Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The Kamikaze missile ship!:o  (Read 5992 times)

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The Kamikaze missile ship!:o
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

Basically it's a ship you can control, but only has one weapon called ignition! (see where i'm going with this?) Once you fire it your ship will turn into a missile! The ship wouldn't be very big but for a missile it would be huge!

Once you activate it your speed will rise to maybe 150 and would be adjustable from 150-250 (or so?) and if you hit anything you explode with a fiery passion! ;D The explosion could take out Capital ships if used right, although you can be shot down and if you hit say an asteroid or fighter, it'd be a waste.

Could be used many ways, what do you think?

Ship size: Small
Weapon: Kamikaze ramming :D
Speed: Very high potential.
Damage: Extreme!
Armor: Average/low
Shields: None

ImTired99

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Kamikaze missile ship!:o
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »

I like what your thinking of. Almost like a one purpose disposable ship. Easy to make, lacking of any extras, built for one purpose to try and kill the biggest ship it can.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »

Basically it's a ship you can control, but only has one weapon called ignition! (see where i'm going with this?) Once you fire it your ship will turn into a missile! The ship wouldn't be very big but for a missile it would be huge!

Once you activate it your speed will rise to maybe 150 and would be adjustable from 150-250 (or so?) and if you hit anything you explode with a fiery passion! ;D The explosion could take out Capital ships if used right, although you can be shot down and if you hit say an asteroid or fighter, it'd be a waste.

Could be used many ways, what do you think?

Ship size: Small
Weapon: Kamikaze ramming :D
Speed: Very high potential.
Damage: Extreme!
Armor: Average/low
Shields: None

So a manned cruise missile?  Hmm, interesting, would kinda suck to be the pilot of course, but that is the point of a Kamikaze I guess. 

I'd shell out for the auto-tracking computer myself, and spare the poor sot his life.   ;D  But then again I'm a softie at heart in a lot of ways, ha ha.

Pretty cool idea in general though, because it lets you pilot it yourself, something you cannot do with any normal missile currently.   :D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »

I'm wondering if this sort of thing won't already be possible once the ship refits become available. I'm not saying just because you could get close to doing this already that this suggestion isn't valid, but just saying you might get pretty close in .5 with the refitting.

Could probably be done by choosing a small and fast ship hull... may not get 'kamikaze boom' weapon, but perhaps you'll be able to outfit a small vessel with like a super large torpedo or two, then just fly in fast and hard at an enemy capital vessel and when you slam into it (which does already cause some damage... never really tested a straight kamikaze ramming potential) you fire the torpedos to possibly inflict that heavy damage potential you wish for. An idea for something to try when that becomes available... depending on the refitting capabilities.

As for the idea itself... are we talking about controlling the ship yourself or the AI? If it's controlling it yourself, I wonder what a straight kamikaze would mean... because if you don't 'eject' then you'd die... :)

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

I'm wondering if this sort of thing won't already be possible once the ship refits become available. I'm not saying just because you could get close to doing this already that this suggestion isn't valid, but just saying you might get pretty close in .5 with the refitting.

Could probably be done by choosing a small and fast ship hull... may not get 'kamikaze boom' weapon, but perhaps you'll be able to outfit a small vessel with like a super large torpedo or two, then just fly in fast and hard at an enemy capital vessel and when you slam into it (which does already cause some damage... never really tested a straight kamikaze ramming potential) you fire the torpedos to possibly inflict that heavy damage potential you wish for. An idea for something to try when that becomes available... depending on the refitting capabilities.

As for the idea itself... are we talking about controlling the ship yourself or the AI? If it's controlling it yourself, I wonder what a straight kamikaze would mean... because if you don't 'eject' then you'd die... :)
In Si Fi movies it is always the captain that personally pilots that ship for the suicide run. It balances too that you have to transfer command to use it then transfer back before it blows up (Proximity charge?) . So you will have to give up command of your flag ship and time it right so you don't die as well.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

I foresee many frustrated mulligan calls. :P

"I'm gonna ram'im and ejec..." BOOOOM! You are dead! "Damn! Too slow to transfer command!"

Or, you turned to avoid the wall of gunfire coming at you and accidentally run into your own flagship causing both to explode...

Just something about being a 'kamikaze bomber' that feels like more things will end up wrong than right, lol.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »

Considering in the campaign we are a character whom's death i imagine would end that campaign file this doesn't seem very practical....Also how would this be any better than a bomber dive bombing to the ship and dropping their payload right as the enter the shields? Its a weapon thats role is already filled in the Dagger Torpedo bomber and that one ship that drops actual bombs along with killing the person flying it being part of its design....I'm having a hard time thinking up of a weapon that was designed to kill the operator.

Instead of a kamikaze ship perhaps Suicidal captains piloting fighters might do a kamikaze run, set their fighters on overload when they're low on hull and ram the ship creating a small explosion but not an intentional designed weapon for this....

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »

Yeah.  A "goddammit all" button on fighters that know they're dead... hahah!

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »

Yeah.  A "goddammit all" button on fighters that know they're dead... hahah!
I doubt a cowardly captain would follow that order.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »

I think it would be easy to mod once the retrofit thing comes out. All you need to do is to copy a missile sprite and code it to be a fighter by slipping it into the socket of a fighter like a wing of miners. Mod in a weapon that has one range and can take out the ship itself, and you have a fighter like missile.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:31:27 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

I think it would be easy to mod once the retrofit thing comes out. All you need to do is to copy a missile sprite and code it to be a fighter by slipping it into the socket of a fighter like a wing of miners. Mod in a weapon that has one range and can take out the ship itself, and you have a fighter like missile.

or do the converse and modify a missile

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »

True, but you wouldn't be able to fly it :P.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »

I was thinking it would be a drone ship, not too sure how it would work though. I mean would it automaticlly put you in the ship like a transmition while your ship your in right now does nothing? Or perhaps it is still controlled my a computer and then when your missile ship blows up you revert right back to your ship!