Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phase ships and nebulas,  (Read 3227 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Phase ships and nebulas,
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

Just as a question, should phase ships really be affected by nebulas interference while in phase?

Weapons and ships don't affect phased ships but a nebula can now penetrate into phase space and slow down them?

Maybe make it so they are unaffected by nebulas while phased but can be slowed as normal outside of it.

Sarolveldruk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Phase ships and nebulas,
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »

I had the same idea some time ago. I think this would only work if a phase ship were to cloak while cruising at top speed before it enters a nebula.

This could have some advantages, but would more or less be a minor detail that doesn't effect gameplay very much.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »

I like this, let me take a look and see if this would be as trivial to change as it currently seems. Would be a nice touch and an added bonus to phasing.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:33 AM »

What about if you couldn't phase within a nebula? :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:24 AM »

If you go with the "auto-deceleration if over top-speed"-idea this will have limited impact, but as you said be a nice touch. And maybe set a precedence for future new kinds of nebulas and environmental hazards (which might have much more impact) :)

...thinking about it, you could even say that phase ships are invisible while cloaked within a nebula, at least it would mitigate some of the inherent problems...ah, well.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:26 AM »

If you go with the "auto-deceleration if over top-speed"-idea this will have limited impact, but as you said be a nice touch. And maybe set a precedence for future new kinds of nebulas and environmental hazards (which might have much more impact) :)

...thinking about it, you could even say that phase ships are invisible while cloaked within a nebula, at least it would mitigate some of the inherent problems...ah, well.
This idea would certainly make playing phase ships more interesting than cloak, de-cloak, unload, re-cloak, wash, rinse and repeat.

Or perhaps they don't show up on long range scanners such as the tactical map and "R" targeting when in a nebula (unless they are yours of course).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »

I blame it being 2 am at the time, but I was thinking this would somehow let phased ships get the 0-flux boost. Which would (rather obviously) only work in an alternate universe where phase cloaks generate no flux.

dabensta

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

I think that the invisibility within the nebula is a fantastic idea: many times have I felt that this game lacks stealth capabilities. After all, the closest we get is through phase ships, which aren't really stealthy. I think lying in wait for the enemies to pass and then attacking their exposed backs would be awesome. A more stealthy ship would open up many more options; you could have something that's job is to sweep for stealth ships, specific weapons, etc.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »

This idea would certainly make playing phase ships more interesting than cloak, de-cloak, unload, re-cloak, wash, rinse and repeat.

Or perhaps they don't show up on long range scanners such as the tactical map and "R" targeting when in a nebula (unless they are yours of course).
Well, invisibility might be a bit much (particularly as it's been discarded previously) but nebulae giving increased or reduced cloak cost when inside would make them interesting. Possibly increased would work better, so if you were being harassed by phase cloak ships as a bigger ship you'd have an interesting tradeoff- stick it out, or enter the nearest nebula and lose speed but be safe from cloaked attacks?
That would also conceptually work with the extra cost when flying through another vessel- a nebula's not really as solid as a ship, but it's extra stuff to move through so cloaking costs more.

But then having nebulae reduce cloak cost would also be interesting, and would be a more positive mechanic (encouraging you to do something rather than discouraging you from doing something).

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »

A bit off topic but still regarding the nebulas... uh.. why are they so small? As far as i know nebulas are born from a star dying IE going supernova and what remains of the blast is a nebula. Now the blast radius of a star going supernova is MASSIVE so in turn the nebulas should be MASSIVE. Then again this shouldnt be implemented in any way untill we get more than 1 system. Since there really isnt anything left within the nebula since i doubt anything could survive a supernova... But this is just me. Maybe i have been influenced by freespace 2 too much.

And another question to alex how exactly does going into nebula reduce your engine speed? I understand that the crew would do it intentionally for "Just to be safe". Then again this might just be your way of implementing nebulas. Since as far as i know to this day there hasnt been a single ship that has travelled in a nebula.. for if 1 had we wouldnt be here. :P

Anyway this is just me.

Edit: Turns out there's more than 1 type of nebulae. (SORRY! >_<") Here's a small quote from wikipedia
A supernova occurs when a high-mass star reaches the end of its life. When nuclear fusion in the core of the star stops, the star collapses. The gas falling inward either rebounds or gets so strongly heated that it expands outwards from the core, thus causing the star to explode. The expanding shell of gas forms a supernova remnant, a special diffuse nebula. Although much of the optical and X-ray emission from supernova remnants originates from ionized gas, a great amount of the radio emission is a form of non-thermal emission called synchrotron emission. This emission originates from high-velocity electrons oscillating within magnetic fields.

For somereason after i played freespace 2 i want to see massive nebulaes and having capital ship battles in there. Since it reduces visibility and sensor range that would add some flavor to the battles i think. xD

-Sandremo
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:34:24 AM by Sandremo »

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »

Spoiler

Well, invisibility might be a bit much (particularly as it's been discarded previously) but nebulae giving increased or reduced cloak cost when inside would make them interesting. Possibly increased would work better, so if you were being harassed by phase cloak ships as a bigger ship you'd have an interesting tradeoff- stick it out, or enter the nearest nebula and lose speed but be safe from cloaked attacks?
That would also conceptually work with the extra cost when flying through another vessel- a nebula's not really as solid as a ship, but it's extra stuff to move through so cloaking costs more.

But then having nebulae reduce cloak cost would also be interesting, and would be a more positive mechanic (encouraging you to do something rather than discouraging you from doing something).
[close]
I wasn't referring to insatiability, you could still see the ship just not on long range scanners because the nebula is blocking the phase detectors or some such nonsense :)