Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balance Suggestion(fighters)  (Read 1600 times)

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Balance Suggestion(fighters)
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »

I modded in about a 50% top speed increase for all fighters and bombers and the balance feels really good for them.Maybe a 30-40 would be better.They survive much longer with the ability to make it back to a carrier for repair.The only thing is with small fleets or without equal fighters it can be difficult to run them down and finish off a squad. I do feel like this is an ok trade off tho. Some anti fighter missiles will have to be adjusted as well.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Balance Suggestion(fighters)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »

Hopefully some fighter skills will come into the skill tree in the next update. Fighters are pretty underpowered right now and really need some skill improvements. However, PD weapons will also need a slight buff against fighters because they will become harder to track and shoot down.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

Is it possible to have the FP cost decrease from skills?

I was thinking it would be a nice level 10 perk to have the FP cost of your fighters decrease, but still require the hangar space. For example a talon wing might cost 2 FP but still require 3 hangar space.

Another skill improvement to fighters (and flimsy frigates) would be the armor skill. Have it give +1% per level or flat 5 per level. Whichever is higher. Maybe flat 3. It would require testing at any rate.

I have no idea how combat readiness will affect fighters so these are the only suggestions i can think of that probably won't be affected by CR.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:04 AM »

I will caution that while fighters in small numbers have low survivability (the mention of "average survival of two minutes and twenty seconds" in someone's fighter description comes to mind), large squadrons of fighters can be devastating against even picket frigates. Once fighters manage to surround and approach from all angles, shields are irrelevant -- even 360-degree shields, since fighters will simply pass over them to shoot from within the shield bubble. (Of course, this requires a fleet point cost well in excess of the fleet point cost of the frigate, meaning that it's simple outnumbering with a superior force and not anything inherently successful about the fighter.)

All told, however, I do think that fast fighters are far more enjoyable. The 200-range of speed should be the general norm of a fighter in my opinion.

Personally I want to have some Wing-Commandery gameplay with controllable fighters, even if only for missions, and the first mod I make (whenever I get around to it and once I figure out where my cognitive dissonance is in failing to get Eclipse working) is going to focus on that. I think fighters are overlooked because they have such low survivability and because the gameplay tries to capture that Star Trek feel, but the Federation fighters mentioned in the dev blog were always my favourite parts of DS9 (and TNG, for the Maquis fighters). =)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:52:18 AM by JT »