Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 467086 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: [0.54.1a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.5
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2013, 07:06:18 AM »

@silentstormpt: Me is confused. ???

@Silver Silence: Lore would not allow it. 'My' Hiigarans predate the first game, Homeworld.
Explanation in short: Hiigarans needed to move to another planet after losing a war. This happens thousands of years before Homeworld 1 starts. (This story is told when playing through Homeworld.)
Some ships were lost during this long journey (The Exile). I just made some extra ships abandon the convoy by going through a wormhole. (Cheap, I know. x) )

So the New Hiigarans have never witnessed the events in all three Homeworld games.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »

Doesn't mean the other empires are have disappeared into thin air.  :D

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »

Hey Gotcha,

Regarding the planet Daiamid, specifically how the Hiigarans are planning to move the water from there to New Hiigara, wouldn't it be easier to just use comets instead? Comets are pretty much commonly found in any system, and there are loads and loads of comets that are just pure ice, ready to be thawed (In fact there are theories floating around that this might be where earths' water comes from) additionally, from a practical stand point, moving an entire ocean from one planet to another is well... ambitious, to say the least :) worse come to worse, the new Hiigarans can use their hydrogen extracted from Jaakul and mix it with oxygen -much easier logistically.

also, reaaally small nitpick, but Kiith Soban was founded after splintering from another, larger kiith back in Kharak long after the Hiigarans landed there, and as such probably wouldn't exist in this mod :)
http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Kiith_Soban

Even smaller nitpick: the Skaal Ion beam cruiser is named after a predator native to kharak, which probably doesn't exist on New Hiigara, though you could always hand-wave it away by saying that these Hiigarans coincidentally named a creature the exact same name that the Kushan did back on Kharak. (in fact, this explanation is even entirely plausible - same language, same culture of origin, ect)

sorry if I come off as a bit OCD, but my inner space geek compelled me ;)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »

wait 3 homeworld games? i only know of two

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

@Silver Silence: They didn't. Their future is out there... in their own galaxy. :P

@echosierraalpha: I believe as well that Earth got his water this way, but throwing comets on an inhabited planet might not be the solution the New Hiigaran people are looking for. :P Comets bombarded the crap out of poor Earth first. Even though they contained water, Earth would be volcanic for a long time before cooling down. If I remember discovery channel correctly.
I didn't think about mixing hydrogen with ogygen, but that sounds a lot more practical. I'd make a poor planet settler. I'll change the descriptions and lore to that. Thanks!

About Soban, I am glad someone is fan enough to catch me red-handed. You're absolutely right and I thought about not adding them. But as I was creating the naming list I found that there weren't many last names/kiith I could add, so I tossed it in there. Just like that. :-[ *shame*

Aaand, the Skaal, yep, a predator native to Kharak. I think I can get away with this one! I imagine Kharak was a known planet to the Hiigarans (or at least the ones that took the time to study) and that they knew exactly where they were shipped off to. So maybe the animal was already known, due to its appearance in holographic libraries.

>_>'

Yes? No?

<_<'

@Ember, Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Homeworld 2. :)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

@silentstormpt: Me is confused. ???

@Silver Silence: Lore would not allow it. 'My' Hiigarans predate the first game, Homeworld.
Explanation in short: Hiigarans needed to move to another planet after losing a war. This happens thousands of years before Homeworld 1 starts. (This story is told when playing through Homeworld.)
Some ships were lost during this long journey (The Exile). I just made some extra ships abandon the convoy by going through a wormhole. (Cheap, I know. x) )

So the New Hiigarans have never witnessed the events in all three Homeworld games.

Even so, this is a map of the entire galaxy, and also gives you a general view of the whole perspective on the empires locations

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »

As Gotcha mentioned, the Descendants are a splinter of the Hiigarans, not the Hiigarans themselves. They're ignorant of the happenings of the Homeworld games and feature just in this mod.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »

@silentstormpt: Thanks, but as a notorious Homeworld fanboy I already had 3 copies of that map on my harddrive. :D

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »

Hey Gotcha!

first of all, regarding comets: they are mostly composed of water with a few small bits of rocks/ dust inside. as long as the hiigarans chose comets with minimal rocks/dust, the vast majority of the comet should evaporate in re-entry long before it hits the ground. Of course, this method, if used too much (and yes, chuking an entire ocean's worth of comets do indeed fall within the "too much category") would heat atmosphere a small amount. However, with a little luck, that much water vapor in the upper atmosphere should also serve to block a significant amount of the sun's rays, reflecting them back into deep space and canceling the heating effect on the planet somewhat. ultimately, I'm much more sure about the viability of this method than even the Hydrogen + Oxygen method, primarily because the latter requires so much shipping that it would be incredibly difficult or take incredibly long period of time to accomplish. (transporting enough hydrogen to make an ocean? lol.)

Secondly, regarding the Skaal: While I admit that it is possible, it is also (according to the wiki anyways) highly unlikely.

"With the beginning of the Exile, the entire surviving Hiigaran population was forced to board a convoy of transports that would ferry the Hiigarans through space until a suitable homeworld could be found for them to resettle themselves on. For generations, the convoy ventured into deep space, and eventually, the Hiigarans as a race were virtually forgotten. During the journey, the Hiigarans suffered miserably and soon lost their sense of identity. Many of them did not survive the journey due to the primitive technology employed by the convoy, leading to the loss of many vessels and their passengers. Despite the hardship, the Hiigarans eventually found refuge on the desert world of Kharak, where the Hiigarans found a place to call home and reestablished themselves as the Kushan."

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/The_Exile

judging from the lines bolded above, its more than likely that the the hiigarans didn't even know that kharak existed before stumbling into it. :(

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

I'll take your word on the comets. Take note though that it is not New Hiigara's goal to create oceans. Just to have water in abundance to grow their population.

Ouch. I think I need to rewrite some of the captain's log. Thanks for the heads-up. I was sure I read somewhere that they knew where they were send off to. It's also been too long since I played Homeworld.
I am going to credit you as loremaster. :D

Edit: Captain's log changed. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:40:24 PM by Gotcha! »

echosierraalpha

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2013, 12:43:16 PM »

ah, that makes far more sense  :D

also, 9 posts and already loremaster. sweet! ;D

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »

I know the mod is supposed to be vanilla balanced, but I find a lot of the Hiigran ships are a little underpowered considering their tech level according to lore, and the general look of them.

Then again my favorite mod is still Neutrino which is 'vanilla balanced'- its balance just happens to be the antithesis of most vanilla ships.

Most factions have their one common theme or strength, and I have trouble deriving what the Hiigran's is.

Just my thoughts so far >.>
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

The Hiigarans (according to the Codex anyway) were OP a few versions ago.

As for what their theme is, I haven't discerned much of a theme. They use both ballistic and energy based ships whereas most mod factions focus solely on one thing, Neutrino being energy, IFed being ballistic, Council being energy with a couple oddball ships. Just some nice ships that look a little different to all the rest and have their own weapons. That's enough of a unique style for me.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »

Since they have a lot of really nice carriers I'd really like to see moar fighters.

Then again I say that for every mod.

Fighters are really frakkin' awesome.

If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »

The strength is that the Hiigaran fleet has an answer for almost everything. :)
There are ships in every class using ballistics or energy. There are missile-oriented ships, glass cannons, muscle ships, etc.
Even though there are a lot of ships in this mod, I think almost all are unique in what they can do.
But that's my humble opinion.

Also, if you find some ships underpowered, do tell, because I can't do anything about it without details.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 64