Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sprites creation technique  (Read 4938 times)

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
Sprites creation technique
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »

This is more request then suggestion but still:

Share with use official technique and list of tools used to create ingame sprites. Reason for it should be giving mod community basic know-how how to create ships and assets that fit with game stylization and to avoid ship stitching or using editor from different game to create new ships (not saying it is bad, just it would be imho nice to see completly original new ships in mods, that could my maybe use in later official release).

Now why I am asking:
Reason isn´t that I dont like actual mods, there are some incredible sprites, but I would like to create something on my own as close to possible to official sprites. Please don´t answer "if you dont know how don´t even ask", I am doing CG for several years, lot of it for commercial use and as commisions.

At the moment I have plan how to achieve similar result through 3D using carving maps, but still would like to know what is original technique behind those ships, thank you :).

And by the way.. this game is great :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Sprites creation technique
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »

Hello Ravendarke :)

David is Starsector's artist, if you are interested in his methods I would suggest you start by reading this and this and this blogpost. You can find some additional (although not directly method-realted) information in other art-blogposts. For concept art look in this thread. That's also a good place to ask specific questions to David, though I don't know how often he reads the forum atm.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »

Thank you for your answer, it was most helpful.

IceXuick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »

I use mostly prefab sprites from BSF - and edit and mesh 'em around.
I'm working on doing "spriting in 3D", maybe there's going te be a tutorial about this soon...