Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fighter Update  (Read 65521 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighter Update
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

Blog post here.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Update
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »

Nice. Did I read that wrong, or are all fighter wings now going to be instantly repaired outside of combat, regardless of having a flight deck or not? Also, does it consume supplies directly to repair your fighters? You did mention it takes CR, which uses supplies in a round about way, but does it use supplies directly?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »

Nice. Did I read that wrong, or are all fighter wings now going to be instantly repaired outside of combat, regardless of having a flight deck or not?

Correct. "It just needs a new paint job!"

Also, does it consume supplies directly to repair your fighters? You did mention it takes CR, which uses supplies in a round about way, but does it use supplies directly?

Just CR, no direct supply use. Fighter CR recovery is fairly costly in terms of supplies, and also somewhat slow.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

AWEsome. Now I want to use fighters again.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

Interesting. I look forward to seeing how this plays out in game....
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »

Nice! Glad to see fighters get a buff, and getting the Astral a proper use :)

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Sounds great, taking out carriers early on should be even more important.

Natti

• Ensign
  • Disgruntled Orc Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »

This makes fighteres way more viable, especially the cheap ones. Talons(?) are quite useless in the current release, to be honest, but with the system described in the blog post they'll be a constant annoyance, and in large numbers even a threat.

MasterGlink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »

This is awesome, I can't wait for the update to come out and try out these new mechanics. I definitely wish there were more carriers and ships with flight decks though. Last I tried to make a fleet that had some fighters in the mix I couldn't find a good carrier ship I was pleased with and there really wasn't much choice to be had.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »

one particuliar (funny?) detail im denoting is that if my memory serves me right (please do correct me), i think only the astral as more than 1 flight deck, with every other carrier having only 1.

thats...i dont know, kinda akward ?

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »

Looks good! How will we know how many fighters we can expect from a full CR squadron or whatever we happen to have- is it something flat like 'Replacing 50% of the wing costs 10% CR' or is it set per-wing so we could have small, but easy-to-replace wings?

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »

one particuliar (funny?) detail im denoting is that if my memory serves me right (please do correct me), i think only the astral as more than 1 flight deck, with every other carrier having only 1.

thats...i dont know, kinda akward ?

Yeah the game needs a medium carrier with 2 flight decks.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »

Yesssssssss, this was exactly what I was hoping for (with some additional changes that make it work more nicely).

Now I wonder how frigates will compare to fighters. They're both getting enough changes that I can't theorycraft an answer, but I'm leaning more towards fighters at this point. The whole 'unable to be permanently destroyed' thing is pretty damn useful.

I'm especially worried about the fate of the Hyperion. It's powerful and mobile, but I'm not sure it'll be worth it if fighters and other frigates are more sustainable. Something I'll have to test out once the next version is released =3

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »

Yeah the game needs a medium carrier with 2 flight decks.

Absolutely agree.

Looks good! How will we know how many fighters we can expect from a full CR squadron or whatever we happen to have- is it something flat like 'Replacing 50% of the wing costs 10% CR' or is it set per-wing so we could have small, but easy-to-replace wings?

It'll say how many replacement chassis are available. Fighter wings also have a "CR to deploy fighter" stat, which is how much CR it costs per replacement as well. It's never really a question of replacing wings, though, but individual fighters. Unless you're losing wings, which means you don't have a carrier...

Now I wonder how frigates will compare to fighters. They're both getting enough changes that I can't theorycraft an answer, but I'm leaning more towards fighters at this point. The whole 'unable to be permanently destroyed' thing is pretty damn useful.

It's a good question. I haven't gotten enough of a feel for how the new fighters work to answer it, myself. Theory-crafting wise, every time a Talon is shot down, you should be seeing a "-100 credits" floaty in your mind. A Tempest, on the other hand "costs" around 500 credits to deploy (in supplies you'll use to recover the lost CR). Provided it doesn't take much damage, that is. So at least, comparing low end fighters to high end frigates, the frigate seems to win out on cost. Actual effectiveness is another matter, though, so it's pretty hard to compare.

Actually in the process of working some details out regarding how the supply-use-related part of this works, so some changes may occur.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »

Alex, IMHO, You really need to add an assortment of new ships. There is just no real variation right now. It's all pick this if you want a carrier, This if you want an energy cruiser..... etc
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9