Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917208 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.6
« Reply #945 on: September 27, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

it worked..thank you :)

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 27, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »

Actually it would be pretty cool if there were a rag tag rebel faction hostile towards all with fleets made up of random ships and weapons from the mods installed. That would actually be really awesome but not sure how easy that would be to add.

sherpajack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »

I'm not sure if this was the fault of Exerelin or the fact that I was playing as the Zorg, but I found that whenever a battle would start, (unless the enemy ships were automatically deployed like when they are retreating) the AI  would never deploy any ships and the battle would eventually time out in a victory for me, but wiithout enemy ships taking damage or losing CR.

The first few times this happened I thought it was some very sneaky strategic tactic on the part of the AI to wear down my CR by bluffing me into deploying a few ships until the AI timed out and lost the battle. Needless to say I was very impressed. I still won, of course, since I simply went through a few iterations of the same thing until I'd gotten enough opportunities to harry them and whittle their CR down to where I could force a full retreat. at that point I would be able to actually force the opposing ships to appear.

After a few engagements like this, I was just starting to suspect something was buggy when I got caught by a fleet 7 pips bigger than mine, and decided to see if I could fight it out anyway. I deployed my fleet and got ready to have my butt handed to me... and... nothing... just a little while sitting there and then "The enemy has been defeated. Press ESC at any time to exit the battlefield" (or whatever the text actually says). I repeated the same tactic from before and was able to take out a huge "Wayfarer fleet of possibly 25+ ships including 7 cruisers (admittedly mostly freighters) and 2 capital ships, with just two cruisers class ships and a handful of PD fighters on my end. Most of my victory was because all of the enemies ships had exhausted their CR.

In any case I realized at that point that this was definitely a glitch and thought I ought to write it up somewhere and see if anyone was having the same issue.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 27, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

If random factions aren't possible or desired, might randomly named clones of existing factions be an option?
Another request: Would it be possible to set a minimum number of stations / system? I don't like spawning a 1 system 30 station game and there being fewer stations than factions.

Scrambles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

...whenever a battle would start, (unless the enemy ships were automatically deployed like when they are retreating) the AI  would never deploy any ships and the battle would eventually time out in a victory for me, but wiithout enemy ships taking damage or losing CR.

Just started encountering this in a new game. I added in the Kadur and started a new game playing as Bushi... then this started happening.

It's strange... and might actually make the early game impossible since you now can't force juicy logistics/boarding fleets to actually fight you before your feeble early ships run out of CR :/

Will try removing Kadur tomorrow and starting a new game...

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

It was a joke from zoolander. Its because the code tags show (barely) one line of text with a long scroll :p

Haha OK it has been awhile since I have seen that!

The code tags seem to do that in some broswers.

---snip ---
but sadly there aren't many factions so that the universe feels populated .

Yeah it does a bit at the moment (if you play with more systems and no modded factions). I think this will be somewhat alleviated when I get a few more neutral/independent entities to provide extra trading/mercenary type actions, and a few more modded factions are available.

--- snip ---
it would've been interesting to see different factions appear using a mix of ships available from a pool available.

Something like this shouldn't be too hard to get going. I do quite like each faction feeling distinct, but it is a bit limiting. It's unlikely I'll ever make it randomly pick ships from the total pool, as I think that would destroy most of the unique flavour behind the factions, but hey, maybe an option down the track :)

Before StarSector 0.6a was available I was toying around with the idea of a vassal-type system where you could pick a primary and a secondary faction (of which the secondary is a smaller version of one of the other major factions or even one of the smaller faction mods) and both factions ships/weapons would be available to you (and the AI-controlled factions would have a similar setup). It would allow you to pick say Sindrian Diktat as your primary faction, and your secondary could be Tri-Tachyon Mercenaries/Corporate Offshoot/whatever, giving you access to a subset of Tri-Tachyon gear (not the Paragon!) and populating your factions fleets with say 25% TriTachyon ships. And then you could be fighting the Tri-Tachyon faction, who happen to have Hegemony Deserters as their vassal-type, giving them some low tech ships to round out their fleets. Anyway, it probably won't get implemented for a little while yet :)

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback :)

Actually it would be pretty cool if there were a rag tag rebel faction hostile towards all with fleets made up of random ships and weapons from the mods installed. That would actually be really awesome but not sure how easy that would be to add.

Ah well I'm hoping the Rebel faction won't just mill around in systems being a minor pest forever... :)

--- AI retreating ships ---

I *think* this may be related to a StarSector bug but I'll check it out. Thanks :)

If random factions aren't possible or desired, might randomly named clones of existing factions be an option?
Another request: Would it be possible to set a minimum number of stations / system? I don't like spawning a 1 system 30 station game and there being fewer stations than factions.

Perhaps. I don't think the faction modding API is quite that flexible yet, but I could create a number of pre-built copies.

Yeah that's frustrating. I'll change it so that if it is only 1 system, what you select is the actual number. I'll also make the minimum amounts configurable in a file (other than directly editing the code). Thanks for the feedback :)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »

...whenever a battle would start, (unless the enemy ships were automatically deployed like when they are retreating) the AI  would never deploy any ships and the battle would eventually time out in a victory for me, but wiithout enemy ships taking damage or losing CR.

Just started encountering this in a new game. I added in the Kadur and started a new game playing as Bushi... then this started happening.

It's strange... and might actually make the early game impossible since you now can't force juicy logistics/boarding fleets to actually fight you before your feeble early ships run out of CR :/

Will try removing Kadur tomorrow and starting a new game...

Bear in mind that there is an incomaptability between Exerelin and Kadur mods that will not allow you to load save games that are saved with both mods :( I'm working on a fix, but it is a bizarre and obscure thing...

Yeah, as above I think it is related to a StarSector bug to do with Civilian ships not wanting to fight. Were you attacking mining fleets? Some of them are all Civilian ships, which I think triggers this bug.

Zmok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 27, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »

I encountered this save/load error every time I played with Kadur mod just few moments after I started a new game. But once it happend even with Kadur deactivated, in late game after a few years of game time. Maybe Kadur just touches some bug more often than others.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »

Oooohh that dual faction idea sounds awesome!

Bucktail

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 27, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

So I just started the game as a junk pirate and after 1 week and 3 days (in game time) Shadowyards declared war with me then the next day there were 6 of those big fleets and 2 boarding fleets at my station...

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 27, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »

Also, it is unlikely I'll add a wage system. While I agree it a solution for the too-much-money problem, I'm hoping the CR changes and supply cost changes should alleviate that (once I lower the drop rate of supplies after battles). After all, CR kind of is a wage system (partially).

EDIT: When I say lower the drop rate of supplies, I just mean the larger-than-normal amounts dropped (such as killing a freighter/atlas etc). You should be able to sustain your fleet via farming other fleets for supplies, just not grossly profit from it Tongue
As later pointed out by a player:

As noted above, the start is super hard. The first couple of battles in your punny frigate are the hardest on the mod. You basically have to aim for remains of fleets that lost a battle recently, hoping to not run out of supplies before that.
After that, the problem reverts. Right now I have more than one million credits, and raising fast. Clearly I cant spend that much, and I wont have economic problems ever again.
This is precisely why we need a wage system, because, to be frank, I don't think the CR / Supply system can ever really be balanced correctly to create a good, solid difficulty ramp without it. 

If supplies are expensive, they need to drop frequently-enough to keep player fleets who are successful at the newbie level afloat if they are successful every 2-3 battles (remember, newbies are going to suck at first, just part of how things work). 

This is flat-out impossible to balance against even medium-skill players, whose win/loss ratios are probably 5:1 or greater, let alone elite players who are farming the Omnifactory and all of the other available toys.

So, another factor is required- a money drain that grows as fleets get more powerful and perhaps with level, scaling income drain with player progress and increasing the difficulty over time, instead of making money largely irrelevant very quickly.

Anyhow, I've said my piece and the code's really trivial to lift from my diff so I'll let you think it over now that you've heard back from players on this and quit bugging you about it ;D
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: September 27, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »

How can we get asp back in?

ssthehunter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 27, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

Yea, anyone else just use ramming fleets comprised of tugs?
I do just for the hell of it after I get 10+ hyperions.

Axiom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 27, 2013, 11:47:12 PM »

As to the supply issues.

you get free mining pods (with your storage station). if you need supplies go mine. its a really easy low risk occupation.

As there is an easy way to make money that is non-combat oriented I think lower supply drops would be in order, as they are a bit insane IMO. (I killed 2 medium fleets and had enough $$$ to buy 2 paragons.)

My big fleets always have mining drones on hand to resupply in hostile territory or when I'm far away from a station. they are worth keeping around.

P.S.

is it possible to make fleets stick to asteroids and such again?

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 28, 2013, 02:06:13 AM »

P.S.

is it possible to make fleets stick to asteroids and such again?

Yes. It is getting fixed in .6.1a
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 141