous! And if you get damaged (which will be very likely due to the lack of shields) the additional supplies for repair will kill you faster than any pirates fleet. Pretty much the same thing for every ships of course. A wing of interceptors cost 5 supplies per day, the fighters 4 and surprisingly the bombers which are extremely strong cost only 3 per day.

Also i noticed the carrier is not available at the station.

Can't say much more since i couldn't buy more than two frigates without starving my crew to death. However something you could modify is changing the jump point Alpha directly to the Firestorm station rather to that lone planet far away.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11