Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Help Drawing!  (Read 2595 times)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Help Drawing!
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »

DELETED
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:34:07 AM by Pelhamds »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
Re: Help Drawing!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:38:20 AM »

try working with base lines.
like as you can see in many turtorials this is the best way to start.
draw a circle for the head then a line for the jaw. two lines to divide the face into 4 parts.
horizontal line for the eyes to be on, this line will just line the vertical line be in the middle of the face.
the eyes should be around one eye from eachother.
then the nose which should be around 1/4 of the face, so half way between the chin and the horizontal line.
use the vertical line to locate the middle.
the mouth should be around half way between chin and nose ,so that 1/8 of the head.
be carefull with perspective and eyes. in this case the eye which is the furthest away is bigger which is a bit odd.  ;)
the ears are somewhat between the eyes and the nose on each side of the face be carefull not to put them on far side when drawing a head from the side like you did.

i would recomment to look up a anatomy turtorial and just start with drawing faces from the front, if you master that then you can go on with faces a little more complicates like the one from the side.
i wish you good luck with your drawing and i think what i said above was actually quiet useless since its all described in the many turtorials on the web.
Also you might wanna buy a book about drawing (for example manga). they can really help you out.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »

DELETED
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:34:17 AM by Pelhamds »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »

both mouth and nose a little up ,but as stated before i recomment to check out some face anatomy turtorials.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »

HappyFaces advice is generally pretty good.  I would also advise just drawing a lot; if nothing else it will help your hand to steady and in turn make your lines less rough.

I also made a picture, though to an extent this is also in response to Valk and what is, generally speaking, one of the most common mistakes beginning artists make in regards to the general proportions of the face:

Which is to say that they commonly leave out the brow and forehead, at least in my experience.  Done on impulse so probably a bit wonky nonetheless.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »

DELETED
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:34:29 AM by Pelhamds »

Teh_Wolf

• Commander
  • The whole ship just died
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

This may just be me, but does the neck look a little misplaced? peculiar?
PHRASE OF THE WEEK
Quote from: Miggles
no

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »

I don't know too much about art, but her right eye is too big compared to her left, and they're different shapes. They should really be more similar to each other. If you were trying to do something with perspective, you got it reversed; stuff farther away should be smaller, not bigger.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »

also i would recomment starting with sketches istead of full pictures. just to experiment with proportions and buildig up a good feel about how a face should look.
also what shadow said, it trains your hand.