Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New video card  (Read 3617 times)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
New video card
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »

Hey, i'm looking for a new videocard and my eyes currently are on the GTX 660ti (or maybe the 760ti when it's out). my price point is about 300 euros, a bit above or under is ok.

So my real question is: does anybody have any tips, maybe a better or/and cheaper videocard. or a good store to buy them (i live in Holland). i have done some research on nvidia cards but i haven't looked much at the amd ones. there could also be the problem that my motherboard can not run bigger videocards than i have now, but i don't really know much about that

here are my specs i think. i use a program called CPU-Z to see my computer information.

memory
Spoiler
mainboard
Spoiler
caches
Spoiler
cpu
Spoiler
videocard
Spoiler
SPD
Spoiler

I hope its readable.

EDIT: Allright so i now have a huge stat list from speccy now
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JpiReDDjL1pJTjPTvTFgP1F
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:27:59 AM by conorano »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: New video card
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »

Get speccy first xD
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »

is it much easier?

EDIT: allright so i now have speccy, is there any way to upload the stats?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:25:38 AM by conorano »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »

Wait. Nvidia is indeed releasing the 7XX series and it's worth seeing how it stacks up against the competition.
If you really want something... go for the 7950. It's about as expensive as a 660Ti but better. Or a 7870XT, but preferably - WAIT.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »

Copy it and paste it? :P
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

i think waiting is the best option yeah. i'm just eager to buy a new one becouse of all the new games coming out. my current one isnt horrible, its just that i want to get the max experience on a single, small monitor. i'm also afraid that the 7 series could be pretty pricey for my standards.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »

what's your budget?

for a decent price (300 usd-ish, prob less) the 7870 is pretty beast, I have a 6950 but I think those got discontinued...

7950 is getting to the less cost efficient territory, I think, but still pretty good cost wise. wouldn't go any higher though

I'm not sure what you mean by motherboard can't run bigger cards (they all use PCIe 2 these days, right?) but if you're talking about the case then the 7950 is a bit longer (about an inch, depending on manufacturer) than the 7870, which is about the same as your 5850 now.

not that 7950 is a bad card, but if money or room in the case is a problem I would go for the 7870 instead. This is not taking Nvidia cards into account since idk much about them

good luck!

EDIT: waiting seems like the best option, yeah, but it'll always seem to be the best option, there'll always be just that one more price drop you want to wait for. You'll have to upgrade sometimes, now is as good a time as any. (Unless it isn't, in which case like, wait until you have more money or time to game or something)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:48:08 AM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »

I'd second the recommendation of the 7950. Either that or the 7870 will be great cards, but I'd still watch the market for a bit to see how the prices fluctuate. Alternatively, if a site like Newegg (I don't know if they ship to Europe though...) has a good deal on one of them, I'd suggest you jump on it.

One thing that does concern me a bit is your processor--if you're looking to play the latest and greatest video games on max settings, it might prove to be a bit of a bottleneck for your new video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326

Take a look at some of AMD's FX processors, they're compatible with the AM3 socket. Quad-cores are best for gaming. I might suggest getting a new processor and a 7870 when the prices drop a bit.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »

I'd like to put major emphasis, above everyone else's and my own recommendations of buying new of...
WAITING.

New AMD processors are coming out. Intel just did a Tick (Haswell) Nvidia is releasing 7XX, just wait for 8XXX and Kavari and make your choice.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »

I'd like to put major emphasis, above everyone else's and my own recommendations of buying new of...
WAITING.

New AMD processors are coming out. Intel just did a Tick (Haswell) Nvidia is releasing 7XX, just wait for 8XXX and Kavari and make your choice.

This is entirely correct please, please, please! WAIT, there are a large amount of new options that will come onto the market soon, which reduces the price of the now top end GPUs, and the new mid lines can even be better than the now top end!

SO WAIT FOR THE NEW CARDS TO RELEASE.

PL0X

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »

thank you all for your help. i'm going to wait for the new videocards to come out and i'll see about getting a new processor.