Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 467099 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: [0.6.2a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.0.1
« Reply #540 on: January 14, 2014, 06:26:44 AM »

Besides the burst in gamma and x-rays, thermal radiation and having pieces of your hull accelerated at great speeds through the rest of your ship, you also have to deal with the physical shock wave.

You know... I had a great time visualizing this.

Anyway, even though I can destroy an entire Hegemony command fleet in Exerelin with just one Sajuuk-Khar, I'll leave it this way, for you guys.
Hopefully this ship will remain a player owned ship only, because fighting against it would be a nightmare.
If you happen to read this, Zaphide, don't give the Sajuuk-Khar to the AI please. ;D

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »

Well, interestingly enough - we've actually tested nuclear detonations enough and have seen enough examples of the effects of the blast-wave and accompanying EM and particle radiation to have drawn up a material that can withstand contact detonations with a nuclear device in the vacuum of space - wood. Well, an Orion drive is a bit more complicated than that - but the main danger to a vessel from nuclear detonations is force transmitted from the blast applying G-Forces in excess of the structural and biological tolerances aboard.

A little bit of fluid to ablate and disperse the plasma and absorb the energy transmitted in the visual/infrared spectrum and a traditional nuke is utterly ineffectual; suprising, no? But absolutely adherent to basic laws of physics when you think about it - a nuke is an isotropically radiating body, 90% of the force is wasted into the greedy vacuum of space.

Which is of course why there are Shaped Nuclear Charges devised for propulsion and of course immediately repurposed for warfare, but that's not in the purview of this particular digression.

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »

Aah. the Orion drive. I have to say, the idea of propelling oneself across the stars using multiple sequential nuclear explosions to accelerate and decelerate always had significant appeal to me.  ;D

I have to agree with most of what you said though Ishman, with the slight exception of the system in question rendering a contact nuke "utterly ineffectual". As you previously pointed out, the squishy crew and sensitive equipment is the most likely point of failure. This is especially problematic because unlike a pusher plate for an orion drive, most hull armors are not equipped with gigantic shock absorbers to... well, absorb the shock. Even if we somehow got around that particular issue, we also have to deal with the fact that most ships are not featureless blocks of armor. things like weapons, sensors, comms arrays and the like are likely to be more fragile than the armor in question, and will likely need to be on the outside of the hull.  :P

Naturally, as you also mentioned, this is assuming that the vaygr aren't using shaped charge warheads, in which case I'm just giving up and calling hax on the part of Hiigaran engineers. Regardless, the fact that hiigaran ships are not only able to survive multiple contact fusion warhead impacts but also still remain combat effective after multiple impacts is... incredibly impressive, all told.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:56:16 AM by echosierraalpha »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »

Anyway, even though I can destroy an entire Hegemony command fleet in Exerelin with just one Sajuuk-Khar, I'll leave it this way, for you guys.
Hopefully this ship will remain a player owned ship only, because fighting against it would be a nightmare.
If you happen to read this, Zaphide, don't give the Sajuuk-Khar to the AI please. ;D
Belay that order Zaphide! *Imagines the Khar in the AI's paws along with them having high level skills*
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #544 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

Belay that belay that order, Zaphide! *gags Midnight Kitsune*

@echosierraalpha: Well, the only ship remotely resistant against those huge missiles is the Hiigaran cruiser, which health is about halfed after getting an entire volley up its arse. Everything else is really, really squishy in Homeworld 2. In my opinion anyway.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 14, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

<_<
>_>
Every Hiigaran fleet suddenly is full of Sajuuk-Khar's...

Haha  ;D

For Exerlin specifically:
The AI in Exerelin will very very occasionally deploy a Sajuuk-Khar (like 1% of the time).

If playing as Hiigaran, the player can get access to the Sajuuk-Khar by spending 10 Aptitude points in the Faction skill tree, and then spending 10 points in Fleet Deployment. This will trigger the 'Elite Ship Chance' perk, that will increase the likelihood of the Sajuuk-Khar appearing in your factions AI fleets (if you are playing as Hiigaran) and you will be gifted a single Sajuuk-Khar in your storage facility :o

Once your faction starts winning, you have a higher chance of your fleets rebelling, which could mean you end fighting rebel Hiigaran Sajuuk-Khar's...  :P

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #546 on: January 14, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

My gawd. :o I had hoped they weren't used, since I didn't see one yet. Okay, guys, nerf incoming!
*arms Sajuuk-Khar with snowball launchers and a wooden club*

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »

<_<
>_>
Every Hiigaran fleet suddenly is full of Sajuuk-Khar's...

Haha  ;D
My work here is done!

For Exerlin specifically:
The AI in Exerelin will very very occasionally deploy a Sajuuk-Khar (like 1% of the time).

If playing as Hiigaran, the player can get access to the Sajuuk-Khar by spending 10 Aptitude points in the Faction skill tree, and then spending 10 points in Fleet Deployment. This will trigger the 'Elite Ship Chance' perk, that will increase the likelihood of the Sajuuk-Khar appearing in your factions AI fleets (if you are playing as Hiigaran) and you will be gifted a single Sajuuk-Khar in your storage facility :o

Once your faction starts winning, you have a higher chance of your fleets rebelling, which could mean you end fighting rebel Hiigaran Sajuuk-Khar's...  :P
Makes me wish I could play this mod, but alas with my craptop and the "unoptimized" state that SS is in, combined with the SHEAR NUMBER of stuff going on in Exerelin and my comp just STOPS...

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: [0.6.2a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.1.0
« Reply #548 on: January 21, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

[0.6.2a] v1.1.0
- Updated for 0.6.2a. (It already said so in the topic title, but this was untrue ofcourse, since 0.6.2a wasn't even released! Somehow I messed up version numbers.)
- Repainted Fiirkan. It's now properly blue.

@Midnight Kitsune: What about playing Exerelin with less planets/systems/factions? ???

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 21, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »

@Midnight Kitsune: What about playing Exerelin with less planets/systems/factions? ???
Mainly because I have a craptop. An example: with nothing but SS active, I have the following FPS and idle percentages with only your mod, Kadur Theocracy, Omnifactory, Lazylib, and bounty hunters active:
Menu: 56 FPS, idle 30%
Campaign overworld, no fleets visable but my own and paused: FPS: 63, Idle: 28%
Campaign overworld, no fleets visable but my own: FPS  52, Idle: 6%
Campaign overworld with ONE tritach SDF level fleet and paused: FPS: 50, idle: 17%
Campaign overworld with ONE tritach SDF level fleet: FPS: 43, Idle: 3%
Battle screen in a fight with tritach SDF level fleet, no ships visible: FPS 52, Idle 3
Battle screen in a fight with tritach SDF level fleet, no ships visible and paused: FPS 54, Idle 3
Battle screen in a fight with tritach SDF level fleet, no ships visible, on the "fleet control" screen: FPS 45, Idle 30
One salvo of missles fired at a single, radar visible enemy: FPS 45, Idle 3
Two live enemy frigs and one dead one: FPS 30, Idle 3 (paused: FPS 45, Idle 3)
Basically what I am saying is that I have a very bad craptop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:40:37 AM by Midnight Kitsune »

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »

Tried this out for a few hours and I'd say it made a generally positive impression.  The ship art is nice and the variety that exists is great.  Small energy could really use something other than the pulsar beam as an option though.  Not really sure why the Kava has the Accelerated Ammo Feeder, wouldn't Fast Missile Racks make a lot more sense?

Got the Koshiir battlecruiser and enjoying it.  The Singularity cannon is quite powerful, but I would say it doesn't seem to match its description perfectly.  Firing once a second doesn't feel like it's needing to charge, so I'd suggest either using the charge system with it and a slow recharge rate or just a slower firing rate.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #551 on: January 23, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »

The Kava has an ammo feeder? Big oops. Will be changed in next version.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 23, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »

Welp, I have another beef with the Khar (please don't shoot me) :The AI can NOT use it, mainly the main gun, right sadly...
Example: Made a variant, extracted it, put it in the sim mode and faced it with a 60 CR non flagship (IE no piloted ship boosts) and the result was that the AI damn near overloads itself before I'm even in range so all it takes is a little of holding fire and then once he is in range, alpha striking him. He overloads then dies soon after...

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #553 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »

I can imagine the AI taking no account with the massive flux that builds up after it fires once.
Sadly, I wouldn't know how to solve this, although it can fire at least 3 shots (I think) when you're at a high level and have the right upgrades.

If only you could tell the AI to only use a particular weapon if it has flux to spare. ???

(No worries, I won't shoot anyone. Now whiplashing is another thing entirely. ;D)

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »

I can imagine the AI taking no account with the massive flux that builds up after it fires once.
Sadly, I wouldn't know how to solve this, although it can fire at least 3 shots (I think) when you're at a high level and have the right upgrades.

If only you could tell the AI to only use a particular weapon if it has flux to spare. ???

(No worries, I won't shoot anyone. Now whiplashing is another thing entirely. ;D)
In the base AI if you build up your flux to near maximum they wont use weapon that will risk overloading you, maybe you could tweak that? But it doesnt seem to take charge up weapon into account tho so im not sure how you would do that. Then again, just a small pointer i saw while playing that might be worth investigating, if the combat logic is externalised of course.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 64