Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 922839 times)

Diatonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.62
« Reply #1335 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »

Hey there!  I've played previous versions of this mod and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it won't work for me since the big Starsector 0.6x update.  I've downloaded the new Exerelin, lazylibs and all of the factions and each time I try to run the mod I get this error:

"Starsector 0.6.1a

Fatal: Ship hull spec [exerelin_atlas_algae] not found!
Check starsector.log fr more info."

This happens once I've run the .exe, the progress bar appears for a few seconds with no progress made, then it CTD's with the above error notification in a little window.  The only choice is to click OK, deactivate the mod and run Starsector in vanilla mode.

I have no idea where starsector.log might be, I've uninstalled and re-downloaded Starsector and the mods (gawd knows how many times).  Anyone got any ideas?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Oh well, I guess it's time to start a new game then! It will take some time to get back to level 42 ¬.¬

Is it possible to configure *which* factions spawn in a game now?

See the OP for instructions for turning on/off the vanilla factions. For modded factions, just don't load the mod at the same time if you wish the faction not to appear :)

Also, awwwwwwwwwwwww:

- Fixed allowing use of mothballed ships for mining or station boarding

I may be missing something but is there anything other than a mining pod that can mine stuff?

I was admittedly mothballing them... but I'd still like to see them not take up tons of resources when they're idle :/ In reality they would be docked somewhere (assuming some big ships also present), not flying around eating up supplies when not in use.

Zorg Worker Sphere will also allow mining.

As they are quite handy to have in your fleet when somewhere away from your stations I'm actually OK with the high supplies/day cost :) Basically your taking a combat potential hit for a longer potential deployment time.

On the boarding mechanics - my main issue so far has been the massive cost of maintaining marines, which has made it pretty much impossible for me to capture anything myself (as I can only support about 100 dudes...), I presume this is resolved by the supply cost adjustment?

Yes, I had left the old Vanilla variables in by mistake. When it was lowered for 0.6.1a I forgot to lower the Exerelin one.

It would also be good to get more/better feedback during boarding actions (say, "15 marines died, 500 enemy marines remain" or something) and/or have some way of judging the combat strength of a hostile station before boarding ("defence rating high/medium/low" on hover-over would probably do). I'm not really sure how the boarding mechanics work in the background but it seems like kind of a coin toss at the moment.

Yeah not a bad idea :)

The mechanics are kind of similar to Risk (if anyone has played that), and yeah pretty much a coin toss (although many coin tosses over a short period of time). Defenders and attackers get a dice roll. Defender wins on a draw. How much you win by is how many marines are killed on the enemy side (so 6 v 1 would mean 5 marines killed). This is repeated a number of times per game day, resulting in the message you see.

Advanced Tactics (? I forget the Leadership Skill level 5 perk) increases your attacking marines effectiveness by 100%, so they can roll up to a 12, meaning they have a much higher chance of winning combat.

YEY new update, a reason to turn the game on again :D

Q: I've read in the changelogs that you can board stations with marines. how to do this, what do i need to buy, how doas this work? ;D

See the Quick Guide in the OP for details on baording and what is required :)

Hey there!  I've played previous versions of this mod and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it won't work for me since the big Starsector 0.6x update.  I've downloaded the new Exerelin, lazylibs and all of the factions and each time I try to run the mod I get this error:

"Starsector 0.6.1a

Fatal: Ship hull spec [exerelin_atlas_algae] not found!
Check starsector.log fr more info."

This happens once I've run the .exe, the progress bar appears for a few seconds with no progress made, then it CTD's with the above error notification in a little window.  The only choice is to click OK, deactivate the mod and run Starsector in vanilla mode.

I have no idea where starsector.log might be, I've uninstalled and re-downloaded Starsector and the mods (gawd knows how many times).  Anyone got any ideas?

Hmm most other people that have had this (or similar errors) have not been deleting the old Exerelin mod folder before installing the new version. You will need to delete the old Exerelin mod folder, download the latest version and then place it in the mod folder.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 25, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »

Valks are updated Zap, yay? ;D

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:46 AM »

Valks are updated Zap, yay? ;D

Yeah I noticed, very nice work :)

I'll fix up the compatibility for the next version (which won't be far away at all, just a compatibility update).

Diatonic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »

Thanks Zaphide, that fixed the problem!  This mod is a must for Starsector at the mo imho...  Although now my save game from last night won't load for some inexplicable reason.  Oh well!

LuciferNZ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 25, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »

Zaphide, thanks a lot for this mod!

Made me buy a copy after seeing it played!

Great work, Ive already made some tweaks and bugfixes, Im an indie game developer myself, so if you ever want some major upgrades or help - send me a PM or email and I'll gladly help!

One bug I *think* is happening, is that agents etc are only spawning once, then it is locking out.  Ive changed that code, so you may have changed it.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 25, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

Thanks Zaphide, that fixed the problem!  This mod is a must for Starsector at the mo imho...  Although now my save game from last night won't load for some inexplicable reason.  Oh well!

You will probably need to increase the memory allocation for StarSector and possible run Java 64bit. See the OP for some details :)

Zaphide, thanks a lot for this mod!

Made me buy a copy after seeing it played!

Great work, Ive already made some tweaks and bugfixes, Im an indie game developer myself, so if you ever want some major upgrades or help - send me a PM or email and I'll gladly help!

One bug I *think* is happening, is that agents etc are only spawning once, then it is locking out.  Ive changed that code, so you may have changed it.

Haha damn your right, it's a leftover from where that code was before :P

Well, that can go into the next version as the fix is save compatible. Thanks for letting me know :)

The mod is housed at https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/overview in a Git repository so if you like you could fork it and send me a pull request for any changes you would like to make? I'm quite happy with people making changes, although I would probably prefer to discuss any large scale removal/additions of features before implementing :D

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 25, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

Is there a way to obtain weapons that are not used on any of ships?

I've been playing for a while, but could never find the storm needler on any of the station or from destroyed ships.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 25, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »

Its a vanilla mid/low tech weapon, so you would have to go with Hege/independents for it to appear in your stations.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »

Is there a way to obtain weapons that are not used on any of ships?

I've been playing for a while, but could never find the storm needler on any of the station or from destroyed ships.

Its a vanilla mid/low tech weapon, so you would have to go with Hege/independents for it to appear in your stations.

I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) the Storm Needler may be unique(?) in that it doesn't actually appear in any Vanilla variants. Exerelin pulls the possible weapons for a faction from ship variants available to that faction. If a weapon is not in those variants, then it doesn't spawn for that faction (unless that faction has all built in weapons then it is just random weapons).

You could create a variant of <something> that uses a Storm Needler and then add that variant to any of the exerelinGenericFleet definitions for factions you want to have a chance of spawning a Storm Needler. This variant would also have a chance at spawning in any of their fleets.

LuciferNZ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »

Well, that can go into the next version as the fix is save compatible. Thanks for letting me know :)

The mod is housed at https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/overview in a Git repository so if you like you could fork it and send me a pull request for any changes you would like to make? I'm quite happy with people making changes, although I would probably prefer to discuss any large scale removal/additions of features before implementing :D
Of course ;)

I'll fork it, and look at some bug fixes to start with ;)

Ive managed to get all of the findable mods fixed up and working with your new version, its wonderful playing with over 20 factions!
There were a lot of old mods that needed updating / tweaking / recoding, but being in java makes is so SO easy!

Are there any interesting additions youve thought about adding, but havent had time to introduce/look at?  I could prototype something for ya later on down the track =)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 26, 2013, 02:45:23 AM »

Of course ;)

I'll fork it, and look at some bug fixes to start with ;)

Ive managed to get all of the findable mods fixed up and working with your new version, its wonderful playing with over 20 factions!
There were a lot of old mods that needed updating / tweaking / recoding, but being in java makes is so SO easy!

Are there any interesting additions youve thought about adding, but havent had time to introduce/look at?  I could prototype something for ya later on down the track =)

Yeah it was pretty good with 0.54! So many factions to choose from, literally felt like a different game each time. Lots of ship types to learn though...

As for plans, there are bits and pieces here https://bitbucket.org/Zaphide/exerelin/issues?status=new&status=open but it is more of a brain dump rather than any real coherent plan :)

If there is something in particular you would like to add I'm quite happy for you to contribute that :)

I don't really feel the need for a schedule, as I like to use this as more of a 'fun programming' exercise rather than 'job programming' and my way of attempting to learn Java (amongst other things). So, things I've been adding are more 'I can see a way to do that, it would be neat and I feel like adding that' rather than 'the game is really missing this so I should add that'. This does mean that some things don't get added for a while when they probably should be a priority (ahem message history) but still, all good fun :)

dogamusprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:28 AM »

Hey Zaph!

First off I'd like to say that this mod is spectacular. Secondly, I'm not seeing any "Faction" skill tree, and I'm wondering if I bungled something somewhere. I have a modified vannila SkillData.java and was wondering if this might somehow cause this problem. I don't see anything on the OP or changelog that says it was removed so I probably messed somethin up  :-\. Once again, excellent piece of work.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 26, 2013, 03:33:20 AM »

Hey Zaph!

First off I'd like to say that this mod is spectacular. Secondly, I'm not seeing any "Faction" skill tree, and I'm wondering if I bungled something somewhere. I have a modified vannila SkillData.java and was wondering if this might somehow cause this problem. I don't see anything on the OP or changelog that says it was removed so I probably messed somethin up  :-\. Once again, excellent piece of work.

Just to be sure: did you scroll all the way down in the Character screen? It is below Industry.

By the way, Zaphide, the stations in Exerelin do not use faction specific ship names. Can this be fixed?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:39:06 AM by Erick Doe »

dogamusprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 26, 2013, 03:46:43 AM »

Well I feel stupid  ::)

That solves that I guess :)
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 141