Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Fighter Update  (Read 66009 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Update
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

This is really exciting stuff. Fighters are going to be much more fun to use and fight against!

Hey hey!

I'm liking this system. Makes much more sense intuitively, and solves a bunch of gameplay problems all at once. I do have one question though: how will crew casualties work with this system? If fighter wings cannot really be destroyed while carriers are active, does that mean that you won't take any casualties for any crew assigned to fighter wings when your fleet contains carriers?

I'm thinking there'll be a chance to lose crew for every fighter lost. The chance probably won't be too high, ejection systems and all that.

-Will there ever be an in-battle ammo resupply and repairs and will carriers support that role or would it be a separate "weapon" or ship?

Pretty much no. Thought about ammo resupply, just don't like it. Too fiddly, and ammo is not a mechanic I generally want to highlight in the first place. Repair drones could concievably come up as a ship system, but I don't have any specific plans in that direction.

-Any plans for phased carriers/fighters?

Carriers, probably not. Fighters, maybe. As far as actual plans, no on both counts.

-Any plans for suicide "fighters"? Probably drones that are build from carrier and suicide into other ships for lots of damage?

Those are called missiles :)

... but I suppose they could be deployed off-combat and fly into the fray.

Right, that's how I'm envisioning things. I'd imagine that all the fighter wings get scrambled ahead of the engagement to avoid the danger inherent in masses of fighters taking off mid-battle.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »

-Any plans for suicide "fighters"? Probably drones that are build from carrier and suicide into other ships for lots of damage?

Those are called missiles :)

But- But- But-........Drones~.....  :P

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

I'm thinking there'll be a chance to lose crew for every fighter lost. The chance probably won't be too high, ejection systems and all that.

Hmm, guess that works. A constant for all fighters, or would it vary between, say, Talon fighters and top-of-the-line Xyphos fighters?

For simplicity's sake it could remain a constant value, as the inevitable loss of more Talons would result in increased crew losses anyway (motivating you to stock them with green pilots).

Sir Scarfalot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:36 AM »

WOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah! I actually never use anything short of full-scale Xyphos wings in the current version, since anything less are crew sinks. Even if one of my guys dies (rare, I play conservatively), I usually lose just one crewman. Talons especially are insanely expensive to field in terms of bodies, so other than Xyphos the lightest things I field are Tempests. But now, it looks like the unshielded fighters are making a comeback...  ;D

Reminds me; could there perhaps be fighter refits? Like, fighters use "fighter-size" weapons, and buying them in bulk could be part of their repair cost, and occasionally some of the fighter weapons can be recovered? Modified fighters, anyone? :P

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 01:52:30 AM »

since we're already getting a mechanic to change where a unit is deployed from, maybe we can use that to allow carrier deployments?
mmm.... tartiflette

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 03:42:11 AM »

Reminds me; could there perhaps be fighter refits? Like, fighters use "fighter-size" weapons, and buying them in bulk could be part of their repair cost, and occasionally some of the fighter weapons can be recovered? Modified fighters, anyone? :P

That question has been asked before a long time ago, and the answer was no, we will not be able to refit or modify fightercraft.

With this recent update however it would be interesting if we could atleast add hullmods to them.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »

-What about the idea of different types of carriers for more ship variation?
Things like:
a catapult - fighters launch instantly at full speed
landing strip - fighters land instantly without slowing down
factory - much faster rebuild speed
external dock ports - faster rearm but can't rebuild

+1 this.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »

carrier types can be implemented as exclusive hull mods, ever if this is not going to be implemented in vanilla, this part of ship stats shoud be exposed to API.

Raitor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

Simply cannot wait!

Now this is just an idea but as far as shopping in the campaign I see it in 2 separate entities.

Buy a wing. Cheap set of fighters if you don't have the facilities to fabricate more of them.

Buy a factory/hangar. A much more costly hangar that's installed like a weapon system on a carrier ship.

This allows for someone without carrier support to invest in some fighter wings for cheap. A bit like what we have right now.

But it also gives each carrier a set fighter type(s)/wing(s) assigned to it.

For example you could decide to bring in your carrier with bombers go flank the capital ships while you keep the one with the interceptors closer to your fleet.

I dunno just a random idea that seemed ok in my head.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

Simply cannot wait!

Now this is just an idea but as far as shopping in the campaign I see it in 2 separate entities.

Buy a wing. Cheap set of fighters if you don't have the facilities to fabricate more of them.

Buy a factory/hangar. A much more costly hangar that's installed like a weapon system on a carrier ship.

This allows for someone without carrier support to invest in some fighter wings for cheap. A bit like what we have right now.

For example you could decide to bring in your carrier with bombers go flank the capital ships while you keep the one with the interceptors closer to your fleet.

But if you could just add hangars then what's the point of traditional carrier ships? I just don't think it could work.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

flashydragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

Mmmm, i don't think that's what he's saying ArkAngel. If there were a hull-mod that would allow 1-2 fighters harbor, that would still be less powerful than a full carrier, but yet still allow for options. carriers could take the hull-mod too (perhaps earning extra bonuses. :-*)

Loving the fighter update in general BTW! Gives it a bit more RTS-y feel, which always scores more points in my book. 8)

DeathRay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »

I'm not sure if it was said earlier, but what about the incombat replacement of fighters with a carrier which arrives later?

Lets say I have a large engagement and I can't deploy my full fleet, so I only deploy a few wings and and a destroyer. Then the wings get destroyed by an frigate and afterwards I call in my carrier. Will it than start to reproduce the wings or are they lost for the duration of that engagement?

PS: I just want to thank Alex for this awsome game ;D

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:55 AM »

-Will there ever be an in-battle ammo resupply and repairs and will carriers support that role or would it be a separate "weapon" or ship?

Pretty much no. Thought about ammo resupply, just don't like it. Too fiddly, and ammo is not a mechanic I generally want to highlight in the first place. Repair drones could concievably come up as a ship system, but I don't have any specific plans in that direction.

Then why are there sprites for munitions ships, and munitions bays on some ships like the Odyssey? I always thought the orange bays were for munitions drones, so some ships could resupply other ships but munitions ships were generally un/lightly armed.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »

I'm not sure if it was said earlier, but what about the incombat replacement of fighters with a carrier which arrives later?
Lets say I have a large engagement and I can't deploy my full fleet, so I only deploy a few wings and and a destroyer. Then the wings get destroyed by an frigate and afterwards I call in my carrier. Will it than start to reproduce the wings or are they lost for the duration of that engagement?

From what I deduce, they will be gone for that engagement, but will be available again in the next engagement of the same encounter (so if you lost them during a fight and the enemy flees, they will be available in the following escape scenario).

Then why are there sprites for munitions ships, and munitions bays on some ships like the Odyssey? I always thought the orange bays were for munitions drones, so some ships could resupply other ships but munitions ships were generally un/lightly armed.

They were planned at the beginning, or at least under consideration. I think David might have been a bit too enthusiastic with drawing them ahead of time :)  Same goes for the old phase ship sprites.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

Simply cannot wait!

Hmm. I'm not sure we need finer granularity than having a flight deck (which essentially entails a mini-autofac to produce fighter chassis.)

Assigning wings to specific carriers is something I'd thought about. Too much mircomanagement for my taste, though.

From what I deduce, they will be gone for that engagement, but will be available again in the next engagement of the same encounter (so if you lost them during a fight and the enemy flees, they will be available in the following escape scenario).

Right, lost for the duration of that engagement.

PS: I just want to thank Alex for this awsome game ;D

Thank you, glad you like it :)

I think David might have been a bit too enthusiastic with drawing them ahead of time :)

Yeah, that. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on what you see in the ol' graphics folder :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9