Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Losing command points  (Read 3094 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Losing command points
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

I have an issue with the command points. I lose them while revoking orders I had just placed while paused.
*this all occurred while paused and with no mods.
Scenario: turning the tables mission: I just brought all of my ships. I order a minding pod to the sensor array. Decide to cancel the order. I get the point back. However if I order more the one ship by I visually clicking, and remove the assignment I don't get the point. You could just click and drag to select some ships and order them. This works as intended and you get your points back. So as far as I can tell its just when you click ships on at a time to the same objective. It also happens if I order one ship to one point then order another ship to another point and I repeal the original assignment.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Losing command points
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

That's just how it works - cancelling an assignment after you've used the "command channel" that was opened when you created it for something else, you don't get a point refund.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »

try send attacking order to the condor or any similar carrier
you will loose command points but order will not be executed
1'st I thought this is some mod issue but it happend to me on the 1'st Exerelin mod when it use just the vanilla ships
the only way to send an attack order to the carrier is to add more units with the carrier & then send attack order 
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »

But I was paused therefore the command channel didn't close. I should have been able to get my points back.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

try send attacking order to the condor or any similar carrier
you will loose command points but order will not be executed
1'st I thought this is some mod issue but it happend to me on the 1'st Exerelin mod when it use just the vanilla ships
the only way to send an attack order to the carrier is to add more units with the carrier & then send attack order 

Seems to work for me. What I did:

1. Start up "For the Greater Lud"
2. Deploy the Condor, nothing else
3. Create "Assault" on any objective, Condor is not auto-assigned (which is correct)
4. Select Condor, right-click on the objective, it's assigned to the "Assault"

Do you have any idea what we might be doing differently?

But I was paused therefore the command channel didn't close. I should have been able to get my points back.

Whether it's paused or not doesn't play into it, it's just the fact that the channel being open let you do something that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. So, at that point, you don't get a refund - otherwise you could exploit that to give orders for free.

In theory, the game could keep track of whatever you did and undo it when you cancel, but that'd likely be *more* confusing ("hey, why did this direct order get revoked when I cancelled an unrelated assignment?").

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »

1. Start up "For the Greater Lud"
2. Deploy the Condor, nothing else
3. Create "Assault" on any objective, Condor is not auto-assigned (which is correct)
4. Select Condor, right-click on the objective, it's assigned to the "Assault"

Do you have any idea what we might be doing differently?

well i start up  "For the Greater Lud" mission, deploy condor only, select it & right clicking on the enemy vessel/fighter wing with the right mouse button to order attack
maybe someone else could check that out

-the ABOMINATION - in progress

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

Ah my bad. Thanks for the response anyway Alex.
well i start up  "For the Greater Lud" mission, deploy condor only, select it & right clicking on the enemy vessel/fighter wing with the right mouse button to order attack
maybe someone else could check that out

i'll check on it in a few minutes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »

Ah, I see, click on a ship, right.

Fixed that up - the issue was it was trying to "rally carrier" on the enemy ship, and the rest of the game didn't approve of that :)

Codex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:15:36 AM »

I had the same thing occurring quite often.

Not only was it losing command points for random commands and being "unable" to get them back, but I came across a bug where doing an action gets you bonus command points. (more than what you start with)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »

Welcome in the community codex :)

Could you provide steps how to reproduce that bonus point bug? Sounds strange.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.