Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cataclysm: DDA - Awesome Post-Apocalyptic Roguelike  (Read 7273 times)

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Cataclysm: DDA - Awesome Post-Apocalyptic Roguelike
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

Hey guys,

I recently started playing this and I have found it as extremely fun and unforgiving. The game is basically an open-world, post-apocalyptic survival roguelike.

Anyone else here play it? Here's the website if anyone is interested: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:13:23 PM by SpainardSlayer »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
Re: Cataclysm: DDA
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »

Survival games are one of my favorite genres, but I'm leery of the word 'unforgiving' in your description.

Is it in the 'tough but fair' category of roguelikes, where if you know what you're doing you can almost guarantee success, but if you make a mistake it's hard to recover? Or is it one of those where the RNG can screw you over to the point you have no chance of survival no matter how skilled at the game you are?

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »

Well, if you do stupid things, then you will probably die and nearly everything wants to kill you, even poppy flowers.I don't think that the RNG really affects you a whole lot, unless it spawns you close to a terrible location like a swamp or school. I mostly said "unforgiving" cause you can die very easily and it has a rather high learning curve and a few unique elements that take some getting used to (like bionics).

So I would say tough, yet rather fair.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:56:46 PM by SpainardSlayer »

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

So I tried to make my latest character into a karate master. Unfortunately, I did not put any points into my unarmed skill, and his karate skills were pretty terrible. He ended up dieing from a zombie horde while high on weed and caffeine.

Anyone else have any interesting stories to share?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:57:20 AM by SpainardSlayer »

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

Gah, I always die in stupid ways. My latest char had a nice truck and plenty of food and a couple of guns, but no ammo. I tried to clear out a FEMA camp (it's like a prison or something) by running over everything hostile in sight. Unfortunately, I died while going to investigate a building on foot and a spider jumped behind me. Apparently, machetes are not effective against spiders.

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: DDA - Awesome Post-Apocalyptic Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »

Nice. ASCii text based rouge like. Havnt seen many of those around. But since its free, i'll give it a shot.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »

Well here is an image from my current character. Not as successful as the others, but I'm having a lot of fun because I have to scrounge for things a lot more.
It may not be obvious, but all those lower case z's are child zombies that are about to be flattened.

Note: This is a large picture.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:00:07 AM by SpainardSlayer »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »

have you tried RogueSurvivor ?
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »

I have tried both, and I have to give it over to Cat purely on the issue of depth. Even the tile set RS has doesn't compensate for the sheer amount of stuff you can do in Cat.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »

I have just noticed, and therefore feel compelled to tell you all, that C:DDA is holding a kickstarter funding drive for a dedicated developer to devote their time to it for a while!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568375735/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead-dedicated-developer

The guy who will be taken on the role (GalenEvil) is a genuinely nice guy and a top coder - so please feel free to sell important organs if you can't raise the necessary money by other means.

Go GO GO!!!

:)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"