Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Power through an overload at the cost of CR  (Read 7463 times)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Re: Power through an overload at the cost of CR
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:06 AM »

In relation to this, would a warning to possible? say at 90% flux or something your flux bar flashes red, and flashes more intensly as you get closer to 100%?

I think I sound could be too much.. I really dislike games where they have added a sound effect as a warning.. but fail to tell you what is causing the warning :P
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

Overload is rarely seen then player know how to fight and this additional mechanic does not make sense to me. Small ships will be at disadvantage and big ships will be even more dangerous. Hard to believe AI ships will care much for CR rating - AI will use this mechanic to inflict bonus damage to player fleet. Also it will break torpedoes very hard - you can block part of torp volley with shield AND shoot down any other torps/missiles by weapons while overloaded - not very cool imho.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »

In relation to this, would a warning to possible? say at 90% flux or something your flux bar flashes red, and flashes more intensly as you get closer to 100%?

I think I sound could be too much.. I really dislike games where they have added a sound effect as a warning.. but fail to tell you what is causing the warning :P
I think the problem's really that you don't look at the bar much, you look at your ship and the enemy. You know your armour condition and weapon status from your ship sprite. You only really need to glance down for missile reload times and your ship health (which is only important at certain times).

Getting a faint flux aura around the ship when you're at high flux (kind of like when you're venting, but different) that gradually gets more and more solid until you overload might be a good fix? Or just displaying the flux gauge next to the cursor?

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »

I think the flux gauge is right next to your ship? Along with your Health?
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »

I think the problem's really that you don't look at the bar much, you look at your ship and the enemy. You know your armour condition and weapon status from your ship sprite. You only really need to glance down for missile reload times and your ship health (which is only important at certain times).
Agree but for effect maybe some "sparks", over ship hull?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

I'll open a new thread for this in a moment.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Teh_Wolf

• Commander
  • The whole ship just died
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »

I always thought flux to be some magnetic-y thing. Venting it was just a huge release of it. With this theory, using weapons/shields (ie, providing power to them) would make them short out, in my experience, magnets and electrics don't like each other.
PHRASE OF THE WEEK
Quote from: Miggles
no

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »

Also, if you allow your ship to be destroyed during an overload, you can immediately send in that many FP worth of reinforcements.
Not exactly, Fleet Points may become a thing of the past once CR is implemented, so bringing in reinforcements could happen at any time, but leave you underprepared for a pater engagement.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

Also, if you allow your ship to be destroyed during an overload, you can immediately send in that many FP worth of reinforcements.
Not exactly, Fleet Points may become a thing of the past once CR is implemented, so bringing in reinforcements could happen at any time, but leave you underprepared for a pater engagement.

Well, they are called "Deployment points" now, but that doesn't change that you can only have a limited number of ships on the battlefield at any time.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

I like the idea of being able to fight back during an overload at the cost of CR, but this may be one of those things that could turn out frustrating if the AI doesn't manage to execute very well, especially because it has a direct impact on the campaign. It's not something easy to decide even for a player, so i fear the AI may do something horribly stupid in the worst situation possible.
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »

Well, if it is implemented as a skill you wont see it very often in AI hands. Anyway, there are some situations where the choice is clear, for example if your ship is already badly damaged and missiles are incoming. I'd say it is enough if the AI uses the ability only in those clear situations.

Pages: 1 [2]