Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 553333 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:05 PM »

I have 2 concerns with the update.
 One is abusing the new boarding mechanic. What You could do is simply wear down a fleet to the point were its capitol is left and then disengage, or let them run. The post said one ships will always be able to be boarded. So why not jut rengagage with the solo capitol ship and disables it and then board it?

My other concern was is adding a damage buff really a good trade off for the range buff?(this may be me just missin my former builds which used the range buff. But it still feels like and awkward trade off.)
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's only a chance to board, though the chance is only ever for one ship.

So you aren't guaranteed a boarding, though you are guaranteed there will be a maximum of one.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

Yeah, boarding is not guaranteed, but while the overall boarding chance is not increased by isolating your target ship, the chance to board that specific ship in case of boarding is brought to 100%.
From what I understand this part of the patch notes has not been updated since the boarding mechanic was fist discussed after the blogpost, though. It might have changed quite a bit in the meantime (or rather is open for future change), including the only one ship rule.

By the way, it's a capital ship (which just means grand ship), the capitol is a building in Washington, D.C. and has nothing to do with ships. I see that mistake made quite a lot.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

flashydragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

If anything, in the currently-released version 1) the progression is too fast and 2) the early stages of it are more fun. Something where you're just barely getting by and advancing is more difficult wouldn't be a bad thing.

In any event, I'm not too concerned about the speed of the progression at this point. Any real effort put into that now is mostly wasted, though I'll certainly take a good look at it before making the release.

I understand. a clever End Game would be a sweet way to round out the experience, as it stands now, once you have the biggest/baddest fleet, you just kind of sit on your hands... :'(

it would be nice if the game were playable before release, however! there are mechanics and methods that can force/coerce you to be on the run, without being 1 wrong click away from instagib...especially if the game will be transitioning to HC mode as standard.

I know I'm new here, and i really don't have any perch to be making demands (or even expect to be listened to). But I care about this game, it's a labor of love, and I want to see it succeed! So if I sound *** or foolish at any point, please understand my heart. ::)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

My other concern was is adding a damage buff really a good trade off for the range buff?(this may be me just missin my former builds which used the range buff. But it still feels like and awkward trade off.)

A damage bonus does seem a bit odd for a sensor array. I think a boost to hit strength (target armor reduction) and/or auto-aim accuracy might fit better. A bonus to auto-aim would also make it a more desirable target for green fleets.

scotty0002

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

Is there any way we can find out the realese date of this update

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »

Is there any way we can find out the realese date of this update

How much of the coding is already done?

For the whole update? Can't really estimate, though it's definitely winding down. For the stuff in the blog post, it's all functional, but the UI is very much WIP. You may have noticed a lack of screenshots; that's why.

From the other thread.

Alex doesn't like deadlines, and I can't really blame him. This way we get updates when they are actually finished.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Alysa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2013, 01:48:05 AM »

in the currently-released version 1) the progression is too fast and 2) the early stages of it are more fun.

I completely agree ! however, the current changes seem harsh without economy, which will allow new ways to play. so is it reasonnable to release this patch before economy is put in the game ?

the capitol is a building in Washington, D.C

Not even close, the Capitol is the central plaza of Toulouse.

Btw, this is my first post, so as the rest of us I'll say that this game is incredibly awesome, even as an alpha game, and I play it with much more avidity than many AAA games that just wait in my computer for me to have a glimpse at them. With so much fun in fights, it promises to be one of the best space games ever (hence, one of the best games ever !). Terrific work, hope this will go on well.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »

it promises to be one of the best space games ever (hence, one of the best games ever !). Terrific work, hope this will go on well.

True, this game has the potential to become huge, if we are lucky we might even see Starsector II with ships in 3D. ;D

flashydragon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »

it promises to be one of the best space games ever (hence, one of the best games ever !). Terrific work, hope this will go on well.

True, this game has the potential to become huge, if we are lucky we might even see Starsector II with ships in 3D. ;D

I can hear Alex sighing at his computer screen right now... ::)

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2013, 02:34:44 AM »

Well I for one am not sure i like the new boarding mechanics.....
if you think boarding ships was too an easy way of gaining money just make captured ships sell for much less...
similar to Age of Pirates 2....nations would pay only limited amount of money for ships captured from other nations unless you have privateer patent...unless the captured ship was originally pirate that is...

flanker37t

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »

Well I for one am not sure i like the new boarding mechanics.

I strongly disagree. First, we need to see the implementation ourselves. And I remember X^3:TC where boarding suddenly became almost impossible without investing millions of credits and several days IRL. It was incredibly fun, I planned an operation "capture some random Xenon destroyer" for a week, and lost about three hundred times the value of abovementioned destroyer, but I got it! And I flew it proudly since.

Speaking of Starsector, I've recently captured a battlecruiser and two destroyers in one battle. Cool, but REALLY game-breaking. Once upon a time I even captured a Conquest with a frigate early in the game. It just surrendered. No challenge at all.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »

The Conquest was likely undermanned, and as such the Conquest's "fleet" had "no combat-ready ships". Which typically means immediate surrender or sabotage of the undermanned ship(s).

And I remember X^3:TC where boarding suddenly became almost impossible without investing millions of credits and several days IRL. It was incredibly fun, I planned an operation "capture some random Xenon destroyer" for a week, and lost about three hundred times the value of abovementioned destroyer, but I got it! And I flew it proudly since.

Supposedly, there is a tactic to capping ships in X3 that involves displaying overwhelming firepower. Basically, kill the ship so fast that the pilot panics and bails. That's the general idea, with out taking the morale of the pilot into account. I find it odd how you can even capture Xenon ships. Aren't they AI? What, do they just have a NOPE.exe tucked away in their systems that makes them shutdown? What if it woke up again? Suddenly, crazed Xenon ship bent on destroying everything in the middle of your precious supply trains.

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »

The Conquest was likely undermanned, and as such the Conquest's "fleet" had "no combat-ready ships". Which typically means immediate surrender or sabotage of the undermanned ship(s).

Which will be impossible with the next update

And I remember X^3:TC where boarding suddenly became almost impossible without investing millions of credits and several days IRL. It was incredibly fun, I planned an operation "capture some random Xenon destroyer" for a week, and lost about three hundred times the value of abovementioned destroyer, but I got it! And I flew it proudly since.

Supposedly, there is a tactic to capping ships in X3 that involves displaying overwhelming firepower. Basically, kill the ship so fast that the pilot panics and bails. That's the general idea, with out taking the morale of the pilot into account. I find it odd how you can even capture Xenon ships. Aren't they AI? What, do they just have a NOPE.exe tucked away in their systems that makes them shutdown? What if it woke up again? Suddenly, crazed Xenon ship bent on destroying everything in the middle of your precious supply trains.

That's one way of capping ships in X3, X2 and even X-Tension. The other way involves punching through their shields (or at least, most of them) and then carefully poking them.
There are several changes from X3 to X3:TC. One is capturing capital ships, because you have to train up marines (which takes ages). Did I also mention that you need over 20 for most Xenon ships? And I think that each one of their ships is actually piloted by a robot. If you check the ship's status, it will mention that the pilot is "Unknown Object". This object then bails, or gets killed by marines, if you attack a capship. The AI core of the Xenon ship is then overwritten, and a firewall is installed.

OT: The changes in boarding were necessary, it became far too easy to cap and start printing money.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »

OT: The changes in boarding were necessary, it became far too easy to cap and start printing money.

Agree.

I did that, in fact. And although it was rather thrilling the first couple times, after a while I felt guilty for being so amazing. The real jackpot used to be when you were able to find an AI fleet limping around ... you could make his fleet surrender, and assimilate all of the ships. Shipgasm.

But yes it needed to be nerfed a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 71