Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553311 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1035 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:12 AM »

-snip-
The reason for the dislike? Supply/CR. It goes something like this. Game starts, pirates chase me down, single ships usually though once was a larger group. Fight because I have to. Mostly win, some others lost. Fight over back to sector screen. Supplies consumed in moments, no money for more. More pirates incoming so run for life. Supplies dry up in under a minute. 30 seconds and 3 accidents later, game over. 11 times.
-snip-

I found the same problem for a while. Basically, you've just got to hold out and attack fleets until you have enough for a destroyer. It takes a fair amount of saving and reloading (no iron mode for me...) but you get there eventually. I do agree that supplies do get used rather quickly and I have no idea how to reduce usage (despite the fact that Alex has probable told us how to do this at length. Several times.)

Which brings me to my idea. After recalling Gothars' manual for an earlier version, I thought it would make life a lot easier if someone made a manual for 0.6a (haven't checked for it yet, so excuse me if someone else already is) with pictures and diagrams explaining how it all works. If Gothars is willing to make another one, good on him and I think we should all help by donating screenshots of things to do with the new mechanics. If not, I could try and take up the mantle for that (provided people can donate screenshots and ideas to help because I'm coming up to my final exams).
That said, love the update and I'm having fun trying to save up for another ship to accompany my lonely Sunder.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »

I've never had a problem with CR, guess i've just played this game too much :3

WK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2013, 03:04:38 AM »

Supplies consumed in moments, no money for more. More pirates incoming so run for life. Supplies dry up in under a minute. 30 seconds and 3 accidents later, game over. 11 times.

Likely the problem does lie with me but I just do not find this to be fun any longer. Either the supply consumption rates are much higher than I remember or accidents are just far too common and far too punishing (for my personal liking) at the very start of a new game.

I felt the same initially. The problem is not in the CR/supply mechanism, but in the alpha-nature of Starsector. The mechanics are not explained and it feels like the supplies simply vanish. In short, you have to keep an eye on what you loot after a victory (simple rule of thumb: take the supplies, leave almost everything else). If you go over your cargo capacity you will consume extra supplies. Especially if you are close to a station it is not such a big deal, you can go and sell the excess. Another thing that drains supplies are repairs. In general it is easier to go to a station and repair your ships there before you sell your loot (=excess supplies).

When you have a repaired ship with full CR, the supply consumption is low. You should get a lot more supplies from the won battles than you consume.

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:22 AM »

Something that might be nice, is an option to half your supply usage the same way you can half the damage your ship takes.
This way people can get used to CR and all the other mechanics while not having to fear for their life.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:44 AM »

Top tip for 0.6a players that have the enemy fleeing on them a lot. Grab the sunder class destroyer, mount a tachyon lance and fit it with as much engine augmentation as you can.

As you get are close enough to your enemies place your aiming lines over them, the AI will flip up their shields in preparation for attack. With their shields up they will slow down and become easier prey for fighters/bombers/corvettes.

This method of forcing the enemy to point their shield at you can be advantageous when using fighters/bombers/corvettes. As fighters/bombers/corvette pilots approach, flank the enemy from either side with your lance and misdirect their shield.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1040 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »

@Debido: How dastardly evil and sneaky of you! :o /envy

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

2 things I realized:

Although it isn't possible anymore to double the deceleration by pushing S and C at the same time, strafing (either SHIFT+A/D or Q/E) at 90° angle and decelerating (C) still give that bonus.

I had a plunder fleet move towards the place where the hidden base was. By the time it got there, the base had moved on and the fleet moved towards that position and so on. The fleet finally did dock at the base however.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

lindsay lohan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 19, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

First of all; Hat's off to the development team, the amount of time, effort and planning that goes into this game is truly next level. It's impressive how much feed back from the forum gets incorporated into the new releases.
I'm only a few levels in but the CR, logistics, and ever decreasing combat time of frigates really adds to balance and makes some white knuckle moments.

Just a suggestion, don't know if it belongs here or at another thread. What about a skill that adds frigate longevity time (# of seconds or % of base) to the logistics tree? It would definitely make me put some more points there.

Anyway keep up the good work Alex. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't post often or at all but still get a hell of a kick out of this project.   

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 19, 2013, 04:33:47 PM »

Top tip for 0.6a players that have the enemy fleeing on them a lot.

Good one, copying that to the tips thread for later reference  :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:04 AM »

Alex! Now it's time to move onto Steam Greenlight!

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Musaab

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 20, 2013, 05:27:24 AM »

Someone suggested this to Alex on Twitter, saying it was ready for Greenlight or Kickstarter and his reply was:

"Greenlight: I don't feel it is quite yet. Kickstarter: it's a ton of work not spent on the game; not needed atm."

I'm assuming Kickstarter is probably not necessary, and that he would like to get more features into the game before heading over to Steam.

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 21, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »

Someone suggested this to Alex on Twitter, saying it was ready for Greenlight or Kickstarter and his reply was:

"Greenlight: I don't feel it is quite yet. Kickstarter: it's a ton of work not spent on the game; not needed atm."

I'm assuming Kickstarter is probably not necessary, and that he would like to get more features into the game before heading over to Steam.

I'm not sure what Alex's financial situation is, but he doesn't seem to be struggling to maintain his current workforce.  Given the meticulous way he designs and implements new features, I'd imagine he doesn't want or need more employees at present.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 21, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »

Releasing it on Steam Greenlight would be the equivalent of throwing Starsector to the hounds.

"i kno this game is beta but it sux i cant kil anything and CR is ***. one battle and all my money is gone wtf???!!eleven!1!"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »

Releasing it on Steam Greenlight would be the equivalent of throwing Starsector to the hounds.

"i kno this game is beta but it sux i cant kil anything and CR is ***. one battle and all my money is gone wtf???!!eleven!1!"

this ^
starsector deserve better than kickstarter or steam greenlight

almondblight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 21, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

Well, there's always the possibility of silly comments on the internet, but Starsector would hold up pretty well on Greenlight even now. It's also good to get in early so you can build up your votes (at least, this was the case; it might be more open now).

As for Kickstarter, yeah, it's quite a bit of work to have a successful one, the site and Amazon collectively take 10%, and physical rewards take a nice bite out of the total. Prison Architect is closing in on $8 million now, so alpha funding can definitely keep up with Kickstarting - though I suppose it requires a lot of work itself.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71