Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553375 times)

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #480 on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

Custom ship styles? Like, you mean Tech Level or Ship Class? Because if we can add custom classes then expect to see the Spriter's size guide get fudged with a lot.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 27, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »

Custom ship styles? Like, you mean Tech Level or Ship Class? Because if we can add custom classes then expect to see the Spriter's size guide get fudged with a lot.

Yes, the tech level. What it does is determine a bunch of colors (shields, explosions, some others) and sounds; all that is now moddable. As a side effect, the flux venting color is also moddable; forgot that was actually being set per-style, albeit to the same value :)

Can't add custom ship sizes, though, and I don't think that's going to happen at any point.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 27, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »

So based on whats on the notes, having a ship completely change its hull based on a shipsystem wont be achievable?

Also i demand this out now :'( oneone111!!!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

Whoa!

So via these custom dialogs, we can Jump, see the results of the last Engagement (i.e., start a fight at a Station, engage a Station's guards, win, take over, Station loses cargo and / or Blueprints and / or industrial capacity as a result) and a bunch of other stuff?  So a Station can be anything from an ultra-complex smorgasbord of Missions to a simplistic toll-gate for Jumping?  That is really nice!

The only thing that's missing is some way to interact with the Stations other than blowing them up.  I've always wanted to see "space cities" that we could fly around in and talk to mobs and static things.  IDK why, really- the idea of traveling around a city-like thing has a lot of appeal for whatever reasons.  The idea of having a battle in one, dodging static elements and engaging huge defenses is really fun, though!

I guess that could be executed via a Mission, but I presume we can't do Dialogs in Missions... or can we?  And does Neutral work as a SIDE yet, so that non-combatants / third parties can be in Missions yet, even if only via custom AI?

Also, one of the biggies that's not in the build; is there going to be an official method for allowing the AI to engage Stations and Planets yet?  Can Stations and Planets be treated like a Fleet object so that they can have ships like a normal Fleet?  

I don't mean any "smart strategic AI that decides when this would be smart", don't get me wrong, just the basic mechanics?  

This is one of those things I've hesitated to kludge into my mod for some time now, largely because I'm looking forward to a standard method.  The references you've made to "creating Outposts" suggests that Stations are no longer perma-objects in the gameworld... how does that work?

So based on whats on the notes, having a ship completely change its hull based on a shipsystem wont be achievable?
You can sorta do that right now; erase the ship, replace it with the other ship, match up damage states.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

Alex I love you. I've said that a lot before, but now I love you a lot more. Like, a whole lot. That's a considerable amount of love.

Is there a way to set a certain background on a per-star system basis? Like, you might have one system exist in normal space, and have a generic starry background, but another nearby system might be in the middle nebula and have an appropriate background.

(If not, consider it a formal suggestion: having a blatantly obvious visual cue to differentiate important star systems could prove to be very beneficial for the core game and mods alike. Maybe not so beneficial for David having to draw all those 2048x2048 space-scapes, though.)

Oh, another question: can you jump a fleet by using the interaction dialog plugin? Go to a station>Click "Warp me outside of the universe">dialog closes, you're outside the universe.
Subsequently, can AI fleets be jumped to other systems without actually going through a jump point? Script>on arrival>warps fleet outside universe.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM by Psiyon »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 27, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

Hyperspace jump point/gravity well generated by the star can only be used if you have a high navigation skill, places the fleet in a random location near the star

Is there any other way of interstellar travel? Because if not, navigation now becomes a must-have skill. Which is the same as a no-choice skill. Which means there's no reason for it to be a selectable skill at all, to limit hyperspace access you could just as well tie it to character level. Or am I missing something?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #486 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »

Will hyperspace graphics be customizable?

Also: Combat in Hyperspace?! What? Shouldn't it be considered more like Warp Drives or Tachyon-Field drives? If there's combat in Hyperspace is that implying you aren't entering a kind of Subspace? Or was the whole combat in hyperspace thing a typo? D:
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »

There are jump points from which you can enter hyperspace, so you don't need a high navigation skill.  Right now we have no idea is there will be any restrictions on it, or where it will be.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

Added WeaponAPI.getSprite() - returns SpriteAPI for the current weapon frame. Can be used to enable additive blending (glowy weapon sprite animations), adjust sprite color/transparency dynamically, etc
Made ship hull styles fully moddable (shield color, explosion color, etc)
Configured in data/config/hull_styles.json
Can add new, fully-custom styles
Can set custom engine/shield/etc sounds per style in sounds.json (see "engine_loop" for an example, can use custom style IDs there)
Engine styles:
Can now be specified directly under "style" (i.e.: "style":"midlineFlare", as opposed to "style":"CUSTOM","styleId":"midlineFlare"). Old way still works.
All vanilla engine styles can be overridden using engine_styles.json
Styles for LOW_TECH, MIDLINE, and HIGH_TECH extracted to engine_styles.json (as examples)

Thanks!

Ship and fighter AI is now fully moddable

Thanks again!

My last wish for modding is a way how to make beam charge up in same way as projectile weapon and it is absolutely perfect.

Edit: Will be flux effect moddable to?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:22:42 PM by Ravendarke »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »

Can we see any examples of dialog UI implementations yet, even if it's still rough?  I think that one of the biggies that people are going to want to try hacking out ASAP is Stuff To Do With Planets and Stations.

Sure - here's the one for planet interactions, that doesn't do anything other than show the planet in the visual pane and lets you leave.

(The layout is: text panel on the left, visual panel on the right, options below. Somewhat adjustable.)

Quick question about this: looking through the class its clear that it expects a PlanetAPI from dialog.getInteractionTarget(). But how does the game know to send that to this plugin when planets are clicked? Is that something we have to register or is it handled behind the scenes (and sorry if this is a dumb question, modding has changed a lot and I haven't really wrapped my head around how a lot of the new plugin stuff works)?

Other than that, I expect mods to become like four hundred times more interesting. Custom AI, systems, on the fly variants, styles, interactions with asteroids planets and stations, the possibility to have 'hidden' locations in hyperspace (unlocked by items or nav skill etc)... add in being able to save arbitrary persistent game data and things are going to get awesome. Of course its going to take everyone about 2 months to figure out how to do any of the complex stuff, but thats to be expected.

The only thing I really want is the skeleton of trading: being able to set prices per instance of SectorEntityToken and being able to call up the two party inventory screen if set as an option in a InteractionDialogPlugin. (Hidden asteroid pirate bases that launch fleets after you if you get too close, but will allow you to trade if you <x>? Heck yes!)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 28, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »

*** yeah additive sprites and custom ship styles. I've been waiting for this.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:16 AM »

Thats why i want it released  :D, there's so much work to be done!

On the side note, i expect the planet interaction is just like a station, you click on it and your fleet will fly into the middle.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:16:54 AM by silentstormpt »

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »

Thats why i want it released  :D, there's so much work to be done!

On the side note, i expect the planet interaction is just like a stations, you click on it and you fleet will fly in to the middle.

Hmm maybe kind of docking? So fleet will be unattackable?

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:34 AM »

Quick question about this: looking through the class its clear that it expects a PlanetAPI from dialog.getInteractionTarget(). But how does the game know to send that to this plugin when planets are clicked? Is that something we have to register or is it handled behind the scenes (and sorry if this is a dumb question, modding has changed a lot and I haven't really wrapped my head around how a lot of the new plugin stuff works)?

There's a new plugin system that determines which plugin is chosen for specific entities based on priority. Look for CampaignPlugin in the patch notes. :)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 28, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

Definitely a lot to be excited about with this upcoming release.

Nice stuff, Alex.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 71