Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starsector Sketchbook  (Read 42569 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Starsector Sketchbook
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

New blog post (by David) here.

lStealtherl

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector Sketchbook
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

First! The 2nd spacesuits picture actually reminded me of Planetes at first glance.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

Man that David. So awesome.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »

These are amazing... when are we getting 1080p desktop backgrounds... of all of them? ;D

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:53:51 AM »

Super cool, thanks for that! :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

Beautiful man, Beautiful
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »

With regards to the marines, perfect opportunity to integrate marine ranks. When you first buy marines, they'll look like the first picture, but the ones that constantly survive and become more experienced become like the second picture.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »

MOAR    ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

Is that a mule in the third last picture?

(Goes off to dissect its dimensions)
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »

Ah, some artwork from David! :D Another Hound, AND what seems to be a Mule.

I like them thus far - and any more of those "personal" drawing like the first one, with crew and captain interacting?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »

Pictures looks really great. Of course it is easy to see that they are not finished and are lacking in many ways (due to unfinished things, not any other reason). I also like how You take inspiration from what You saw in past in movies or other computer games - everybody do that (take inspiration) if he is creating any form of art, but not everybody admit it openly and tell what his inspiration actually was. Also I must say that when I saw Marines Preperation 2, nearly in instant I thought about Alien 2. The first one brough my attention to Ghosts from Starcraft/Starcraft 2.

Howewer I am not writing this comment to just praise Your outstanding work. What led me to post a comment is really interesting question which You posted - how much players' emotions and way of thinking (and acting) in game may be influenced by non-essencial information? Because - let's face it - technicly what player should be interested is the final outcome, which is represented mostly (and in Starsector by far - completly) by pure numbers. In this situation some background pictures/illustrations are non-essencial addition, and logicaly ought to be ignored by player. Logically. But the truth is that people are not logicall in 100% (those who are, are simply not developing properly and need help in socializing and learning social rules). And that means Your plan has a chances to be succesfull. Because every person feels and sees world in very diffrent (yet at the same time surprisingly simmilar) way, an outcome may (and will be propably) diffrent in every situation. That is why I would like to encourage everybody to post some information, or even better - imformation supported by an example what You would need to see in order to make ilustratons/pictures influence Your decisions in game, DESPITE the fact that it is numerical data what You should be concerned.

Personally, for me showing that marines are not killing machines, but real people with faces is not the right thing to do in order to change my decision. I would be sending them on every occasion still - they knew what they are singin into. End of story - Full Stop. In the same time, I really do fell sad for maintance guy (the one which is suck into space) and his friend trying to help him, and watching helplesly as he dies in cold vacum os space. That picture could "help" me to avoid accidents, by not taking risks (which normally I usually take). Going back to marines and their loses during combat. In my case, I am sure that greater influence on emotions would have picture showing wife and childrens crying over their father corpse, than just showing "hey - remember, they are people, not machines". That effect could be improved by showing in a back other wifes and childrens greeting their family members returning from boarding action (concrast). But do not get me wrong, please. I am not saying that because I am feeling in that, not other way You should do that, not diffrent thing. Ok?
Also, I am sure that influencing only one of our senses (sight in case of illustrations) is not as succesfull as "attacking" two, three or all of them. What I would like to suggest, is to add some sound effect to them (sad music when showing casuality report and so). Using this simple "trick" You could actually greatly increase strengh of effects.

Ok, I better finish before I will write something strange or stupid ;)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »

I like the picture of the ship landed on an outer landing bay. Not sure if I recognize it though. Looked like weaponry around what appeared to be a bridge. Don't know of a ship in starfarer with mounts like that. Would love to just see some abstract drawings of the various ships of Starfarer. Onslaughts, Paragons, Medusae, Condors, Buffalos... Get a feel for their dimensions. I kinda imagine the Onslaught to be either "fat" with a large distended belly. Or shaped like those typical sci-fi fighters, like a Cylon Raider, with those huge wings of the Onslaught swept downwards, with the bow of the ship considerably higher than the wings.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »

Have to say I very much like reading about the development of the art used in the game;  its definitely interesting seeing a professional at work.

In terms of feel I particularly like the look of the arcology, early as it may be, with its flowing appearance, and the landed mystery ship on the rather abused planet; actually pretty much all of the planetary shots have a strong appeal to me, and help me feel much more attached to the setting.

Nicely done (though I suppose it should hardly be a surprise, eh?)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »

Very nice! My favorite are the sand towers, followed by the big freighter :)
It will be awesome to have actual artwork in the game. I hope you work together with Stian, so each of this scenes gets a fitting ambient sound.
Do you plan to add some subtle animation (you know, flickering lights, things fluttering in the wind, blinking eyes) or view-shifting/zooming or will everything be static (not that that's bad)?

In principle I like the idea of bringing the player closer to his crew and marines, but it will be quite noticeable to see the same face for every boarding action. I'm not sure if leaving more to the imagination wouldn't serve the cause better here. Maybe more subtle touches that allow you identification with the marine without allowing identification of the marine? Pictures of loved ones or good luck charmes tucked to the armor, someone praying, poses of fear, that kind of stuff
There are some other areas where a bit humanization could go a long way, for example the act of venting excess crew. (This could also reduce CR to reflect an impact on moral.)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »

the subtle animation idea is brilliant... shouldn't be too hard to add from an art standpoint since everything should be on different layers (at least that's the way I draw, maybe I shouldn't be presuming based on that I suppose), programming is another thing entirely though

also, assuming everything is on different layers, maybe there could be different "swap out" versions of pictures (think a picture of a spacedock, then paste whatever your flagship is docked onto it or a planet with a fleet roughly corresponding to your size orbiting it).

but i digress, very nice work indeed, always love the out-of-game arts for ships ;D
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: [1] 2 3