Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Amazing  (Read 3095 times)

TGS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Amazing
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »

Firstly I just want to say... this is an absolutely amazing game. I tried one of the early versions/prototypes or whatever and I really couldn't make heads nor tails out of it and it wasn't really fun attempting. But having just preordered a couple of days ago I am absolutely loving it. The style and differences of the ships and the fact that having and managing a fleet or a group of ships is actually handled in a sensible manner is awesome. I mean naturally if you are flying around with a decent fleet or group of ships there is going to be some upkeep that is required.

The only thing that I have struggled with is getting started cash wise. I mean you start with a relatively small amount of money and you have to try to gun for fleets you can actually take down whilst avoiding fleets that will destroy you, but it is fun for the most part. I can't wait to see how the outposts/manufacturing/construction features work.

I will beat the dead horse once again though in saying that the nature of this game would make an amazing multiplayer experience as long as it isn't done in a competitive 'balanced' MOBA type style (which seems to be the general 'against' consensus and I agree 100%) Of course aside from the netcode portion being hard to do I would certainly love to see this game fleshed out and completed as a single player experience then if enough money is made try to create a client<>server multiplayer model.

However back to the single player, the game really is amazing. I really hope that more people are jumping on this game and helping fund the developers. That being said... is there a donation option? Or would it be recommended that we simply buy more copies of the game?

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »

Welcome to the forums!

Indeed, this is an amazing game, and even more impressive is our modding community, you should check it out if you want to give some extra life to that corvus system! http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

On your second point there, yes, gaining cash in your starting ship is not easy, but its not very hard either, i would recommend going after lone buffalo Mk.IIs and fighter wings while you start out, they will give plenty of cash for you to progress.

And just a word of advice, "multiplayer" is taboo on this forum, things generally do not end well when multiplayer is discussed for star sector.  :P

Alex or Gothars will probably chime in here any second and steal this comment before i finish it, they can most likely fill in the details about donations and things regarding that area.

I hope you will enjoy your stay here and have a good time!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:56:47 AM »

Hi and welcome to the Forum TGS!

Glad you like the game that much. I think between the current version and the final release there will be at least as much progress as between the earliest prototypes and now, so we are all in for a fun ride :)

The best way to support the development is to spread the word! If you want to help with money, you could buy more copies and give them away to friends (or interested strangers), so more people get to try out the game.

And just a word of advice, "multiplayer" is taboo on this forum, things generally do not end well when multiplayer is discussed for star sector.  :P

Ah, come on, it's not that bad. Most here would love a multiplayer aspect in the game, it's no problem to say that, it's just not helpful to suggest it repeatedly (which wasn't done here).

Alex or Gothars will probably chime in here any second and steal this comment before i finish it

Getting paranoid? ;D

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:31:03 AM »

And just a word of advice, "multiplayer" is taboo on this forum, things generally do not end well when multiplayer is discussed for star sector.  :P

Ah, come on, it's not that bad. Most here would love a multiplayer aspect in the game, it's no problem to say that, it's just not helpful to suggest it repeatedly (which wasn't done here).

But... it usually ends bad! I'm sowwy if I expressed myself too much! :'(

Alex or Gothars will probably chime in here any second and steal this comment before i finish it

Getting paranoid? ;D

Nah.. not at all... what makes you think that? ::)

EDIT: 1111 posts :o
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:33:18 AM by ValkyriaL »

TGS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »

Well in all honesty the main reason I suggested it is because this game... in 'feeling' offers something that so many people have wanted in a space game for a very long time. The ship mechanics/flight/combat is just so solid even in the early state of the game. I don't think MP would suit the game in the current design direction, but certainly could make a good sequel should this be successful enough.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »

I will voice the small minority of being totally content with singleplayer. While I do love multiplayer I am more into local/couch co-op. Seems like any popular indie game from Don't Starve to Cortex Command to Risk of Rain, everyone clamours for multiplayer. Meh..

Maybe I just don't like getting owned by 12 year olds  :P

And I second having a look at the super awesome mods available for SS. I too at first had a hard time getting started in the vanilla game. I played the Fairy Empire mod for a little bit and it features a rudimentary trade system which helped me get on my feet and gave me a better grasp to tackle the game. When I went back to try vanilla, I was much better and had a better understanding of the game. Also watching the few let's play series out there was a big help to me too.

TGS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

I have a quick question though which I read through the manual and couldn't find an actual answer for. For all the limited/projectile weapons such as missiles and stuff... are your ships ammo in combat reflected at all in the ammo they have in campaign mode?

For example if I don't have the proper ammo for the weapons I carry in campaign mode will the ships that use said ammo not reload after combat? If not... is this going to be the intended plan for said ammo? Or are they simply not representative?

Because something I've always and I mean ALWAYS wanted was a game where logistics were key. And if you didn't bring enough ammo/weapons you would eventually run out. I've always envisioned and wanted a game almost like Settlers where everything is quantified and meaningful. Weapons matter, ammo matters, food/supplies matter etc.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »

In the current version you will always have full ammo at the start of each encounter and all ships operate at 100% until destroyed. The only logistics resource at the moment is the generic supply crate which represents everything your fleet needs. There's also fuel, but it won't be usable until multiple systems are available. For now it's just extremely valuable loot.

Alex has made it clear in the past he wants to avoid having too much micromanagement in Starsector, so I doubt per-weapon resources will ever be a thing. However, the upcoming .6a update is focused on creating a bridge between the combat and campaign layers, and will - among many other additions - introduce a new per-ship stat, 'Combat Readiness', which when low enough will have effects on your ship such as not having missiles loaded or weapons/engines having a chance to malfunction when used. Read about it here. It will also introduce a fleet-wide stat called 'Logistics', which determines how effectively you can utilize the supplies available to you. That can be read about here.

Keep in mind that if you can make a good case for a new/altered game mechanic in a post, a passing modder might take interest and implement it for you. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:54:52 PM by LazyWizard »