Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553404 times)

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »

This update looks great, and I can't wait to try out all of the features. However, when I load a save, the game breaks (there are no sprites, I have no ship and the universe has come to a stand-still). Also, selecting 'no' on 'Exit game?' exits the game.

New version , new game requiered.
You have to start over from scratch.

Yep the update is cool. After playing around a bit now.
I never liked to us more then 1 or 2 ships in 0.54 , but now I´m having a real fleet with destroyes fighter and so !
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Luringen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 14, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »

The new UI is BEAUTIFUL, but there is a lot of information there and the icons are too small, making it very hard to get used to. The build is very unstable for me as well, clicking my only ship in the fleet menu crashes the game, and when my only ship was destroyed during a boarding action the game crashed.
Exception from the log (both are "Can't create nested lists using GLListManager":
Spoiler
578322 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create nested lists using GLListManager
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create nested lists using GLListManager
   at com.fs.graphics.util.GLListManager.Object.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.J.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.public.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oOo0.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.O0OO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.F.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.Z.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.float.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.D.O0oO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.super.ôØ0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.B.øÒÒ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.super.super.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

Edit: And yeah, all fleets are invisible when loading a game until you unpause.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 14, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »

The new UI is BEAUTIFUL, but there is a lot of information there and the icons are too small, making it very hard to get used to. The build is very unstable for me as well, clicking my only ship in the fleet menu crashes the game, and when my only ship was destroyed during a boarding action the game crashed.
Exception from the log (both are "Can't create nested lists using GLListManager":
Spoiler
578322 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create nested lists using GLListManager
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create nested lists using GLListManager
   at com.fs.graphics.util.GLListManager.Object.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.J.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.O0OO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.F.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.Z.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.float.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.D.O0oO.renderImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.super.ôØ0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.B.øÒÒ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.super.super.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
[close]

That's a problem of RC1. Go and download the newest version (from the same page), it should end in RC4.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Luringen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 14, 2013, 04:29:31 AM »

Ah, didn't notice there was a hotfix out. Thanks!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 14, 2013, 05:12:19 AM »

Ah lord finally its out! Again I have alot of content to fuel my channel once again! Look forward to videos in just abit..

8 months jeez, it was a long wait.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #890 on: September 14, 2013, 07:26:35 AM »

500 DPS for only 25 flux/s (even if it is fragmentation damage). Talon so OP now.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »

my initial thoughts after playing to level 6: the new UI has promise, but needs work. Hyperspace works awesomely, the peak frigate operation time is silly and should just be applied to all ships (with various longer or shorter times) or not at all, and theres a weird bug where stacks of 0 crew can be moved around and bought which bugs your used cargo space to 0 too.

Edit: how could i forget fighter changes. They are amazing. I like how you "deploy" beacons now too, not capture them. These two changes are really good touches to beleivability. Fighter changes in particular are amazing for gameplay , i really love using fighters now and i dont have to worry about the last wasp or the 2nd thunder dying and im suddenly out a whole wing.

some way to replace all those rare ships you buy that then explode would still be nice, its been a long term theme for starsector and its the only reason i savescum (so i dont lose that one ship i will never see again otherwise), maybe take a page from the fighter system and, if you win a battle you lose a ship in, take the wrecked, exploded hull back to somewhere where you can pay full price for a new ship to replace it. (i would mind the dumb friendly AI ramming their omen into the shields of my apogee and exploding, or my torpedo bombers bombing my *** omen as a result a lot less if i could just chalk it up to combat expenses and buy a new one)the credit cost for them ends up feeling worthless compared to the chance of finding them.

its a bit early to be saying "NEXT" but i feel like the areas of the game that are most lacking is trade/another way to make money thats not combat/mining.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:35:18 AM by Mattk50 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 14, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »

No full feedback yet, just a few small things I noticed and will forget if I don't post them now:

- What ever became of the instant flag ship change (if your flagship is not deployed)? That or the option to change it in the deployment box would be most useful. EG, I use different flagships for combat and pursue.

- Planets in the background are awesome, but their rotation speed should be decreased. Days are flying by during combat!

- It would look neater if ships with drones would deploy them only after their burn-phase is over. They look like mother ducks  :)

- F1-help is quite the important function now, how about opening the box with a click on the UI element?

- A side-effect of the new ship sell/buy menu seems to be that you can't exchange your last ship for a new one like before. You know, if you don't have enough credits to buy it without the resell value of your current ship. Is that intentional?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 14, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »

- Planets in the background are awesome, but their rotation speed should be decreased. Days are flying by during combat!

are they? I thought they're practically instantaneous...

EDIT: OHH I see what you mean :P

brainfart
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:18:16 AM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 14, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »

are they? I thought they're practically instantaneous...

Yes, combat is instantaneous. That's why it makes no sense that the planet can rotate a dozen times.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 14, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »

- What ever became of the instant flag ship change (if your flagship is not deployed)? That or the option to change it in the deployment box would be most useful. EG, I use different flagships for combat and pursue.

The command shuttle starts out super close to its destination if your flagship isn't deployed. Just don't transfer command until the burn phase is finished, or it'll get into a long chase.

This is something where you're just going to have to suspend disbelief in the name of planets looking cooler :)

- It would look neater if ships with drones would deploy them only after their burn-phase is over. They look like mother ducks  :)

They shouldn't be able to do that, will take a look.

- F1-help is quite the important function now, how about opening the box with a click on the UI element?

Not sure what you mean.

- A side-effect of the new ship sell/buy menu seems to be that you can't exchange your last ship for a new one like before. You know, if you don't have enough credits to buy it without the resell value of your current ship. Is that intentional?

Let's call it a feature, at least for now.

my initial thoughts after playing to level 6: the new UI has promise, but needs work. Hyperspace works awesomely, the peak frigate operation time is silly and should just be applied to all ships (with various longer or shorter times) or not at all, and theres a weird bug where stacks of 0 crew can be moved around and bought which bugs your used cargo space to 0 too.

Finally fixed that 0-crew stack bug...

Anything more specific on the UI? Though that probably deserves its own thread.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

... Holy hell. What is this new game i'm playing? Looks familiar. Almost.

LE: Where did the right-click "set as flagship" go? Can't seem to find any button to do that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:43:24 AM by Cosmitz »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 14, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

the empty portrait that's replaced by your portrait on your flagship

click that on another ship to transfer command.

funny how that UI is set up the way it is... paving way for officers commanding separate ships later?
mmm.... tartiflette

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 14, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »

Anything more specific on the UI? Though that probably deserves its own thread.

The thing i noticed about the UI was that it often feels like a maze to find the information i want. There's always the tab with supply usage, etc open in the bottom left, then i click fleet and more stuff pops up, but i dont remember what does and doesn't pop up so i just always click fleet when i want to read it. And i might as well anyway, because then if i want the full information i need to mouseover, THEN press f1. Also, when the fleet information stuff pops up in the bottom corner, its very small so when i mouseover to get more detail the small delay if im not paying attention leads to having to mouse over and wait for the same thing twice. Because you are extending that portion of the UI anyway and it is only in the fleet screen, i suggest that column extend much further up so theres more room for all that info, maybe add more under each bar so it can be accessed at a glance.

The fleet screen itself is pretty iffy too, it'd be nice to get the same information popup that you do when mousing over ordinance points on the refit screen, on the fleet screen. Also, when you mouseover each ship right now the only things that pop up (name, supply usage rate, percents) could easily just be there all the time, i don't know what the point of having that info only on mouseover is. it may sound like im giving scathing criticism, but all in all its very functional and it works for everything i've tried if not with maximum efficiency, these are issues that would be good to look at just if you're looking at a polish pass. it may not even be worth doing until the game is in a more complete state with all the extra knobs.

unrelated to UI: Because the ships i like to have in my fleet never restock, and getting wiped out gives you a lot more XP, i've taken to storing my fleet in the abandoned station and then buying a fleet of lasher hounds talons etc and suiciding it for tons of experience. Note: the economy involving supplies is great now, i really like the balance between your maintenance costs and the cost of expanding your fleet, but it also means that once i store my main fleet, i can welp a fleet of cheap low tech hulls for the same cost as a few day's supplies as a way to farm xp.

Also unrelated (im really going all out on the general feedback here, i hope you dont mind): Is that since the hull modification changes i've noticed that guided missiles, for the most part, really suck. I attribute this to the added speed many ships have, and the previous missile speed buff that perhaps left them going a bit too wide to begin with. Its just a bit too easy to dodge stuff like MRMs, SRMs (even before they start burning), atropos, etc. For the same reason i never use them anymore, instead opting for slower missiles like LRMs, swarmers, etc or unguided torpedos.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:05:26 AM by Mattk50 »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 14, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »

aaaaand there goes my weekend.  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71