Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phase missiles  (Read 2113 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Phase missiles
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »

*Note- this has nothin to do with phase ships.

So I was thinking of all the methods of missiles in the game and I kinda wonder why their hasn't been any phase missiles. You got MIRVs, sabot stages, and so on. I kinda think it would be cool to have missiles which relied on phase(the "invisiblity" kind not the slimmer or porter.). Think of it like this. Your in some ship shooting at a target and it has amazing of, nothing's gonna make it through. Except maybe a sabot or a phase missil. Having th missile be in phase forever would be rath stupid though. So you would probably want to have it come in and out Ina timer based on the missiles "flux"?
So any thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, what?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Phase missiles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56:14 AM »

I am not sure if it is good or bad idea. What I am sure of is that I like it in general. Of course it would need balancing so those missiles could not be totally unstopable. And question is, what would happen when missile's flux would overload it? Would it just explode? Or maybe it would just stop guiding and just fly foward mindlesly? Or it would be impossible to overload missile, as it would always unphase whenever it's flux is near overload? And would this phase be one-use feature for missile? You know, it phases just afther it is being lunched, and afther it unphase it may not phase again? Or would it phase just like phase ships can - whenever AI decide that it would be benefical? Lot's of thinks to consider, but as a general idea - I do like it and would like to see it in a game.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »

If you invest in great PD for a ship it should be safe from missiles, that's only fair. A phase missile seems like something you can't do anything about, that's no fun.

Mh...I guess a missile that can be fired from phase ship while they are in p-space could turn out interesting. With other weapons it would be imba, but with limited ammo it might work. A EMP Torpedo would be cool, you fire it to disable enemy weapons and can de-cloak to deal real damage.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »

The Neutrino Causality frigate has phase missiles. Fires a spray of missiles that you nor the enemy can see. Upon coming within proximity of an enemy ship, the phase missiles bursts into existence and chases it down. The missiles burst into existence so close to ships you can practically stare at the missile from the bridge and identify all the parts, but fast reacting PD should still be able to catch it.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:45:51 AM »

Why doesn't the missile just phase back in while it is inside the ship itself?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

because it would be op ?

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

Because that does nothing to allow you to avoid a phase missile. If you can't maneuver around it, you are getting hit, guaranteed.