Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hull mods with + &- effects.  (Read 1571 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Hull mods with + &- effects.
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

So I was thinking about how hull mods cost op for to be placed and the hull generally provides a buff to something. If you look at the hull mods few of them actually have ups and downs other then op. the engines for example. Faster engines but takes more damage. I think that the game would benefit to having more of those types of hull mods. What do you think? Obviously the games not done but I think it would help the gameplay with more of this kind of hull mod.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:32:37 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hull mods with + &- effects.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

Actually I think that mods higher up in the skill tree could use fewer downsides, they have not been re-balanced for being hard to obtain. I'm thinking especially of Augmented Engines (level 7 unlock, speed increase, double engine repair time), Unstable Injector (free, speed increase, doubles acceleration, quadruple engine damage) just seems superior to me. For low tier hullmods a few drawbacks could be a nice touch, yes.

Current Hullmods with downsides for reference:
Advanced Optics
Augmented Engines
Armored Weapon Mounts
Heavy Armor
Omni Shield Emitter
Unstable Injector
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:58:14 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Decer304

• Commander
  • Starsector starts with the letter "S"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »

I think that there should be some scaling of how many downsides there are for easy to hard to get armour mods. Easy to get armour mods should have a fair bit of downsides, as its should require consideration before slapping it on instead of people mindlessly putting it there. This would then make the harder to get ones more appetising. The hard to get armour mods should have less downsides as 1. they should reward you for you time and effort you put in the game and 2. it already costs valuable skill and aptitude points for skill related mods. By having a scale like this, it makes the player try harder to get better mods, thus making the game more interesting and fun.
"Kat, 6, push back the attack on Sword Base find out what we are dealing with"

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »

It's worth noting that the opportunity cost of the OP is already a significant malus to use of any hullmod. Although more explicit maluses add a bit of choice to the equation, I'd rather see more OP balancing to mods considered overpowered.