Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 470717 times)

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.6.1
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2013, 06:45:54 AM »

aw... bu- but... how else will these poor hiigarans fulfill their destiny of creating huge banana-shaped motherships that will eventually roam the galaxy for one reason or another while popping out ships like rabbits? think of the children hiigarans man! they have their needs too y'know :D

besides, you can always say that these Hiigarans were never able to fully re-create PDA technology, and that the knock-off model had they have on the shipyard can only create materially unstable ships that will degrade after a short while, hence why the shipyard has to scrap and dismantle the ships after the battle.  8)

In all seriousnes though, if you say no, I will respect your decision, and stop bemoaning missed Opportunities not bring up the matter again. Its your mod, after all.

@ drone problems: well that just sucks :(
now, I know I've said this before, but I'm not a modder, so I'm unsure if this possible solution is even... possible, but can you make the turret platform a "projectile" instead? so have a built in-weapon called a "platform creator", and have it launch platforms as its "ammunition". if the platform projectile has a speed of 0, it should stop as soon as its "launched." now, the way the AI uses weapons is that it (should) only fire when the target is within range. If you limit the range, the ship should only launch platforms when the ship gets near its target which, chances are, would be near the middle. Of course, this is all coming from a lay person so I could just be blowing smoke from my rear.  :-[

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »

You're my lore keeper! These hiigarans have never heard of silly banana-shaped motherships. :P
Also, what sane person would have his crew build ship after ship, knowing they'll degrade after 15 minutes?
Heck, I wouldn't want to be a crew member onboard such a ship. While you're cruising you can see holes appearing in the ceiling! ;D

@Turrets: I don't think it's possible.
The biggest problem is the AI. I know nothing about this java stuff so I can't really tell what the possibilities are. But in short, what I would need is a ship that deploys his turrets (in the same manner as drones) only when the player tells it to. That's the only solution I can think of.

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »

:-[ Well crud... looks like you caught me red handed there. I guess I have to apola-
wait, why are some of your ships (fighters, bombers, corvette, carrier and Saajuk-Khar) shaped after HW2 ships?/ totally not a distraction

*flees*

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »

*trows a Wodaan-class carrier on your head*

Hmpf. >:(

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »

:D

tell you what. This is strickly non-canon, but we can handwave that particular problem away by saying that the new hiigarans managed to bring with them some blueprints from the hiigaran homeworld database, the same database that the Kushan found and accessed when they finally returned to Hiigara. While these blueprints were old, the basic hull designs as laid out in those plans are good enough that both the Kushan and your hiigarans eventually used them. (this would, incidentally, explain the significant differences in design between hw1 and hw2)

this way, you don't have to re-do half the entire fleet.

Also, it would allow me to plausibly claim that there is a banana-shaped ship somewhere in there, and as such reclaim some of my dignity/credibility.  :P

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »

Baaah, you just want your banana shaped mothership. Tell you what, if you find good enough art to use as a base then you'll get one. ;D

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »

to be honest, not really. the pride as seen from the top would just be a rectangle, while if you were to lay on the side, it just wouldn't be the same...
though, I do have one ship that I really, really want ^_^ above all else:

this: (careful, its big)
Spoiler

http://media.desura.com/images/mods/1/16/15726/Pirates_-_CapitalShip_X.jpg

I've always loved the Hiigaran destroyer. its like a ww2 ship! in space! with cannons and torpedoes!
[close]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:41:52 AM by echosierraalpha »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »

Can't really find a proper top down render to create that ship, but I am also doubtful if I should.
See, I really love it too, when watching it from the side. Like some water-bound ship destroyer... in space!
The top is less interesting though, and if I did make it it'd just be a copy of the Saarkin, weapon-wise. :-\

There are already too many ships in this mod. Don't mind adding another, if I have a good enough render I can use and if the ship would fulfill a special role. :)

Now that I mention it, I've been wanting to ask if there are ships in this mod people never use. Not because they're ugly but because they're ineffective.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

You can never have too many ships. No such thing.  :P

VARIETY, MAN!  :D

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »

been to focused on my own faction, but the ships i don't really use... hrm, i would say that glass cannon cruiser is one since it can only dish out a small salvo before it hits max flux as well as the missile cruiser as ive only been able to get missiles past point defenses if ships are overloaded or venting, or when thier weapons are down, other than that are rare hits they slip past the point defense

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »

Ah, but the thing is, I have a perfect role for this ship or, rather, alot of them. both destroyers currently have either ballistic or energy mounts... this could be an oppurtunity to give a destroyer with 3 medium universal mounts! it could do close in ballistic weapon support! it could be a missile ship! or even act as an AA (both energy and ballistic/flak) platform! versatility is key, and with 3 medium universal mounts and maybe 2-4 small one, it could very well fill any role! for balancing, you could have higher fleet points and ordanance points (as well as cost).

it would also act as an oppurtunity to re-balance the flak gun. as it stands, it's still a little OP due to its small size, which gives it a Huge edge over its vanilla counterparts. (high ROF didn't help much either) make it a medium, while retaining its high ROF and damage, and this could make the gun less OP. As it stands, I don't know why anyone would not choose the flak over the PD guns :/

also, I did provide a top-down render in my previous post, its right there in my picture hidden by my spoiler. just scroll to the right a little bit. (or follow the link provided. same picture, in a less troublesome format) http://media.desura.com/images/mods/1/16/15726/Pirates_-_CapitalShip_X.jpg

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »

the flak guns are horrible against shields an armor depite their rate of fire and damage, i usualy use a mix of pd and flak, flak to deal with missiles and the rest to deal with ships and shield
ive tried an all flak jet, it didnt survive long

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »

I saw the top down view of that ship in your picture, echosierraalpha. But it'd need too much work for a non-artist like me.
It would also stand out too much compared to the other ships.
Even this picture is not good enough. :P

Edit: I also think that adding too many universal slots on a ship makes it hugely unbalanced, since you can basically do anything with it.
This mod started out as such, having universal slots everywhere, but I took them all off again really fast.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:46:15 PM by Gotcha! »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »

ALL the cheesy all-missile spam builds.  :P

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2013, 03:28:40 AM »