Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Linux Start up [SOLVED]  (Read 4692 times)

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
Linux Start up [SOLVED]
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »

To all linux users, I don't know if anyone has had this problem, but here it is; the game would
load part way, crash, part way, crash, an so on an so forth.

HOWEVER, this is not a cry for help, more of a thing to do that MAY, help... Run the game out of full screen on the smallest resulotion your computer can muster. Why it keeps crashing in between loadings, i've no idea exactly, but that seemed to have helped, running it three-times in a row may solve the trick as well. I had my computer come up with an internal error, an was not able to get the bug file due to the fact my entire machine froze, with only the mouse being able to move around~!

What I sort of think is happening here is this. The graphics being loaded all at the same time cause a crash, so it stops mid-way through the loading proccess, let it load three times an may or may not work, it depends on the specs of the computer.

For me i'm running on a laptop with:
3.8 Gbs Memory (not inclding swap)
Intel Core I3-2350M CPU @ 2.30ghz x 4 Processor
Linux Mint 14  64-bit
Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0X301) Graphics

Really, I just found that helps, if not, sorry.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:55:12 AM by Azmond »

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Start up
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »

Hold on for a second.
Gallium drivers? The ones used in a VM?

You do know that there's no need for a VM because Windows, Linux AND Mac are supported?

Please tell me you are not trying to get this game running in a VM.
Pretty please? With a cherry on top?
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

No... I'm not, so that means I-aaugh fudge me in the cake hole!

I need to reinstall some things i guess then... nah hell.

No i am not running this in a VM, i am running on a laptop through hardware an OS, not a VM... I took an A+ tech class an remember at least enough to know doing VM for a gmae is suicide unless it's a low load game~! xD

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »

Looks like video driver not loaded and game uses software emulation. Can you post "lspci|grep VGA" command output? 

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:17:03 AM »

The driver is loaded. It's just that the driver uses software rendering.
http://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html

Unless there's a good reason against it, I suggest you get the proprietary drivers.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''

Swanny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:29 AM »

Except with Intel on Linux there are no "proprietary" graphics drivers, just open source (except for GMA500 but we'll ignore that). Gallium is a driver architecture, nothing to do with VMs other than VMWare has their SVGA3D guest passthrough driver using it.

To the original poster - look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and dmesg for any errors as it's likely to be a version requirements mismatch between kernel module, Xorg driver and/or Mesa driver.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »

GREP VGA returns with this:
Code
$ lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

to Swanny: I looked through the Xorg.0.log file and nothing of error came up when i searched for error, I'll look for "missing"... not found... Nothing seems to come up as an error or being problematic it seems from the Xorg log...  And De shows nothing either- and if did, the terms may've flown over my head, it was 3 or so year ago before i took any sort of course~!

If worse comes to worse i simply upgrade to Mint 15 with my data backed up an restored on my system.
Speaking of the game itself i was able to play it- albeit happhazardly and with bad FPS- at 5 to 15 FPS~! So... it was playable but not in the sense of fun. If you like waiting, then it is... Idle was around the 90's...

My drivers were originally "Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile" (copied from log as this was what i remember when looking at hard-ware) I belive i some how changed my drivers to try an play Dark Accesnt, that didn't work obviously, as well as man other things... may the gods have a little mercy on my luck with computers, blah.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »

I have no clue about Intel GMAs, but let's start with the very first step.

- Check for direct rendering:
I only looked around for a little bit, but it seems that even GMAs are capable of direct rendering.
So the simple commands "xdriinfo" and "glxinfo" should print something about that.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:12:52 AM »

You have Intel HD3000 integrated video card and it 100% works in linux, just need to install xf86-video-intel package. Check this link http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/intel-releases-linux-graphics-drivers.html and this http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-use-intel-linux-graphics-drivers.html to see how to install manually.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

and this is where I curse myself...
Thanks for the help guys, I'll see what i can do.

I added the repositories and upgraded my Gfx drivers anb they now say IntelĀ® Sandybridge Mobile but, the experience is at Fall-back, which makes me think it is lesser, however~! The game runs at 60 FPS during the title screen as well as when i run a mission- only slowing down slightly due to sudden change in color of a ship blowing up~!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:44:04 AM by Azmond »

Swanny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 02:35:46 AM »

Sounds like it's working now. Basically if your glxinfo output shows OpenGL renderer string: OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile then you're hardware accelerated1. 60fps will be vsync limited which is the default with most open source Linux drivers. Even though Starsector isn't a intensive 3D game, the integrated HD3000 is still a relatively poor GPU so can slow down when the scenes get exciting.

1 At least for your native architecture which should be 64-bit. As a Java application, Starfarer will run natively at 64-bit. I'm not sure about Mint (I use Gentoo) but just to note for any 32-bit games you have you may need to install the 32-bit drivers too.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

1 At least for your native architecture which should be 64-bit. As a Java application, Starfarer will run natively at 64-bit. I'm not sure about Mint (I use Gentoo) but just to note for any 32-bit games you have you may need to install the 32-bit drivers too.

This goes a bit off topic, but the Starsector script actually uses the bundled java, which is 32-bit (I think). Same goes for the supplied libraries.
And it's actually 32-bit libraries, not 32-bit drivers (multilib-profile, rings a bell?). I'm not sure what happens when you force a 32-bit driver in a 64-bit kernel, but I expect the results to be very interesting.

Swanny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »

Good point. I'm so used to immediately ditching the outdated libraries that come with games. The replacement starsector.sh script I made uses the system Java while the included JRE gets deleted.

And yes, Linux graphics drivers are technically just libraries loaded by the application through the libGL.so library. A 32-bit application with a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit kernel is fine, but you cannot use a 32-bit application with a 64-bit driver because they're different ABI's.