Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X3:Reunion, I'm in love  (Read 18743 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
X3:Reunion, I'm in love
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »

I got X3:Reunion for my Macbook, and it runs on highest settings (who knew?), So far I've got a heavy transporter/carrier ship, and a few fighters. I plan to build a few BoFu factory stations and sell BoFu meals (like tofu in space). I usually HATE micro-management in games, but in this one It's just addicting and pure fun. I've been using the built-in script editor to make some fun stuff, and it's just been a joy to play. I love taking control of the carrier, and then switching to a fighter in first person and launching, it feels like Battlestar Galactica. And never gets old, you can even eject and spacewalk in a spacesuit to change ships (like capturing disabled ships, muahah).\
It's just so fun :D.
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: X3:Reunion, I'm in love
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »

I got X3:Reunion for my Macbook, and it runs on highest settings (who knew?), So far I've got a heavy transporter/carrier ship, and a few fighters. I plan to build a few BoFu factory stations and sell BoFu meals (like tofu in space). I usually HATE micro-management in games, but in this one It's just addicting and pure fun. I've been using the built-in script editor to make some fun stuff, and it's just been a joy to play. I love taking control of the carrier, and then switching to a fighter in first person and launching, it feels like Battlestar Galactica. And never gets old, you can even eject and spacewalk in a spacesuit to change ships (like capturing disabled ships, muahah).\
It's just so fun :D.
I played over 200 hours on that game when I had a pc, the best i got was two Titans, those massive saucer ships (haven't played for years),lots of novas, barracudas and lots of the spilt fighters. I pretty much went pirate after, doing other gameplays as a merchant/bussinesman.

Probally one of the best space games. Period. (Also X3:Terran conflict is on the app store if you want to buy it, pretty much reunion with terran ships and a bigger more complex universe :P)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »

Probally one of the best space games. Period. (Also X3:Terran conflict is on the app store if you want to buy it, pretty much reunion with terran ships and a bigger more complex universe :P)

Actually, I'd say that TC is much better in terms of getting started and general better flow of the game. The side-missions are a lot better integrated then Reunion and the sheer amount of storylines in it is pretty large. I think I clocked in about 4 months of gametime (that's including SETA'd time though)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »

Actually, I'd say that TC is much better in terms of getting started and general better flow of the game. The side-missions are a lot better integrated then Reunion and the sheer amount of storylines in it is pretty large. I think I clocked in about 4 months of gametime (that's including SETA'd time though)
I did say ONE of the best :P of course the most recent game in the series is usually better....(I WANT TO PLAY IT)

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »

I did say ONE of the best :P of course the most recent game in the series is usually better....(I WANT TO PLAY IT)
Albion Prelude? I wanna play that one too.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »

That one is more of a lore thing to tie up between reunion and terran conflict, i aslo remembered that i ported X3 reunion over onto my mac a while ago....i had complety forgoten about that!
Albion Prelude? I wanna play that one too.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »

Eh, Albion Prelude isn't quite as good as TC, at least I didn't think so. It drove you to choose either being able to make a decent amount of money, or having the Terrans hating you.  And with the new toys the Terrans get in it (Kyoto? yes *** please!),  I found that choice made it bleah

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »

Oh no, I went through jump gate in Rolk's Drift in my Orca, and crushed a few civilians, lol I wasn't scratched, but handling capital ships is hard.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »

Oh no, I went through jump gate in Rolk's Drift in my Orca, and crushed a few civilians, lol I wasn't scratched, but handling capital ships is hard.
yep very hard but you feel and look a badass, though i still prefer heavy fighters/frigates.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »

I'll take my Heavy Centaur any day. Or if I'm wanting to feel unfair on people, my Springy.

I only send in the capships (under AI control) against the bigger threats. Like if there are multiple capships that the enemy are sending against me. Then I send in the Boreas and Titan-twins

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:37 AM »

I'll take my Heavy Centaur any day. Or if I'm wanting to feel unfair on people, my Springy.

I only send in the capships (under AI control) against the bigger threats. Like if there are multiple capships that the enemy are sending against me. Then I send in the Boreas and Titan-twins
Sounds like a silly question, but how do you get into that kind of situation?, I mean, pirates don't usually have capships.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »

The X-Series has one huge problem: It became huge.
The simulation (God Engine, I think) worked great in X2, with the only "screw you, game"-moments coming from Khaak-Clusters jumping into your trading routes.
In X3:TC, the introduction of the Xenon M7 (which is able to beat ANY other ship in a 1on1 fight, simulated out of sector) broke the game.
I took on 2 of those M7s at once in my Vidar, without breaking a sweat. But if playerskill makes that much of a difference, it's just silly.
X2: great game, with a good balance of "places to go", "ships to fly" and "stuff to do".
X3: larger game, with too many "places to go", "ships to fly" and "stuff to do". It gets tedious to fight enemies yourself, because even the Vidar (M6) is strong enough to take on M2s, if piloted by a player. Sending in the AI however would probably require several M7s.

TL;DR: Egosoft broke the AI, it is necessary to do everything by yourself and it gets plain tedious.
I still think that X2 was great.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »

I have heard loads about the game, but was wondering.

What exactly do you do? Can you walk around as a person too? Can I just fly a fighter in third person if I want? How do big ships handle?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:19 AM »

The game is strictly focused on the cockpit/third-person view of the ships, although there is quite a lot too. You can fly any ships you want (including the hulking behemoths otherwise known as capitals) however you want it. How big ships handle, well, they kinda fly like fighters, ofcourse, they're far more difficult and respond like you'd expect an capital to respond.

dogboy123

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »

I have heard loads about the game, but was wondering.

What exactly do you do? Can you walk around as a person too? Can I just fly a fighter in third person if I want? How do big ships handle?
Other than flying various ships and trading, you can build space station factories, and gain income.
Pages: [1] 2