Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Purchacing the Game  (Read 3520 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Purchacing the Game
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

OK, I just want to clarify this, but is this a one-time buy, like Minecraft?  Whereas, you buy the game in Beta,Alpha, etc... version and you get all future updates, including the full release, for free?  The info on the purchase panel wasn't clear enough for me.

For example, I buy Starfarer for $10 now, will I get the full game when it releases without having to pay more?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Purchacing the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »

If you preorder now, you pay $10 – 50% off the final price.

What you get:

Early access to the game, starting with alpha builds – available now!
    Discounted price
    The full version, when it is finished
    You help support the development of Starfarer

That's from the preorder page.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

OK, I just want to clarify this, but is this a one-time buy, like Minecraft?  Whereas, you buy the game in Beta,Alpha, etc... version and you get all future updates, including the full release, for free?  The info on the purchase panel wasn't clear enough for me.

For example, I buy Starfarer for $10 now, will I get the full game when it releases without having to pay more?

Just to be 101% clear, yes you get the full release for free once you pay the $10 one time to have current access to the alpha build.   ;D

That is a total of $10 for Starfarer for all time, with the possible exception of DLC or Expansions in the far future.  :)

If you wait to buy it until Starfarer releases in the future at some point, the base game will cost $20 at that time.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »

There are many games doing it this way, but there are others that aren't...  Hence the question.

But yes. This is more minecraft Beta style.

(As opposed to alpha where you ALSO got all and any future dlc or that space thing where you only pay for the first third of the game <eye roll>)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sinloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »

I have a feeling that OP didn't read the page very carefully, it really is all stated there. But I suppose it never hurts to ask on forums. Especially if it's the last bit that pushes you towards the purchase :) Starfarer's great, no need to wait!^^

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

Are there actually games that do it differently?

I would feel majorly ripped of if i only got access to the alpha version in such a case.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »

I thought Blockade Runner was doing something like that a while back. They either changed their tune or I'm remembering the wrong game, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

OK, thanks everyone!  As long as I get the full release, I can live without free DLCs. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

OK, thanks everyone!  As long as I get the full release, I can live without free DLCs. ;D
Haha, you will. And I don't know that he's even planning DLCs. So there you go.
- Voltaire