Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pirates Plus - expanded Vanilla Pirates  (Read 41556 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Pirates Plus - expanded Vanilla Pirates
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

EDIT: This mod's days as a standalone mod are numbered, it's pretty much here just for completion's sake right now. You can find all the ships of this mod in Starsector+. That also includes ships I didn't post here, such as the Punisher-class Cruiser, the Arachne-class Destroyer, and the Archon-class Destroyer.

Pretty much just making this for Uomoz' Corvus, but anyway, I feel like the pirates faction deserves to have more stuff, and that the game needs more cobbled-together, low-tech ships. So without further ado let's start this off with the Shark-class Battle Barge!

The Shark is a monstrous raiding vessel, featuring parts of pilfered and dissected industrial ships, cobbled together into a hull that can mount a plethora of weapons and is highly customizable. However, the Shark usually employs the shield generator of a salvaged Tarsus or Condor, and its multiple weaknesses are obviously being shored-up by simply trying to outgun the enemy.

With a large amount of cargo space to haul loot, the Shark is an unwelcome sight for Sector traders.

The Bull-class destroyer is a popular conversion of the Buffalo Mark II for raider captains with the money and connections to make it work. Capable of mounting a large ballistic weapon to its spinal hardpoint and blessed with a weak shield emitter, the Bull's biggest improvement over the Buffalo II is its advanced engine system and vastly improved hull integrity.

A credible threat to most destroyers and frigates in the Sector, those who scoff at the Buffalo II still secretly fear that one of the murky shapes in a pirate combat fleet will turn out to be a charging Bull.

The brainchild a still-unidentified rogue Tri-Tachyon weapons engineer, the Tiger-type frigate is, essentially, a naked flux conduit framework nestled around a reactor and shield emitter, with engines tacked on. Featuring several energy weapon emplacements and a rudimentary high energy focus system, it's a deadly frigate, capable of threatening even expensive warships. Fortunately, since the production is centered on one cartel, it's not in wide circulation.

One can only guess at what stirs in the mind of those who willingly crew the gun batteries of a Torch-type frigate. A lust for destruction seems to be the defining factor.

The Renegade-class Battlecruiser. At the helm of one, a Pirate Lord can send an entire system into a state of anarchy, single-handedly blocking supply lines and stalling reinforcements for weeks. Its origins are shrouded in mystery - each Renegade is different, so Hegemony analysts conclude that they're being made using several different autofacs, each programmed to spit out a single, malformed piece of their corresponding ship. These parts are then spliced together in an orbital dock.

This vessel represents the triumph of the ego over a hostile Sector, and its very existence - once merely a rumor - has destabilized politics across known space.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:33:18 AM by Cycerin »

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates Plus - expanded Vanilla Pirates
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »

Very cool idea I like it a lot :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

Hm... Guessing that's a light cruiser class?  Three small hardpoints, seven small turrets, two medium turrets?  Effectiveness probably depends a lot on the firing arcs; if, say, five of those small turrets can aim forwards, I'd think you could get some fairly nasty builds using light needlers & heavy maulers.  Or maybe put a flak cannon in one of those medium slots, use a small or two to cover PD on the other side... less overall firepower, but better missile defenses.

Then again, the pirates faction can be made much more effective with just some better variants in general; the player - even without ordnance point bonuses from skills - can do some much nastier things with, say, a Venture that mounts a phase beam & heavy needlers, or sabot pods & heavy maulers & a heavy burst PD laser...  Not to mention support enforcers with hypervelocity drivers... mix even one of those into a regular pirate fleet and things suddenly get a lot more dangerous.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

It doesn't have the flux capacity to fire everything at once for more than a little while, but even so, the arcs dont overlap much. And if you use advanced weapons like needlers, maulers, etc, your flux will be strained.

E: Variants

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:23:35 PM by Cycerin »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Ah, yes, flux, my old nemesis... Probably go for a pair of heavy needlers, some harpoons for cracking armor, and leave the small turrets empty in favor of more vents & capacitors, then.  Small ballistic PD just doesn't seem to be very effective when I try to use it.  Maybe a light assault gun or two; those are pretty good at shooting down fighters.

Or maybe flak + light needlers?

(Yes, I like needlers.  They're remarkably flux-efficient.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:18:28 PM by Wyvern »

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

Small ballistic PD is a secret broken thing about Starsector. Light MGs are almost the best weapon in the game, as long as you have speed to close the gap.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »

Ah, right.  Yes, I was talking about effectiveness as point defense; light MGs are amazing assault weapons if you can get in range and don't have a swarm of annihilator rockets distracting them.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

Ah, right.  Yes, I was talking about effectiveness as point defense; light MGs are amazing assault weapons if you can get in range and don't have a swarm of annihilator rockets distracting them.

Oh yeah, very true, especially with how good Flak Cannons are.

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »

Just give them some kind of a capital ship. IMO pirates (especially in Uomoz's) need something bigger badly.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

I'll make a battlecruiser  ;D

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

Make it  big bad and... paint it pretty. :3

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »

Or just make their fleets actually use the Conquest?  In some sort of sane non-mjolnir-using variant?  I mean, not that I'd complain about some shiny new battlecruiser... just, they've got one already that they don't even field.

Interesting variants on that shark; the second one looks pretty solid, and the third I'm guessing is just the standard low-tech not-very-effective variant... the first is odd, though; I'd really think it'd work better with at least one sabot SRM launcher.  (Edit: Unless it's designed to be paired up with more kinetic-heavy variants of, say, the enforcer or something?  Yes, yes, light machine guns... but the AI won't close to use them offensively.)

I'd also suggest making a variant specifically designed for mid range harassment / support - using hypervelocity drivers, harpoons, and maybe an LRM or railgun or the like.

I do like that you're using mortars, too; they're an often-neglected weapon, but cheap and vaguely decent as anti-fighter guns.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:51:51 PM by Wyvern »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »

After you make the battlecruiser I would love to see a frigate or two, 'cause frigate swarms are my favorite way to play. Perhaps something with the same kinda armaments as the shuttle, but more combat oriented?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »

The Renegade-class. With this, a pirate lord can send an entire system into a state of anarchy, single-handedly blocking supplies and reinforcements for weeks. Its origins are shrouded in mystery - each Renegade is different, so Hegemony analysts conclude that they're being made using several different autofacs, each programmed to spit out a single, malformed piece of their corresponding ship. These parts are then spliced together in an orbital dock.

This vessel represents the triumph of the ego over a hostile Sector, and its very existence - once merely a rumor - has destabilized politics across known space...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:21:16 PM by Cycerin »

Foxd1e

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:40 AM »

Nice work, that last ship looks especially awesome!
Pages: [1] 2 3