Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64

Author Topic: [0.9.5a] Hiigaran Descendants v2.0.4/v5  (Read 466957 times)

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.3.2
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

realy liking the corvettes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCoA10t2Lo&feature=youtu.be

they sort of work like oversize point defense drones

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

And tougher than I thought too. Next update I will have nerfed them a bit. :)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

Yep, they need a nerf. I think reducing their flux capacity will make them more vulnerable against point defenses. Actually i'm playing with a flock of them and i have been able to steamroll everything in the sector (with Uomoz's mod).

Also, does the Hiigaran LRM reload faster than the Pilum? For now i have a Kuun-lan and a Vanaar fitted with those. And basically every battle from the enemy point of view look like this:

Spoiler
[close]

So it may need a nerf as well.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »

The Vanaar has, what, 8 missile racks? So 24 pilums at a time? Yes, your missiles certainly shall blot out the sun. I haven't played enough to see a Kuun-Lan and know of it's loadout. But the Vanaar certainly has potential for silliness. These corvettes, I know not of their names and haven't seen any frigates aside from the Jet and Kaan.

Also, out of curiousity, I don't know how to pronounce most of these names and wondered how others pronounce them. Kuun-Lan = Koon-Larn...

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »

i would say it depends on who you fight and what hull mods you use

heres a rather brutal and short fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92-Mzu0-IpM&feature=youtu.be

your nerfs are actually making some of these battles difficult

same battle but with more ships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytCf7mL8Y4Q&feature=youtu.be

still a rather painful battle also sorry about the lag, Fraps doesn't cooperate well sometimes

oh yea can you change the vraans system? the AI overuses it and it barely fires a shot in battle

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Yeah, I think I seriously went overboard with missile reloading speed. :-[
I've been playing my rear end off for the past days, balancing stuff out. Next version will have missile reloading back to vanilla values.

Changes so far:
v1.3.3
- I put the collision radius of my ships tightly around the hulls, but I noticed that vanilla ships have a much bigger radius.
  Then I figured that that is why some ships bump into eachother a lot. I increased all ships' collision radius to match shields.
- That random delivery of ships is annoying. In my games I always get an overflux of freighters, tankers and troop transports.
  I modded Thaago's Restock mod into my mod and it only restocks fighters, frigates, destroyers and freighter types.
  Freighter types are no longer delivered by supply fleets. Fighters, frigates and destroyers are.
  Anything larger than a destroyer will appear only in severe limited quantities after you buy the necessary badges.
  Exception: The Vaahrok cruiser is always available. The Faal-Corum destroyer is limited to 1.
  (Ofcourse you can always hunt down Hiigaran fleets and do some alternative finger shopping.)
- Wodaan now has 6 bombers instead of 10. Even though the Wodaan has no other means of defense (except 4 pea blasters), 10 was too much.
  Just have it stay back and use it to re-arm and repair fighters. Like a, uhh, carrier.
- Made Wodaan ship a darker blue.
- Wodaan's bombers now fly next to it instead of around it.
- Space station's fighters now fly next to it instead of around it and station gained 1 fighter.
- Changed missile refire time back to vanilla values. (= nerf)
- Nerfed Corvette (smaller shield, less hp/flux).
- Nerfed Sustained Ion beam even more (lower damage, higher flux gain).
- Nerfed Pulsar beam (slower ammo gain).
- Reduced speed of all 3 frigates.

Thanks for all the feedback. The more, the merrier!

@Ember;
oh yea can you change the vraans system? the AI overuses it and it barely fires a shot in battle
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »

Not sure if I like the slower charging on the Pulsar Beam, I kinda like having an improved burst PD. And the Sustained Ion Beam already seemed pretty gimped to me anyway. Ok-ish damage, middling range, crazy flux usage. One of the first destroyers you can buy from the Hiigarans has two of them built in and they're probably the worst weapons on it. I just smothered it in Pulsar Beams and used those instead and just left the SIBs with autofire disabled.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

i take it those are soon to come updates, not realy looking forward to having ships limited anyway I finally got to capital ships again an had some fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRVOFgHdgrs&feature=youtu.be

and even more fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgYlAgvrAU&feature=youtu.be

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2013, 04:06:35 AM »

@Silver Silence: Alright, I'll leave the recharge time of the pulsars the same. After seeing Ember's movies I guess that's okay.
I'll half my intended nerf of the ion beams, but they do need one I think. Once shields go down those beams tear up everything in no time.
I am going to add a radius to the Rathan's beams, so it can aim them.

@Ember: I wouldn't mind making the capital ships not run out after they're made available, but I'd need scripting help.
If anyone reading this doesn't mind helping, please poke me. :)
Also, nice battles. Nice to see my stuff not being overpowered.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »

Vraan's front guns are considered turrets instead of hardpoints. The Vraan also seems to suffer from an issue that causes it to turn ~45 degrees to the left or right and stay that way. I'd bought two of them and tested one out in sim against a medusa.

Tried with "Elite" standard variant and max flux/vents + hullmods variants, same occurrence.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

Nice find! Thank you. It should behave properly in the next update. (As far as I've tested it it does.)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »

Do you have plans to introduce more weapons? (If there are any more in homeworld (I never played it))
I'm playing version...1.2 I think? That's what it says anyway. There's the kinetic cannon and the HE variant, which I still don't know why you called it the burst cannon when it doesn't have a burst.  :P And then there's the Pulsar Beams, SIBs, the autopulsar and singularity cannon. It's a fair few weapons, but at the same time, it isn't much.

I prefer the Pulsars over SIBs because they seem so inefficient. The damage and flux usage is on par with a -heavy- large mount laser. Except it's a medium mount and thus, the ships that CAN mount it have woefully inadequate reactors. The Rathan mounts two of them as standard, so, 900f/s on a stock reactor that vents 200f/s. And that's before we mount other weapons such as Pulsars and potentially a 3rd SIB. That 3rd SIB bumps us up to 1350f/s against 200f/s. With double max vents, that's 600f/s. And again, that's before the Pulsars are added which are very flux intensive as well. The Rathan generally can't handle it's loadout. Granted, that's been my only experience of SIBs, but if I were to mount 7 SIBs to my Koshiir, that's something in the region of 3000f/s against a double max vent speed of around 2000. Again, before other weapons are mounted which will drive that f/s up even higher, probably into the region of 5-6000f/s with Singularities. If it needs nerfs, I think it needs nerfs in other ways than being given a more monstrous f/s for less DPS.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »

I am not planning on it, although I created a small fragmentation cannon as a request.
The problem is, with such a large amount of vanilla weapons I'd just be creating duplicates (since I am not that creative. >_> )
But I am open for suggestions ofcourse.
Also, dunno why I called it burst cannon. Kinda took the name from a Homeworld weapon which is a slow-firing cannon if I recall correctly.

About the SIB, what would you do? Leave it as it is then? Or improve it? Or maybe turn it into a single shot weapon as well?

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »

The problem is, with such a large amount of vanilla weapons I'd just be creating duplicates (since I am not that creative. >_> )

I'm perfectly fine with dupes if it means all the weapons match the style of the ship as well.  :D
Dunno if anyone feels the same way, but that's how I feel.

If I ever got around to finishing my 3d models and turning them into sprites, my plan was for 4 basic types of weapon, inspiration ripped taken from TA. So for energy weapons, that'd be an underpowered reddish-orange laser (a unit in TA used it to disable other units, so, high EMP damage in starfarer), a standard red laser which would the general purpose frigate-fighter sized laser, then the green laser for higher power and damage for destroyers and cruisers, then the blue laser or BLoD (blue laser of death) for heavy cruisers and battleships. Then some variants on those lasers, such as upscaled red/green lasers with better range, same damage and more spammy RoF with the same flux/s (so using these weapons would be ruinous on your flux). Then downscaled green/blue lasers with better alpha and lower RoF, overall resulting in lower DPS than the original. Then the steroid weapons which would be mounted on a super heavy ship of a certain class, such as a ~40FP flagship battleship. These weapons would be things like green lasers with even higher rates of fire than their upscaled predecessors with many mounted into a revolving gatling-style turret.

On the ballistic side of things, it would be a series of HE damage dealing cannons. In TA, if I remember the abbreviations, there was the MPC and the LRPC (medium/long range plasma cannon). There were also riot plasma cannons for better damage in a overall more fragile unit, rapid fire plasma cannons (the Peewee was a unit to use a rapid fire version). And then I had a mod that introduced the strategic plasma cannon, which was just another word for massive overkill. Enough range to encompass most of the map at any given time and enough damage to instagib almost any building. I planned for the 40 FP flagship to use that only.

On the missile side of things, well TA didn't have ammo, so I was going to make missiles relatively easy to shoot down in trade off for that unlimited spam. There was the standard AA (Anti All) rocket which in vanilla TD could be aimed at anything and had the longest range and thus "forests" of AA towers would be built to counter pretty much everything. There was a heavy rocket as well and a vertically launched missile of the same caliber. While the rocket was simply point and shoot, the vertical version had to fly straight up into the air first, at which point it aimed at the target in question. I was hoping to replicate that with momentary tracking upon launch, at which point the missile just flew fast in whatever direction it pointed. The rocket was just dumbfire. Then there was the tactical nuke and the strategic nuke, the strategic version being the screen-wiping base-clearing annihilator that left perfect circles of devastation where not even wrecks remained. I planned to have those delivered by corvette/light frigate-sized single bomber wings.

My source of ripped borrowed inspiration comes from an image I've linked many times in this forum. And hey, look, I did it again.

P.S.
I also did that thing again where I made a MUCH longer post than I intended to.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

*reads long wall of text*
So, should I leave the SIB as it is then? ;D

Anyway, alright, I'll go see about creating some more guns.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64