Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spinning barrels? What for?  (Read 22711 times)

kajanov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Spinning barrels? What for?
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »

So in the release notes it states the following:

Changed Assault Chaingun to use animated spinning barrels

On a minigun, that is used on earth the barrels spin, in order to better dissipate heat into the air arround them. What is the point of spinning barrels in an airless environment? I can think of 2 reasons why never to make your barrels spin in an airless environment:
1. your bullets will fly everywhere, but where you are aiming
2. you produce heat via friction, which needs to be dissipated on top of the heat produced by the projectile movig through the barrel.

Thoughts?

Off topic: is there any way to set sound volume(s)?
Edit: Typos and stuff
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:54:40 PM by kajanov »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spinning barrels? What for?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

From Wikipedia:
Multiple barrels allow for a greater capacity for a high firing rate, since the serial process of firing/extraction/loading is taking place in all barrels simultaneously. Thus, as one barrel fires, two others are in different stages of shell extraction and another three are being loaded.

Also, it looks really cool :D

Not at the moment, no.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »

From Wikipedia:
Multiple barrels allow for a greater capacity for a high firing rate, since the serial process of firing/extraction/loading is taking place in all barrels simultaneously. Thus, as one barrel fires, two others are in different stages of shell extraction and another three are being loaded.

Also, it looks really cool :D

Yes, this.  :)

I like that you can turn sound off completely in the launcher. There's some missions that are fun to just watch on autopilot, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »

Spinning barrels make it more "lively".

If the barrels were static they would be less interesting.
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

Perhaps its a solid barel with no breach and the bullets are loaded in then rotated into firing position? (its space ships we dont know, how space machine guns work)

First post, so excited for this game.
(what happens if i registerd for this site and had lost one of my ears in some kind of accident? would i not be able to register if i awnsered 1 to that question on registration?)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

I found another fun anti-fighter-multi-barrel gun design:

Instead of a spinning animation, each of those barrels recoil in succession as they are each shot providing a stream of bullets without having to worry about the pointless spinning :P. What would make this even more old school is if there was an animated gunner sitting on the outside of the ship in a bulky spacesuit firing at fighter wings, kinda like how Mel armed that deck gun in the final arc of Serenity.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:00:02 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

That looks awesome...What type of gun is it some sort of anti aircraft gun i assume.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »

Yep, AA gun in the pacific during WWII.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »

Why are there two chairs? Is one rotation and one tilt? Are all four guns controlled with one control? I feel like I should know these things, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »

I've no idea, I've seen a lot of AA guns have more than one chair especially if the gun has more than one barrel. Aside from controlling the pitch and yaw, it could also be the spotter though I have no idea how you can make yourself heard over the boom of the cannons.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »

Maybe is just for redundancy. Looks like the controls are duplicated on both sides.
- Voltaire

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »

I found another fun anti-fighter-multi-barrel gun design:

Instead of a spinning animation, each of those barrels recoil in succession as they are each shot providing a stream of bullets without having to worry about the pointless spinning :P. What would make this even more old school is if there was an animated gunner sitting on the outside of the ship in a bulky spacesuit firing at fighter wings, kinda like how Mel armed that deck gun in the final arc of Serenity.

I agree with that!! that would look f**king awesome!

Baleur

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »

On a minigun, that is used on earth the barrels spin, in order to better dissipate heat into the air arround them. What is the point of spinning barrels in an airless environment? I can think of 2 reasons why never to make your barrels spin in an airless environment:
2. you produce heat via friction, which needs to be dissipated on top of the heat produced by the projectile movig through the barrel.

Thoughts?

To dissipate the heat from the top exposed firing barrel into the heatsink at the bottom of the gun, while maintaining a rapid rate of fire without pause for heat reasons (or the sides, or wherever we imagine they are) of course..   :D
While I appreciate your realism-approach, there's plenty of imaginary explanations to be made that would still fit with real-life physics, all it takes is a bit of imagination  :)

But frankly, I think it's safe to say that pretty much every single projectile weapon in space that aren't self-propelled like missiles, will be shot out from railguns.
Magnets = no heat what so ever, not even friction as the bullet never even touches the barrel. Heck we even build them today irl. Check for "Metal Storm" on youtube, they even fire grenades..... Nor would there be any explosion sound, it'd be a completely silent weapon (even inside the walls of the ship near the gun) constantly hailing bullets at the enemy. But that wouldn't be much fun in a pew-pew boom-boom game :)

So in that sense I agree, no need for spinning barrels :D

A million rounds a minute, have fun =D
I mean, imagine a version of that weapon in just 50 or 100 years.. Imagine 1 million grenades being launched at a target, per second, per 1 metalstorm turret emplacement.
Let's say a futuristic space frigate has 10 turrets, that's 10 million explosive or armor piercing rounds being fired every second. Have fun, and that's with todays tech. =P
And it scales up to any scale, since it's simple magnetic fields. You could launch artillery shells with that tech.
Future warfare will be ridiculous, especially in space.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:13:00 AM by Baleur »

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »

Thoughts?

To dissipate the heat from the top exposed firing barrel into the heatsink at the bottom of the gun, while maintaining a rapid rate of fire without pause for heat reasons (or the sides, or wherever we imagine they are) of course..   :D
While I appreciate your realism-approach, there's plenty of imaginary explanations to be made that would still fit with real-life physics, all it takes is a bit of imagination  :)

But frankly, I think it's safe to say that pretty much every single projectile weapon in space that aren't self-propelled like missiles, will be shot out from railguns.
Magnets = no heat what so ever, not even friction as the bullet never even touches the barrel. Heck we even build them today irl. Check for "Metal Storm" on youtube, they even fire grenades..... Nor would there be any explosion sound, it'd be a completely silent weapon (even inside the walls of the ship near the gun) constantly hailing bullets at the enemy. But that wouldn't be much fun in a pew-pew boom-boom game :)

So in that sense I agree, no need for spinning barrels :D

A million rounds a minute, have fun =D
I mean, imagine a version of that weapon in just 50 or 100 years.. Imagine 1 million grenades being launched at a target, per second, per 1 metalstorm turret emplacement.
Let's say a futuristic space frigate has 10 turrets, that's 10 million explosive or armor piercing rounds being fired every second. Have fun, and that's with todays tech. =P
Future warfare will be ridiculous, especially in space.
I can imagine shields being a problem for that sort of weaponry though :) Even if they use shield piercing rounds, they would use more resources to build and would probably be bigger to bypass the shields if possible lol.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

That's not a railgun. It's just a tube with a stack of bullets/propellant that is electrically triggered.

It is incredibly awesome, though.  :)
- Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3