Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] Firestorm Federation [0.5.8]  (Read 83647 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Firestorm Federation [WIP]
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Could also give them a much higher mass than normal to give the feeling of weight behind them. That way, when you coast into an Onslaught, it's you who barges the Onslaught out of the way, not the other way around. :P A downside of enormous mass though is that such impacts really hurt. Like, "asteroids can and will kill you" levels of hurt.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »

Could also give them a much higher mass than normal to give the feeling of weight behind them. That way, when you coast into an Onslaught, it's you who barges the Onslaught out of the way, not the other way around. :P A downside of enormous mass though is that such impacts really hurt. Like, "asteroids can and will kill you" levels of hurt.

yea but don't forget that these ships will also have excessively heavy armor to make up for being shield-less, so they may just shrug off asteroid and ship impacts. btw my capital ship has double the mass of the onslought

ive always hated ships with an excessively low acceleration, but thats mostly because im unable to handle them properly

i also dislike low accelerations so i will definately try to get it to where it doesnt get annoying, like where i was trying to chase that cruiser and it took me half a minute to even start moving in that direction, hopefully i can get it to where that wont happen anymore, frigates will obviously be least affected though i did have a few laughs when i accidentaly made fighters act the same way

one thing im thinking about is making my fighters to be different stat wise, as in they are more like high tech fighters considering that i doubt fighters were used much outside of atmospheric conditions in early exploration. so these fighters would have been designed during the second or third epoch by ship collectors or something
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:58:54 PM by Ember »

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »

added a download link, its still a WIP as i have a few ships that need to be done as well as the station, supply convoys and balancing the fleets

because of the fact that these ships will be shield less outside of hull mods and possibly the fighters buffing the armor an other stats will mark this mod as OP in some programs such as the Codex when in fact it is not
for those that wish to try this faction, please tell me if you feel if anything feels either over powered or under powered an your reason why you think that

as there may still be many save breaking changes ahead, I suggest you start a separate save

http://www.mediafire.com/?wf4sheccryndpzc

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »

Hi,

The ships look really good. I couldn't really test much though. Whenever I tried fighting against your faction the game would crash in a battle. (I never had crashes before.)

All ship names are missing, possibly due to ship_data.csv missing "name" in the A1 field. (Maybe that'd hopefully explain the crashes.)

When adding fighters to your fleets in your faction file, add the WING, not the variant, or you'll only get single fighters flying around.

There's a single fighter for sale on your station.
(FirestormGen.java, FirestormCargo.addMothballedShip(FleetMemberType.SHIP, "EM_Heavy_Fighter_Hull", null); )

Small bit: Imolator should be spelled Immolator.

Time for some polishing! ;)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

oops, forgot to remove that fighter, I had accidentally put that in and was amusing to be able to fly around in a little fighter

fixed the things you mentioned as well

Added the missile destroyer to the shop
Added a few more stock weapons to the shop

Added all but the capital ship to the convoys

Restart is Required

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Firestorm Federation [0.2 WIP]
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »

I suggest hidden flak cannons. Lots of them. Most of my ships that I design (cruisers and up) have their own backward facing medium universal slots for any PD system. (Or just more missiles o_o)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

doesnt need more flak, and if i can get around to it ill probably just make a small flak turret, just 4 smalls from the new hiigarian faction doest a wonderful job of stopping incoming missiles

also notice that i had the wrong link, so new link for download

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

I tried it, i loved it. The playstyle is pretty unique. Of course some stuffs aren't working quite right (like the names) but overall that's pretty good.

What i loved with them was the whole "boating small guns" thinking. The frigates are shieldless and fly like bricks, but they have a bucketload of weapons mounts to counter this, as such they can bring enormous amount of firepower into the battle. The "big" frigate in particular showed to be pretty deadly.

I didn't use the standard variants though (autocannons are far too inaccurate for my taste). But fitted with light assault cannon or railgun, they can bring pain to pretty much everything. Also big frigate is probably the best Hound killer i have seen in a balanced mod (can kill one in a single pass).

The small frigate however is pretty lackluster. It is crazy fast but lack the maneuverability to properly fight and tend to cross the whole map without being able to brake. And the tiny firing arc prevent it to hit anything. So more maneuverability should make it much more useful, something like a heavy Hound.

The destroyer as well as the Cruiser (haven't tried yet the missile boat and the carrier) are damn good too. They can make rain enough Dakka to drown pretty much everything under a deluge of fire. Might fix the Cruiser cost though, 120 credit is a little cheap. Oh also, i think the sides "wings" of the cruiser are a bit too bright and it tends to hide the details, if you could darkened them a bit, it would be perfect.

I was a bit disappointed by the Battleship though. For 150.000 credit and 23 FP i expected it to be a brute. Sure it is very hard to take down but the weapons arc feels a bit awkward. Especially the two large mounts facing backward being a bit wasted. I didn't tried much the missiles slots as i was playing a heavily ballistic oriented fleet. But then again, two large missiles mounts seems a bit out of context in comparison to the "in your face" fighting style of the faction.

After re-reading my post, it sound like a lot of bitching. But honestly, i think it is one of my favorite faction right now.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »

new update 0.3
change log on first post as well as new link

I tried it, i loved it. The playstyle is pretty unique. Of course some stuffs aren't working quite right (like the names) but overall that's pretty good.

I havnt found out why the names arent working, can anyone help me find out why?

What i loved with them was the whole "boating small guns" thinking. The frigates are shieldless and fly like bricks, but they have a bucketload of weapons mounts to counter this, as such they can bring enormous amount of firepower into the battle. The "big" frigate in particular showed to be pretty deadly.

i hope not too deadly that it can take down a cruiser or a large fleet on its own, else ill have to nerf it

I didn't use the standard variants though (autocannons are far too inaccurate for my taste). But fitted with light assault cannon or railgun, they can bring pain to pretty much everything. Also big frigate is probably the best Hound killer i have seen in a balanced mod (can kill one in a single pass).

yea i always thought that the variations were to be substandard to what can be placed on there and i based the ordinance points to match that so anything better would require skills

The destroyer as well as the Cruiser (haven't tried yet the missile boat and the carrier) are damn good too. They can make rain enough Dakka to drown pretty much everything under a deluge of fire. Might fix the Cruiser cost though, 120 credit is a little cheap. Oh also, i think the sides "wings" of the cruiser are a bit too bright and it tends to hide the details, if you could darkened them a bit, it would be perfect.

I hope the destroyer and cruiser arent too strong to take on things larger than themselves too well

I was a bit disappointed by the Battleship though. For 150.000 credit and 23 FP i expected it to be a brute. Sure it is very hard to take down but the weapons arc feels a bit awkward. Especially the two large mounts facing backward being a bit wasted. I didn't tried much the missiles slots as i was playing a heavily ballistic oriented fleet. But then again, two large missiles mounts seems a bit out of context in comparison to the "in your face" fighting style of the faction.

After re-reading my post, it sound like a lot of bitching. But honestly, i think it is one of my favorite faction right now.

I had originaly intended fo that ship to be a broadside ship but with its maneuverability I guess it didnt work out well, so i changed those in the update so the back 4 weapons are 360 degrees, those missile slots are there because lore wise they used to be exploration probe launch bays that have been refitted to launch missiles instead

bitching you say? I say constructive criticism
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:26:32 AM by Ember »

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Firestorm Federation [0.3 WIP]
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »

well new update to starsector and i have no idea what to do to update my mod

can anyone help me?

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

I think the most basic thing is just updating your ships with CR
Can also insert your own system for your faction to chill out in.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »

That's for some of us easier said than done, Silver Silence. :P

@Ember: First I'd take a look here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6607.0
That way you can first make your mod compatible and then you can go from there.
I'd help, but as long as my mods aren't done yet I don't have a nice template to create your system from. So it'll take some time before I can help you out.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »

I just wanted to encourage you and say that I love the look of these ships!
Spoiler

[close]

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Firestorm Federation [0.4 WIP]
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

ok all ships now work with the CR system
unfortunately that's all I managed to do

I am unsure how to set up a system for my faction so any help with that is welcome

right now the only hull mod i have is the automate repair system just renamed, and with the out of battle repair removed. what numbers do i change to decrease weapon and engine repair times in battle?

ship class names are still not showing up and I have no idea why

im now working on some of the civilian ships so hopefully those will be out soon

I would love to make my own weapons but Im a bit confused as to how to do so so any help there would be apreciated

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Firestorm Federation [0.4 WIP]
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »

I agree that these ships look fantastic can't wait to try it with the new update!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11