Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gravity Well Weapon  (Read 2940 times)

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Gravity Well Weapon
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »

This could be a very highly sort after / high energy consumption weapon which takes ages to research or is hidden technology from an enemy or some sort.

Basically it would act like a missile or grenade that you would fire at a specific location (mouse cursor). Once it reaches that location it activates and anything within a certain radius gets sucked in or is slowed down and limits movement heavily.

Perhaps an enemy faction has this fairly late on in the game and in the mission briefing it says enemy has highly advanced unknown technology. You go to the mission and lose a ton of ships due to not knowing about the weapon. This perhaps could be a scripted event. You later have to learn to avoid or counter the effects of this weapon and later get to use it yourself.
My time has come, yet again - To be the soul survivor
What a lonely existence - In this cosmos of mine

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity Well Weapon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

A gravity well would be on the ship and it would prevent ships from jumping away. (Most gravity wells are on support ships not really a fired weapon) :P

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »

What? I'm talking about a new idea. It doesn't have to conform to any idea you may have.. o.O

If you mean, "why doesn't the gravity well effect the ship it's fired from" it would be because it's not activated on the ship. You fire it at a location and it activates. Of course if your ship goes into the effective radius then it would be effected until the gravity well dies down.

To say you can't have a certain type of gun in a game is ludicrous, of course you can! it's a game!!

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »

What? I'm talking about a new idea. It doesn't have to conform to any idea you may have.. o.O

If you mean, "why doesn't the gravity well effect the ship it's fired from" it would be because it's not activated on the ship. You fire it at a location and it activates. Of course if your ship goes into the effective radius then it would be effected until the gravity well dies down.

To say you can't have a certain type of gun in a game is ludicrous, of course you can! it's a game!!

He is talking about a Immobilizer 418 cruiser right there and I approve.

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »

I think it would be a cool gun to add to the later stages of the campaign. =) I'm not fussed on what Star Wars say's a gravity well is lol.

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »

I think it would be a cool gun to add to the later stages of the campaign. =) I'm not fussed on what Star Wars say's a gravity well is lol.
Well then you can STFU and GTFO

Remnants_Of_Beauty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »

How about No. I'll post my ideas if I want to. =)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

Guys, let's keep it civil, please.

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »

Guys, let's keep it civil, please.
Nevar (Sorry got carried away ;D)

RoB can take some smack talk anyway.