Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553463 times)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

I must've missed the whole "Frigates now lose CR after a certain period of time" thing.  I really don't like that idea.  I get that ti's to reduce the kiting BS that goes on, but I almost exclusively pilot Frigates and if they start to burn out in anything but a small-time, quick battle, then they might as well just be fighters that can't repair.

I could see this for a lot of Tri-Tachyon ships, as they'd need it.

But for a lot of slower Frigates like Lashers and Brawlers that aren't fast enough to really kite anyway and that rely on staying near more powerful ships in the fleet for the majority of the battle to survive, this will be very crippling.

How long are we talking, here?  Cuz if it's a really long time (Basically only coming into play when someone is taking forever trying to kite a huge fleet), it might not be too bad.

Will there be different timers for different ships?  Will there be skills to make it less impactful on a player's ship?

I need more info to really draw a judgement, but this one makes me feel really iffy.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

I feel pretty iffy about it too, but I guess it's just something to deal with. I don't think it's likely to change. If it's moddable, it could simply be modded out of existence with it either taking so long to kick in or the effects so minor that it's basically negated. I'm already pretty iffy about CR simply because of getting caught in a massive scrap, those annoying moments when you're locked into multiple battles because you have that -50% speed after a battle which stops you from getting clear of the other 4-5 fleets. Sitting through all of those with the new CR, you're probably guaranteed a loss regardless of good conduct in the previous battles because reasons. And you will also HAVE to sit through them all, because autoresolve is disappearing as well.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

How long are we talking, here?  Cuz if it's a really long time (Basically only coming into play when someone is taking forever trying to kite a huge fleet), it might not be too bad.

Will there be different timers for different ships?  Will there be skills to make it less impactful on a player's ship?

I need more info to really draw a judgement, but this one makes me feel really iffy.

There's actually a lot more info on this in the thread about CR if I remember right.
There will be different timers for different ships.
And from the front page:
The Combat aptitude now raises maximum CR for piloted ship instead of providing a damage bonus

Let's just see how this will play out and start cursing it later (possibly never).
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »

Changes as of July 11, 2013

Hyperspace:

Omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod...

I think someone is going to need a broom handle to pry me off of the ceiling.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

Hyperspace?

Please tell me you have some crazy animation that is going to make me need a new CPU.

Not to mention a new pair of undergarments...
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

NuclearMoose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »

Changes as of July 11, 2013

Hyperspace:

Omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod...

I think someone is going to need a broom handle to pry me off of the ceiling.

Someone needs to get a mop to clean my brain off the ceiling  ;D

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »

Another system will be nice, but i can't imagine there being much to do yet without variable prices or mining or anything in yet.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2013, 04:57:08 AM »

Another system will be nice, but i can't imagine there being much to do yet without variable prices or mining or anything in yet.

That is certainly true, I think the most interesting part will be the workings and optics of hyperspace travel.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »

My favorite part next patch will be first off, playing with the new fighter mechanics, and second off, exploring the new system! :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 14, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »

Is there a chance we could see a new faction in the new system, or  can't you talk about that?

Any audio changes being thrown in with this update?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 14, 2013, 06:46:37 AM »

Yea, there's some audio cues for "low CR due to extended deployment" and some more audio cues for when the ship starts to malfunction due to extremely low CR levels. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 14, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »

Yea, there's some audio cues for "low CR due to extended deployment" and some more audio cues for when the ship starts to malfunction due to extremely low CR levels. :D
Yeah, but those aren't sexy...

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 14, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »

Hearing crash bang wallop as your ship falls apart around you? The Matari live for those sounds.  :D

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 14, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »

Yay hyperspace. Can't wait for the blog, have so many questions to ask.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Eternity57

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 14, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »

Impressive patch release !!!

Hoping it fast ;-)

have nice vaccation time !
Always look at the bright side of life
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 71