Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New computer, graphical issues  (Read 2791 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
New computer, graphical issues
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »

So I have recently got a new computer, an Alienware m17XR4 to be exact with an nvidia 660M. It was fine for about 4 days then kapeesh little lines of flickering randomness have started to appear. I can try to ignore them, but it is a brand new pc an I feel like shouldn't have to go through this issue.

After calling support they have deduced that its not my invidia driver and that they can't see the graphical issues when I share my screen with them. So it leaves me with the question, what in the heck is going on and how do I fix it?

Anyone have any thoughts/ suggestions on this?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New computer, graphical issues
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »

After calling support they have deduced that its not my invidia driver and that they can't see the graphical issues when I share my screen with them.
So it leaves me with the question, what in the heck is going on and how do I fix it?
Broken screen. Replace screen.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »

^this
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »

Could also be your graphics card, I don't THINK it would register on their system as the processing for visual information would be done only on their machine :P
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

Ugh. Well If it is a broken screen, can it be replace /fixed if I send it to a dell contractor? It should be covered under warranty I would think.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Yeah, definitely get that pc back to where you bought it, because some hardware failure is imminent.
Question is: Which hardware. Videocard, screen or in rare occasions even the motherboard.

But that's for them to ponder over. :)

Edit: If you're unsure if it's your screen, try to borrow some other guy's screen. (Take your pc to his place or something.)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

Not quite sure about the warranty, as that depends on law. But if you bought this recently (as you stated), you should be fine. Just backup any data you have on there and call customer support (or talk to the people you bought it from) about sending the laptop back.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

That won't be the screen. That'll be the GPU. Flickering lines are the most common kind of GPU artifact. Send it back.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.