Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553325 times)

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »

From the sounds of it, travel will work much like a game I've been shown recently, Freelancer. Naturally occuring wormholes that lead to other systems which ships can utilise.
In freelancer, there are two types of wormholes - naturally occuring ones and man-made ones. They do the same thing, but the man-made ones are generally in the policed areas of space while the natural ones are hidden off in dust clouds etc, often the territory of - and used by - the pirates and other 'unsavory' groups.

Awesome game btw. Many dislike it compared to Chris Robert's other works, as it is rather arcadey etc, but taken on its own its really really fun IMHO.

Anyway its a bit off-topic, sorry. Ontopic, awesome patch notes. Eagerly awaiting that blog post to answer many questions we all have... plus the next update! Hopefully it won't be a long wait till everything has been implemented. Since things appear to be moving on from CR to the new Hyperspace stuff, that means CR is basically done for this iteration and ready for us to try out :)

I have to say that this has to be one of my most looked-forward to in development games. And given how much I back on Kickstarter, that's saying something! Keep up the great work :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »

Ah, Alex, have you thought of a use for Fuel yet?  There's still stacks of it laying around in the station. ;) How will fuel be used in the Hyperspace part?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:03:37 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »

Is there a chance we could see a new faction in the new system, or  can't you talk about that?

:-X

Any audio changes being thrown in with this update?

:-X

Hopefully it won't be a long wait till everything has been implemented. Since things appear to be moving on from CR to the new Hyperspace stuff, that means CR is basically done for this iteration and ready for us to try out :)

There's pending UI work for logistics etc. That's probably one of the bigger humps to get over, beyond tidying stuff up and doing various assorted things. And other things. Did I mention things? There are lots of things.

Ah, Alex, have you thought of a use for Fuel yet?  There's still stacks of it laying around in the station. ;) How will fuel be used int eh Hyperspace part?

It'll be used, though don't expect it to be particularly important, as gameplay considerations go. That'll come later.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

Is it something general, like you have a distance from your sector to the next sector, fuel efficiency per ship, and number of ships, things like that?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 14, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »

Well, since there's only one sector, and travel between sectors is impossible, no, it's not like that at all!

Ahem.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Erm, systems. :P Sorry, name of the game got in my head! ;)

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

There's pending UI work for logistics etc. That's probably one of the bigger humps to get over, beyond tidying stuff up and doing various assorted things. And other things. Did I mention things? There are lots of things.
Aye, understandable!

Well best of luck working on all the things. Ha, there is so much that goes into a game that the end consumer really doesn't realise. I love that projects like this open up the process. Its also fascinating seeing how different developers use different strategies and work differently in persuit of that end goal. I have to say this is one of the better ones so far :P

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

7 months. Over HALF a year.

The light is no longer at the end of the tunnel. All is darkness and void.

Atreyu has failed to stop The Nothing. Doomed.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »

seems like the wait is ending soon(tm), right now I'm just hoping this patch is more the exception than the rule from here on forward
mmm.... tartiflette

Reapy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:42 AM »

Hyperspace combat is totally going to have way different properties, right...right!?! :)

Like, super flux regen, or maybe shields don't work, or everybody is slower, or, weapons that only work in hyperspace etc etc? :)

Anyway really cool the big game is finally taking shape and the world building can begin. It will be interesting how you start dealing with systems that are 'off screen'.

I can picture something like each system it has resource outputs and growth based on the outputs of surrounding/linked systems as you go, or perhaps there just needs to be a bit of a bit of a catch up function that can speed through several years of updates just as you are arriving at it.

Can't wait to figure everything out again with all the changes when the next patch is released.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »

Hyperspace combat is totally going to have way different properties, right...right!?! :)

Like, super flux regen, or maybe shields don't work, or everybody is slower, or, weapons that only work in hyperspace etc etc? :)

Anyway really cool the big game is finally taking shape and the world building can begin. It will be interesting how you start dealing with systems that are 'off screen'.

I can picture something like each system it has resource outputs and growth based on the outputs of surrounding/linked systems as you go, or perhaps there just needs to be a bit of a bit of a catch up function that can speed through several years of updates just as you are arriving at it.

Can't wait to figure everything out again with all the changes when the next patch is released.

what makes you even think we can fight in hyperspace ? in almost every fictional setting, every FTL travelling alternative prevents any sort of combat completly, wether its stargate's wormhole, star wars hyperspace or star trek warp drive etc

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »

But you can force people out of hyperspace sometimes. In which case let the dueling commence!
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »

@bills6693: Heheh, thanks!

@Dri: That's quite poetic :)

As fun as that might sound, I think that'd be pretty terrible. Trying to have fun and somewhat-balanced combat for a wide range of properties seems like a nightmare. Never mind making the AI deal with it.

Yeah, that'll be real interesting to work out.

what makes you even think we can fight in hyperspace ? in almost every fictional setting, every FTL travelling alternative prevents any sort of combat completly, wether its stargate's wormhole, star wars hyperspace or star trek warp drive etc

You can fight in hyperspace. In terms of how it works, just think of it as a particularly big system, with different visuals and entities in it, but still fundamentally the same.

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

In the harrington novels, they could fight in the FTL travel mode thing. But it was completly different to normal space fighting. Had to get in close and personal with lasers (missiles didn't work), and all the shielding doesn't work, so basically it was a slaughterfest. But meant small ships could take down much bigger ones (admittedly also getting killed themselves).

Completely off-topic though. again.

On-topic, some hull mods or something to give ships advantages in hyperspace-fighting might be cool? Nothing to radical, just movement buffs or something of the sort.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

In the harrington novels, they could fight in the FTL travel mode thing. But it was completly different to normal space fighting. Had to get in close and personal with lasers (missiles didn't work), and all the shielding doesn't work, so basically it was a slaughterfest. But meant small ships could take down much bigger ones (admittedly also getting killed themselves).

Completely off-topic though. again.

On-topic, some hull mods or something to give ships advantages in hyperspace-fighting might be cool? Nothing to radical, just movement buffs or something of the sort.

that was only when they were within those gravity bands, there was this one book later in the series where she took a refitted freighter to take down pirates and near the end of this book they had a battle with a pair of Haven ships in a pocket of hyperspace

book is called Honor Among Enemies
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71