Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: whats the fleet/cargo limit, past the limit  (Read 4918 times)

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
whats the fleet/cargo limit, past the limit
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »

so its possible to go over the limit for fleet size, cargo and the like.
but what id like to know is how much ?

by how much fleet point can i go over without risking accidents ?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: whats the fleet/cargo limit, past the limit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »

I THINK it's like 1.5x.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

That's right, you can go up to 50% over each limit without any penalty, except for additional supply costs. If you go beyond 150% capacity the related bar will start to flash red and you will face the risk of an accident.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »

Well in theory if you don't mind accidents then it can go into infinity i think but from a certain level serious accidents will happen one after another possibly wiping your fleet and killing crew.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »

Wiping fleet? Okay...

devmode+restock mod, here we come!
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Fallen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »

Infinite cargo space? Even with the high risk of accidents, I think there should be some restrictions.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »

Infinite cargo space? Even with the high risk of accidents, I think there should be some restrictions.

well yeah, after a certain point, the damage caused by the accident will cost you more than whatever benefit hauling all that cargo could have given, especially when it will be during a campaign where things wont be as readily available.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:52:44 AM »

Well, you can lose your entire fleet. Ain't that enough?  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Fallen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »

Alright, okay.
But I thought about an absolute max cargo limit like 2x of original space. Plus risk of accidents.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »

Alright, okay.
But I thought about an absolute max cargo limit like 2x of original space. Plus risk of accidents.
Why? As i see it, you are in space, sooooo, if you dont have enough room inside of ships you got it out side. So you put all your excess "stuff" outside, tie it up for, dunno, weapons and other stuff on ships hulls and haul damn things... See, don't need any cargo limit  ;D   
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

Alright, okay.
Why? As i see it, you are in space, sooooo, if you dont have enough room inside of ships you got it out side. So you put all your excess "stuff" outside, tie it up for, dunno, weapons and other stuff on ships hulls and haul damn things... See, don't need any cargo limit  ;D   

Dont think that would be too much of a problem but the engines are at the rear... wont it burn the "rope"? :D And then you can just watch through the rear window and salute at your cargo shouting "We are freeeeeeee!"

-Sandremo

Fallen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »

What would that look like during combat? Imagine a phase frigate covered in storage containers activating its phase cloak, maybe all that stuff could count as extra armour ;)

I'll admit that the system we have is good as it is.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:37:45 AM by Fallen »

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »

What would that look like during combat? Imagine a phase frigate covered in storage containers activating its phase cloak, maybe all that stuff could count as extra armour ;)
Maybe the cargo wont get phase shifted and staya visible? The captain of that vessel would have that "hmmn i may have forgotten something important..." moment :D how does phase shift work anyway? Is it something in the hull/armor that generates the invisiblity effect? OR is it an engine of sorts that generates an invisibility "bubble" around the ship to cloak it?

-Sandremo

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »

Maybe the cargo wont get phase shifted and staya visible? The captain of that vessel would have that "hmmn i may have forgotten something important..." moment :D how does phase shift work anyway? Is it something in the hull/armor that generates the invisiblity effect? OR is it an engine of sorts that generates an invisibility "bubble" around the ship to cloak it?

-Sandremo

technically speaking, its not literal invisibility since the ship itself is untouchable. i think its more like the ship is transported to a parallel dimension. still visible because ships now have sensors for that (remember the phase ship lore, initially they were totally invisible).

i guess cargo attached to it would maybe just fly off ? you know, since they arent on the same plane of existence anymore