Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Manga!!!  (Read 4245 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Manga!!!
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:32:46 AM »

Well... I'm finishing Battle Angel Alita - Last Order. And i need new fix of space - cyberpunk manga  ;D   

So, people, please can you recommend me something similar to Alita. Or something with spaceship fights in it. Thanks.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Manga!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:21:45 AM »

Moretsu Pirates/ bodacious space pirates,
Uchuu no Stellvia,
Starship Operators,
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199,
Xenosaga.

All of these have animes to them as well.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:27:14 AM by ValkyriaL »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »

Ohohohoh NICE! THAnks man!
Creator of:

Teh_Wolf

• Commander
  • The whole ship just died
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »

PHRASE OF THE WEEK
Quote from: Miggles
no

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »

Because if you read the whole sentence, it actually means that those mangas have animes as well. kinda like lord of the rings is both a book and a movie at the same time.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »

Because if you read the whole sentence, it actually means that those mangas have animes as well. kinda like lord of the rings is both a book and a movie at the same time.

Non.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »

Man you chewed through Alita fast. Did you enjoy it?

For stuff with a similar vibe I would recommend (off the top of my head):

Ashen Victor (a motorball spinoff short by Yukito Kishiro, set before the events of alita)
Appleseed (the mech design aesthetic here has influenced me a lot)
Akira (obviously)
Ghost in the Shell (also obviously)
Biomega
BLAME (this one and Biomega are very similar and by the same author, very grungy)
Gantz (a very.. strange series. think men in black, just soul crushing nihilism edition)
Zetman (cyberpunk superhero origin story with tons of body horror and great art)

For more unrelated manga I'd still recommend to anyone who is suave enough to post on this forum:
Planetes (one of very few realistic sci-fi manga out there)
Dorohedoro (an amnesiac guy with a lizard face eats the heads of magicians so they can talk to the man inside his throat. yes, that is all you need to know)
Berserk (the classic, numbingly grim yet exhileratingly vibrant fantasy revenge story that will never ever be completed, so be warned that you're entering a contract with the devil when you start reading it)
Shingeki no Kyojin (giants who mindlessly consume human beings wander the earth, trapping humanity in a single walled country. characters who use their brains, horrifying monsters, unpredictable plot. good stuff)
Vinland Saga (vikings. without horned helmets. with historical characters. and great art)
Teppuu (arrogant girl gets into MMA. no metaphysical ***, no cheesy plot points, just really good fighting)
Goodnight Pun Pun (a little kid grows up to be a profoundly broken human being, rendered in a touching and humorous way with a metaphorical art style that rarely shows how the main character actually appears)
GYO and Uzumaki (big horror classics)
Hoshi no Samidare (an enormous hammer is poised to smash the *** out of the earth. a lizard appears in a guy's bedroom and offers him the chance to be a hero)
Aqua Knight (series that Yukito Kishiro started between finishing Alita and starting Last Order. only two volumes iirc but quite interesting)
Homunculus (weird psychological horror about a guy with profound mental issues who gets a heightened sense of empathy after receiving trepanation)
Yotsuba& (amazingly charming slice-of-life series about a single dad and his energetic kid and their neighbors)
Franken Fran (frankenstein chick helps her "patients" cope with their problems.. in horrible ways)
Bakuman (shounen about writing manga. by the Death Note guys)
One-Punch Man (a guy wants to become a hero! too bad he destroys every enemy with one punch, making his life unbearably boring. utterly amazing artwork, possibly some of the best in the entire business, and *** on every single convention of shonen manga)
Solanin (a fantastic manga about the apathy of mid-20-year old life)
Shamo (a kid kills his parents in cold blood and gets sent to juvenile prison, learns karate from a convict and becomes the biggest monster in his new world)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:49:32 PM by Cycerin »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:11:19 AM »

Man you chewed through Alita fast. Did you enjoy it?
Well i didn't read any Manga before, but this one is excellent. Yeah i did enjoy it a lot  ;D  And i didn't finish it exactly.
Spoiler
I'm at point where she save Moon from that space part of Kethares that Trinidad launch toward it. But there isn't left much for read.
[close]

Thanks for the big list. It will take me some time to go through all that. I guess I'll be back in a month for new manga fix  ;D

W8 a sec how do you know this: "Man you chewed through Alita fast. Did you enjoy it?"??? HEY! You are that dude that put that link on skype that day with pic from Alita right? (lot of "that" word)
Creator of:

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:15 AM »

Thanks for that list Cycerin, from the few that I do know I conclude that those I don't must be great, too.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.