Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cloaks. a new defensive system  (Read 1384 times)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
cloaks. a new defensive system
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »

so i was thinking about this idea while studying. (yes i know i should be studying instead of thinking about starsector)

note that these suggestions are only ideas and my only main suggestion is a cloaking system.
cloaks. a new defensive system like shields and phasing that plays in a totally different way then the others

How would it work?
when you are cloaked you would be invisible, so that would mean you are not visible to anything except for yourself and your allies. while you are cloaked or one of your allies is cloaked you would see yourself/him transparent (to show that you are cloaked). your enemies would see nothing. while you're cloaked you will gain a flux upkeep similar to the upkeep of phasing, maybe higher maybe lower. also your auto firing weapons will hold fire while cloaked, only they can shoot if you want them to (by pressing the hold fire key).
while cloaked you can not be seen by the enemy therefor the AI will not be able to identify you and will not try and shoot you if it didnt notice you cloaking. if the AI does notice you it will fire a few shots at your last known position and frigates,fighters and maybe even destroyers will actively try and find you. if the AI did not notice you cloak it will ignore you and will persue other non cloaked ships. if the AI is cloaked it will search for an enemy ships weak spots and will ambush from there (probably the engines). you will uncloak when: your flux maxes out (you wil also overload then), when you touch something with your hull, when you get hit by a weapon, when you uncloak (duhh  :P) and when you fire your weapons. when you fire your weapons while cloaked the first shot will cost double the flux (or maybe even more) and will maybe do bonus ambush damage.

this could also work really interesting with the combat readiness system. if your combat readiness is lets say, lower than 50% you would get small malfunctions. these malfunctions would be small parts of your hull that get revealed, when the enemy AI sees them he will fire at the part where the malfunction happened. this would be interesting for the player becouse it will make him search for malfunctions or if the player is the cloak ship will be much more carefull then when he is at higher combat readiness.

i hope this is enough information for this suggestion, if there are any points i missed please tell and i will add them
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:54:04 AM by conorano »

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
Re: cloaks. a new defensive system
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »

You might want to read this blog post. It gives the reasoning behind the current design of phase ships, and why invisibility didn't make it in.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: cloaks. a new defensive system
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »

awww. forgot about that blog post... well i guess this isnt an option then :(