Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trojans mod 0.1! (In development)  (Read 22327 times)

mattfrank7

• Ensign
  • PM ME! :D
    • View Profile
    • My youtube :D
Re: Trojans mod 0.1! (In development)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »

Good news everyone! (Not...)

I found out that when I was cleaning out my laptop to try and regain some space, I deleted all of the mod files.. Which means I get to start the WHOLE DAMN THING AGAIN. D:

But don't worry, I am not the kind of person to give up after a slap in the face by my stupidity.

I have made some new ship designs and you guys can name them :D

There's that which will be a medium frigate

And here's a fighter I made :D

There you go guys, the fighter sprite will be improved but you guys get to name them both, the names I like the most will be the one chosen :D
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss

I also make animations, check my youtube account!

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »

Also, if anybody has the mod downloaded from the last working release, is it possible for you to upload it somewhere for me to download so that atleast I have the original mod back?
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
-Dr. Seuss

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 04:14:56 AM »

Also, if anybody has the mod downloaded from the last working release, is it possible for you to upload it somewhere for me to download so that atleast I have the original mod back?

There's still a download link up on your OP. Can't you download it yourself?

As for the ship names.

Talon for the frigate. Because it sort of looks like a bird's claw.

Bolt for the fighter. Because it is small and sleek like a bolt.

Good job on the new ships. They look less flat. :)

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »

There's still a download link up on your OP. Can't you download it yourself?

As for the ship names.

Talon for the frigate. Because it sort of looks like a bird's claw.

Bolt for the fighter. Because it is small and sleek like a bolt.

Nope, the download link is broken for some reason D: DAMN MEDIAFIRE.

That's funny, I was thinking something like Falcon because it looks like a claw too, but isn't Talon already in the game? Talon Fighter Wing?
-Dr. Seuss

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:15 AM »

...and the Bolt is a fighter for the Interstellar Federation, you could still use it of course.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »

Alright then:

Claw

Dart (in case you don't want to use names similar to those in other mods)

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 06:55:04 AM »

Allow me to pass on some advice I got from Uomoz early on, look at vanilla ships.

Two main things.

Vanilla ships darken at the edges, giving an effect of deepening. Apparently I usually makes the edges too dark so experiment with that drawing an outline of the ship on a new layer and blurring that outline.

Blue windows, it's more of a stylistic choice than a realistic one. There's nothing to reflect that's blue, they should really be the colour of the light from the inside of the ship. I tend to give them a yellow glow, as do the vanilla ships.

A bit of contrast and noise (used responsibly) goes a long way.

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »

Allow me to pass on some advice I got from Uomoz early on, look at vanilla ships.

Two main things.

Vanilla ships darken at the edges, giving an effect of deepening. Apparently I usually makes the edges too dark so experiment with that drawing an outline of the ship on a new layer and blurring that outline.

Blue windows, it's more of a stylistic choice than a realistic one. There's nothing to reflect that's blue, they should really be the colour of the light from the inside of the ship. I tend to give them a yellow glow, as do the vanilla ships.

Yeah the blue is a stylistic choice, after all, the Trojans are a very stylish faction that wish to destroy their enemies with class and while looking good :D

Let's just say the windows are blue tinted for their targeting systems or something.

Also, what message are you actually trying to get across with the advice? Like what should I actually do? I know what you mean about making a new layer and blurring the outline, but the ships already get dark at the edges?

Thanks for the advice though :D
-Dr. Seuss

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »

Two main things.

I tried your suggestions and here is the result..

-Dr. Seuss

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

Aye, basically, although I'd say a bit more tweaking is necessary, as well as deleting the overflow on to the transparent area.

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

I tried your suggestions and here is the result..

Hmm.. Looks a bit too dark around the edges.. Here is a slighly dumbed down version:

-Dr. Seuss

mattfrank7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »

Aye, basically, although I'd say a bit more tweaking is necessary, as well as deleting the overflow on to the transparent area.

So you're saying I need to keep the blurred parts on the ship, but delete the parts overflowing into the transparent area?
-Dr. Seuss

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

Aye. You don't necessarily need to, the dark backgrounds of Starfarer mean that it won't really make a difference, but it'd be a lot cleaner easier to edit in the future.
Pages: 1 [2]