Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 470691 times)

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.0.0
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »

*pokes Gotcha!*
I sent you a draft of the story. hope you like it :D

dgibso29

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

Wow awesome sprites, can't believe i didn't notice this before now (especially since i love homeworld).

This so many times. Definitely checking it out, excellent work!

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »

@echosierraalpha: Story posted!
@Everyone else: Please look for it in the main post. :)

@Admiral666: Thanks!

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

Excellent  8)

Hey gotcha, I've been playing Hiigaran descendants for a while and I seem to have noticed that while all other ship classes (frigates, cruisers and capital ships) have a dedicated missile ship, the destroyer class seems to be lacking one. do you plan to add one eventually, or leave it as is?

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

I think I'll leave it as it is, unless people really really REALLY want one. :)

I've got no additional ships planned. Apart from a modified Jet/Kaan frigate to function as a freighter/tug that is.

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »

Fair enough :P
also, Daaaww. that thing is just adorable :D

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »

Oohh that's a nice small civilian/industrial :D

I'm fine with all combat roles not being covered in every class, there's a good spectrum of choice here.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

well, to be fair, what I had in mind was less guided-missile destroyers, and more like an anti-fighter destroyer.
so basically, its has 4-6 small missile mounts equipped with the Tviir SRM pod for anti-fighter work. with maybe a couple of Point defenses on top.
It'll get wrecked by anything larger than a frigate, but it will absolutely chew through fighters and frigates like nobody's business.
(why yes, I have been playing HW-1 again, hello there perdition-class missile destroyer) :D

I also wanted it if only because the Tviir doesn't get enough love, with only a handful of ships to using it :( 

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

So you'd like a medium-sized Tviir? Edit: Hmm, maybe I'll add a small missile mount on the Vraan. Will think about it.

Edit2: How about I aim the Vraan's rear turret forwards and make it a missile mount?

Homeworld 1's missile destroyer is probably my favourite spaceship ever. <3 What a magnificent sight to see it unload its stuff and pop fighter wings like champagne bottles brewing inside a burning firework shop.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:59:40 PM by Gotcha! »

Lifeforce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

@echosierraalpha: Story posted!
@Everyone else: Please look for it in the main post. :)

Thank you! (:

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

Well, actually, I would much prefer to leave the vraan unadjusted and simply create a new variant of the vraan that is more missile oriented.

maybe convert the four small kinetic mounts on the sides and the two medium ones up front with small missile ones instead.
so that leaves the rear small kinetic turret, the center medium kinetic turret and then everything else becomes small missile mounts!
this setup works because the small kinetic turret at the rear can cover its only weak-spot on the shield (the rear), and since everything else is just missile pods, (which doesn't generate flux) it should allow for a tough anti-fighter destroyer that can chew through entire fighter squadrons in seconds while retaining its shields. sure it will die to missile spams and destroyers, but it can do this one job Really, Really well.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2013, 04:54:02 PM »

Hmm, I think having too many Tviirs on one ship leads to an overpowered ship.
Since these missiles do explosive damage they can be a real threat to large ships when in numbers. And although they live a lot shorter than larger missiles, they are also a lot faster and have a high turning rate.

I might replace 2 of the Vraan's small mounts with universal mounts. How'd that be?

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

well, the thing about those missiles is that they are only useful against either weak ships such as shielded fighters and frigates,  and are practically useless against anything bigger, really. with the sole exception, of course, of the buffalo II (and freighters) but, well, the buffalo II is the buffalo II. there's not much it isn't weak against. :P
Additionally, you need to close the range significantly before engaging, so really, the only ships that are at risk that are larger than a frigate are those that are un-shielded and close to you, and if that's the case, it doesn't really matter what weapon I have on my destroyer, you are not gonna walk away from the fight. ;D

besides, with so little PD and only 1 medium mount, it's effectiveness is very limited to the missiles it can carry, and even a buffalo can take out this missile variant Vraan down once its out of missiles, something that is very possible due to the fact that each missile launcher only has 8 salvos before it runs out (more with the extended missile racks).

edit: welp, did the numbers, six Tviirs will murder everything smaller than a cruiser, assuming that there is no PDs to intercept, and with the flux generated by the shield so low, you can practically ram your target and then unload everything you have on it point blank, effectively crippling or even overloading their shields without having most of your missiles be shot down on the way. :o granted, this requires player intervention, and the AI isn't smart enough to do this trick and even then you will still likely spend most, if not all your missiles in the process, but your point may have merit.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:42:43 PM by echosierraalpha »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »

Well, I guess I'll need to run a few tests. You'll definitely get two universal mounts on the Vraan. At the moment I can't promise more. :)
Because of the aforementioned reason (which needs testing), but also because the ship doesn't look like the type of ship that would carry only missiles. In my opinion. :)

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »

regarding looks: ;D fair enough.

Alternatively, you could always replace the current Tviir so that it does flak damage instead (proximity detonated, of course) so as to remove the need for balancing entirely. this is actually better, as a matter of fact, because the Tviir isn't very useful against wasps At the moment, and is more suited for bomber and frigate interception :)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 64