Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Spotlight: Fairy, Modular Fleet, World War (WIP)  (Read 35141 times)

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile

1- the "big" modders on the forum don't take having their mods called less that perfect very well. this seems to be a cross between: IT'S MAH BABY DON'T HATE IT.  and  I AM GOOD MODDER, MY MOD IS BEST. not that it's a bad thing to be protective, but you can go too far.
2- the chinese modders have made some pretty sweet ***. don't deny, that stuff is amazing, API breaking irregardless.
3- bros need to innovate more, try out crazy things, show off your mad coding skillz. You can do it, show those chinamens who's better at coding.

Now that everyone can see that, I shall address these points.

1. It isn't that the mods are being criticized, it's that they're not being criticised constructively. He just comes in here and says "LOLOLOL UR MODZ R BLAND". Not a good way to go about it
2.The whole API breaking thing is actually a big deal, because I dunno whether you know or not, but that's illegal. But hey, it's all well and fine violating Alex's code as long as you get a nice mod, right?
3. Nice work insulting Lazywizard there, props to you.
1- Aight, I can dig it, constructive crits are always better than non-constructive ones.
2- My point was more: "they have nice mods, they violated the API which is bad, but still neat mods"
3- And how'd you take that from what I said? Until like.. 5 minutes ago I had no idea what Lazywizard has done.

Fair enough, Amazigh. :) The point of my post was that there are many mods on our forum that show innovation. I've worked with a large portion of the modding community here and consider several forum members friends, so a blanket dismissal of their efforts really annoyed me. I only mentioned some of my own work because it easily came to mind (and to be honest, I only brought up the console mod to make that dig about reflection; with RC's behavior as of late it's been a fear of mine that access to those classes will be restricted again). Sorry if my post went over the line. :)
I wasn't targeting you, more the general feel of the thread than anything else, what with how everyone seemed to be getting pretty mad over what seemed to be more a misunderstanding than anything else.

Hard truth:  both communities have good mods.
Yes, they have some neat mods, we have some neat mods. anyone who says otherwise is just asking for a flamewar, and look what happened~

xangle13

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

These long words is hard to me.
But I know there's somekind debate.
I think I may say something for this.
As a Chinese moder,Author of WorldWar.

Actually,making mod is a fun.
I want it,so I did it.
Ships,system,logic,all these is my thought,and my struggle.
Not for amazing,Not for honour.
Just for fun.

You like my mod?
I partake my fun with you.
You do not like my mod?
Never mind,there will be a mod you like.
All for fun,moders and players.

Did you get your fun? ;)

And by the way.
We do not get fun with other's anger.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM by xangle13 »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

one hoerah for xangle! \o/  you get the point.
funny how you wrote it like a poem.

and cycerin i lolled at the smiley on the etiquette book  ;)
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile

These long words is hard to me.
But I know there's somekind debate.
I think I may say something for this.
As a Chinese moder,Author of WorldWar.

Actually,making mod is a fun.
I want it,so I did it.
Ships,system,logic,all these is my thought,and my struggle.
Not for amazing,Not for honour.
Just for fun.

You like my mod?
I partake my fun with you.
You do not like my mod?
Never mind,there will be a mod you like.
All for fun,moders and players.

Did you get your fun? ;)

And by the way.
We do not get fun with other's anger.
I am going to play your mod now.....just because you are such a nice person. Who is completely unbiased thank you.

sadlywish

• Ensign
    • View Profile

My mod is ignored ...
Probably because the 0.54.1 version have not been announced, so this ... probably ...
Over time I will content should be translated and then sent up to the forum.
But please do not for the quality of the translation what to expect ... my English is very poor ... ;D
That's it ...
BY:A forgotten Chinese moder
 :-[
Hope someone can barely understand above those ...

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile

My mod is ignored ...
Probably because the 0.54.1 version have not been announced, so this ... probably ...
Over time I will content should be translated and then sent up to the forum.
But please do not for the quality of the translation what to expect ... my English is very poor ... ;D
That's it ...
BY:A forgotten Chinese moder
 :-[
Hope someone can barely understand above those ...
What is your mod called? I am interested.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I will skip just "offensive" posts, this flamewar is no longer fun.

WorldWar mod link:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2194817422

@sadlywish
post modname \ link, i will add it to FP and will make spotlight.

@Cycerin
This thread have nothing with etiquette.

@sirboomalot
that mods un-balanced
thule, blackrock,neutriono,anivedulians...shoud i continue?
Mods expected to be "unbalanced" without it, every ship will be lasher with recolored sprite.

@K-64
@Upgradecap
If chineese mods not superior, does this mean that your mods are superior?
philosoraptor.tga

Constructive part of post begin here:

@LazyWizard

forum contain entirely new features like runway lights, area buffs and debuffs, chain lightning, alternate venting animations, escape pods, enhanced high-damage effects, animated ship systems, working black holes, altered gravity fields, warp gates, multiple implementations of mercenary contracts, shockwaves that throw enemies around, tractor beams, and a host of other features.

true piercing projectiles and projectile reflection in the Skype chat

As long as you keep innovative content for yourself it completely useless for community.

I cant view chain lightning implementations (it nowhere to be found), at same time i can see chineese piercing projectiles, can i call chineese devs superior cos they share work and you dont?

We can do these things
This explain why no mod, including your console\omnifactory\lazylib, ever used log4j to add some runtime debugging.
Or i missed some mod that do it?
Or runtime debug completely useless?
Really nobody ever suggested Alex to add means of runtime debugging to API, or everyone enjoyed fatals on every mistake for 2 years?

Scripting here is stone age, debugging is first thing every developer must use in order to get code working as it shoud.

If you're feeling so limited by the current API

I want custom UI overlay, and i dont want to wait 5 mounth for 8 lines of API, especially when i have working implementation direcly on my desktop. Shoud i post any suggestion?
After 5 month i will hit other limit - i will decide to disable autoresolve option inside dialog, shoud i wait 5 more month for this feature?
This is definely not thing i expected from "mod support" statement.

Using the core classes takes absolutely no extra skill beyond
Well, i would like to see how you going to implement developer mode disabler on same level of compexivity as just calling API.
If your java skills soo advanced, i will just delete this thread and will never post anything offensive again.

access to those classes will be restricted again
You definely shoud know way to overcome classloader limitation, it wont harm you anyway.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile

Constructive part of post begin here:

@LazyWizard

forum contain entirely new features like runway lights, area buffs and debuffs, chain lightning, alternate venting animations, escape pods, enhanced high-damage effects, animated ship systems, working black holes, altered gravity fields, warp gates, multiple implementations of mercenary contracts, shockwaves that throw enemies around, tractor beams, and a host of other features.

true piercing projectiles and projectile reflection in the Skype chat

As long as you keep innovative content for yourself it completely useless for community.

I cant view chain lightning implementations (it nowhere to be found), at same time i can see chineese piercing projectiles, can i call chineese devs superior cos they share work and you dont?

All of the code I've ever written for this game is publicly available. The two I mentioned aren't in mods because they have outstanding bugs, but you can find an early version of reflected projectiles here. Chain lightning, as well as many of the other things I mentioned, can be found here. Black holes are in Caelus, mercenary contracts are in several mods (Caelus and Uomoz's Corvus off the top of my head), area buffs/debuffs and shockwaves in Valkyrians, tractor beams in the Star Trek mod, Okim's done the fancy animated stuff, and Psiyon, silentstormpt and EnderNerdcore have released some other impressive code in threads I don't remember the titles of. :(

I answered the rest of your post in a PM, as it's not really relevant to this thread (cool stuff the communities have come up with). :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:19:33 AM by LazyWizard »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

@RawCode

I seriously suggest you stop with the superiority thing. You appear to have consistently ignored my comments about neither mods being superior, as you ask the question about which mods are superior. This has now gone out of hands, and i suggest that all parties slow it down and calm down, and ignore this obvious flamewar. There is nothing more to be had here than more insults over extremely stupid and silly arguments over essentially nothing. Those things can (and probably will, if continued down the same path) lead to bans/mutes for some of the involved parties.

TL;DR Can a mod lock this before it escalates into banning and muting people?

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile

Now before this post is locked...

A hands-up to Chinese modders

I know no coding but I am fluent enough in both language that I think I can offer some translation service. I humbly offer my knowledge to the community.

@sadlywish: I think you're the author of "Fairy Empire" right? Nice to meet you here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:16:30 AM by Andy H.K. »

ucws

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I know no coding but I am fluent enough in both language that I think I can offer some translation service. I humbly offer my knowledge to the community.

Really?
And maybe we can talk more about this?

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile

Quote from: RawCode
"I will just skip offensive posts, this flamewar is no longer fun"
*writes another offensive post to continue the exact same argument*
::)

So anyway, why is this discussion even being held anymore? It's obvious that the Chinese and English communities both respect and appreciate each other, so whatever your highly subjective opinion is will only derail the thread. Take it to PM if you care so much. I personally appreciate your own skills too, RawCode, I just wish you could let go of the throttle for two seconds and stop acting like a spaz.

Xangle, would you make a comprehensive thread about WorldWar here? We could probably help you localize the mod and format/translate for the thread, and the pieces of it you've showcased over time have probably gotten more people than just me interested. I feel like I owe you one for posting the Blackrock update to the Chinese community.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:08:20 AM by Cycerin »

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile

Really?
And maybe we can talk more about this?

Please PM me with details  :)

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

you could also try using google chrome browser which comes with a build in translater.
when you come at the site which is not in your language it willl ask if you want to completly translate it.

its actually just google translate for a complete page without the copy pasting.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6