Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More Resolutions Support (as opposed to necroing)  (Read 3039 times)

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
More Resolutions Support (as opposed to necroing)
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »

As opposed to necroing a 4 month old post, I thought it would be better to re-suggest added support for more screen resolutions. I didn't recall ever getting an answer as to whether or not it could/would be done, and I checked the old thread to make sure it was the case. I guess the thread was just forgotten quickly and didn't get much attention because of the plain-ness of the suggestion.

So, anyway, would it be possible to add in support for more resolutions such as 720p?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: More Resolutions Support (as opposed to necroing)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »

HURRDURRUNOGETSGMAEFORXBOXLAWLPCOLY.

Jokes aside, i'd like too see more resolutions available. In both ways, because i so far can't see a res higher than 1080p (Or is there higher?).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »

So, anyway, would it be possible to add in support for more resolutions such as 720p?

Well... it's hard enough to fit the UI into 1024x768. That's going to remain the minimum size for the foreseeable future. Not going to say "never", though.

(I realize that having to record in 1080p if you want widescreen isn't always desirable. I've been using 1366x768 to record for a 16:9 aspect ratio myself, btw. Netbooks that don't support a higher vertical than 720 are another issue - I don't think it makes sense to make changes to specifically cater to those because they'd have a very rough time running the game to begin with.)

(Or is there higher?).

There are, and they work.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »

There are workarounds I could use to record in 720p, but I'll have to buy a couple more things do it. I've already tried recording at 768p and downscaling but it doesn't record at the proper resolution and the resulting quality is horrible.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »

Obviously, I'd say.
Going from 768 to 720 means you just don't have the same amount of space to store the information.

Have you tried different software/rescaling algorithms? I can only guess, but I'm pretty sure that different codec packs allow for different re-encoding.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »

The way I tried rescaling before was still pretty much in line with my workflow, and keeping it close would be really helpful to me. I know Youtube itself will automatically scale videos to a resolution it supports, and I don't know how much quality it keeps.

Besides that, when I did try to record the game at 1366x768, it actually ended up recording at 1360x768 anyway, so it wasn't the right ratio.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »

Your monitor is at 1366x768? What codec do you record to? Does the recording software even support 1366x768?

What is even your final goal (apart from getting 720p native support)?
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »

My monitor is 1080p, I tried recording with Starsector windowed and sized at 1366x768 so it would be a smaller gap to size it down to 720p. The request, at least personally, is pretty much just for recording purposes. I also play most of my games in 720p because the lower resolution doesn't bother me and I like straining my computer less than I need to at all opportunities.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »

Hmm. Have you tried downsizing from 1080p? It MIGHT work better, considering that 1080 = 720*1.5.
I have never really done any sort of video editing. Only some small re-encoding stuff with ffmpeg. But that thing is not really on the "easy to use" side of things.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »

Watch my very earliest videos for an idea of how bad that quality turns out to be

davidjtsteele

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »

Well you ought to see this, as for u. lol.

Pretty cool hey? And yes, it would be possible to get a revolution such as 720p.

davidjtsteele

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

No! I didn't get it right! C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\HIt It\100_1561.jpg

How is that?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

You need to upload it to an image hosting website, I use IMGUR

Then copy the link from that and paste it here :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)