Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 917136 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.54.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic System and Faction War - v0.58
« Reply #645 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »

No, that was the Nomads making their incursion into the sector, thus the 4 huge roflstomping Out-of-System fleets they had, on top of all the other super huge fleets they were fielding. The Bushi had two stations on that planet and the second one was basically made irrelevant due to cruisers and frigates spawning into full-on multi-battleship fleets.

DarkAlbino

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:02 AM »

My issue has been resolved, I forgot that i changed the atlas in the bushi fleets into the bushi transport. Do station attack fleets only work with atlas for bushi?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 03, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »

My issue has been resolved, I forgot that i changed the atlas in the bushi fleets into the bushi transport. Do station attack fleets only work with atlas for bushi?

Ah OK yeah that'll do it :P They are not specific to a faction, rather there are only 3 ship types that are considered valid for a boarding fleet.

There is a method in ExerelinUtils.java:
Code
public static boolean isValidBoardingFleet(CampaignFleetAPI fleet)
{
List members = fleet.getFleetData().getMembersListCopy();
Boolean hasLargeFreighter = false;
for(int i = 0; i < members.size(); i++)
{
FleetMemberAPI fmAPI = (FleetMemberAPI)members.get(i);
if(fmAPI.getSpecId().contains("atlas") || fmAPI.getSpecId().contains("mazerk") || fmAPI.getSpecId().contains("neerin"))
{
hasLargeFreighter = true;
break;
}
}

return hasLargeFreighter;
}
NOTE: The above is from the DEV version so it may be slightly different in your version.

You could edit this to add in the spec types as per the if(fmAPI.getSpecId().contains("atlas") line which should allow you to customise it.

I think (could be wrong) the Bushi large freighter is actually a cruiser rather than a capital ship class, and capital ships incur a larger construction resource penalty than other ship types, so it would make the Bushi station takeover fleets less expensive compared to other factions.

Rhoastabotch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »

This is really fun, thanks for making it!  It took me a while to find settings that worked for me, but starting in a fairly big system with only two factions then having the others start to show up 2-4 months later seem to be the sweet spot for me.

If I can make an enhancement request, as a fan, I would really like to decide which other factions show up.  Most of the factions are quite balanced and fun but some are more balanced than others.  Blackrock being a glaring example in my humble opinion.  Seems like on the campaign map blackrock fleets are > any other and in the battles the battlecruisers have way too much firepower for how maneuverable they are (and how many fleet points they cost, 18 feels stupid low when compared to other cruisers and BCs).  I understand that this is a compilation with a bunch of other peoples work put together, so I'm not blaming you.  I'm also not trying to be inflammatory, others likely feel differently about the balance.  That's why it would be awesome if we could pick what factions we find fun to play with *and* against.

Anyway, thanks again for your time putting this together, but also FU for costing me so much sleep.

-Rhoastabotch

-edited for not great engrish-
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:54:03 PM by Rhoastabotch »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »

Comments on balance are better directed at the faction's thread in particular. Though, I find the Blackrock battlecruiser to be very lightly armed. 18FP is pretty low, but it brings solar panels and a heavy solenoid gun into the mix.... And that's about it.... The dinosaur ship (Gonodactylus or something insane like that) with the Hammerclaw missile is something I find much more intimidating. Or the Stormcrow. If I'm facing the blackrock capital and a Stormcrow, I will always prioritize the Stormcrow. Those squall cannons might be short ranged but they are certainly not to weapons to joke around with.

The battlecruiser used to be more heavily armed, bringing two of those heavy solenoid guns to the fray, but now it only carries one. It also doesn't hit all that hard, it's only like 250dps while most large battleship guns are doing in excess of 300dps, often closer to 400 or even 450. But I feel the smaller Blackrock ships do a much better job of terrorizing and marauding than the battlecruiser does.

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 03, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »

It seems to me that balance comments are far better here than in any other thread, since we are talking about the balance in Exerlein, not anywhere else. Also, it isn't possible to balance a faction by itself, it has to be compared to something.

I do have to agree, the blackrock cap ship feels weaker than the 2 arrow looking cruisers by a decent margin.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »

And you know what? I quite like that. The blackrock battlecruiser capital ship is NOT the epitome of blackrock power like the Onslaught is for the Hegemony or the Paragon for the Tri-Tachyon. I think a Nevermore or a Stormcrow will readily trounce the blackrock battlecruiser. Also, for funsies, go into the Exerelin files, check the graphics and move to the "BR" folder, then to the "graphics" and check out the little gem listed as "sachumodo2".

CaveBacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 03, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

I had hoped that my first post on these forums would be something more intellectual than this, but:
@sachumodo2: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 03, 2013, 11:22:29 PM »

So it happened again. Reverse engineered Bushi replication technology that is.... Station was taken a couple days ago in game time. Some of those fleets are the Out of System roflstomping fleets. Fortunately, my shoving a ton of PoWs onto the Council Loyalists paid off, allied with them and the Relics under the Galactic Coalition. Unfortunately, the pirates couldn't care less and redeclared war like, the next day.

Drawpbawx, should you wish to take a gander, Zaphide.

Bushi seems to have forgotten how to use this replication technology though because despite dumping ~6000 men, ~4000 supplies and ~3000 marines, the Bushi stations still couldn't produce large numbers of full size fleets. They still much preferred sending out tiny scouting parties instead. I thought maybe the 700 remaining supplies was the issue, so I dragged another few thousand supplies from other stations, to no effect. Oh well, the Pirates have made good use of that crazy excess of resources.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:12 AM »

For some reason the Stormcrow, which was supposed to be a ship used by one fleet boss in Uomoz' Corvus, has been implemented as a regular cruiser in this mod. It was not intended, and I've talked to Zaphide about it. It's an imbalanced ship that doesn't really count as a cruiser.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:47 AM »

For some reason the Stormcrow, which was supposed to be a ship used by one fleet boss in Uomoz' Corvus, has been implemented as a regular cruiser in this mod. It was not intended, and I've talked to Zaphide about it. It's an imbalanced ship that doesn't really count as a cruiser.

Kind of like the Vat-IV for Valkyrians, Which isn't supposed to appear in normal fleets either.  ::)

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 04, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

But those fleets kind of need those super ships. Many fleets have that level of power in their regular ships, so without the Vat4 and the Stormcrow those factions would just get walked on by other factions. Although the valks could probably still hold their own, the blackrock simply doesn't have the same strength in its lower tiers. It needs the Nevermore and the Stormcrow to compete.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 04, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

I find it pretty funny how few posts it takes inbetween someone calling Blackrock overpowered and someone calling them underpowered. ;D The game is about to change a lot, that's all I'll say for now.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 04, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »

The Valkyrians compress so much firepower onto their larger ships, I'm sure they'd be fine with VatIVs only occasionally making an appearance in their fleets.

And I don't know how well Blackrock fleets handle themselves in autoresolve, but in actual combat, those nippy frigates and destroyers can happily terrorize larger ships with ease. The Nevermore is a part of regular Blackrock fleets while the Stormcrow is not. But I'm fine with the Stormcrow's presence in Exerelin, I know there are a couple ships that are tucked away, out of sight and out of mind, like the Unsung, I never see that in Neutrino fleets and I would love to, but alas.

EDIT:
Ninja'd
Well, this gives me an opportunity to ask. Cycerin, will that mystery ship make an appearance? I just took a look through the ship data files and didn't see any names that I didn't recognize in the Blackrock fleet.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 04, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »

BRDY's forces can be a surprising challenge sometimes, but I think their challenge level is just about right.  Especially the cruisers; their special weapons and general mobility make them a serious threat without being completely overwhelming.  Also, they aren't a horrible slog like Neutrino ships... but then I am prone to unnecessary soloing, so I guess I've got it coming.  Anyway, the point BRDY is fun to fights against or for.

Also, looking back through the thread apparently SHI is made of paper or something, but I'm not sure I should consider balancing my mod in comparison to other mods.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 141