Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: PS4 and the future of gaming  (Read 20107 times)

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 and the future of gaming
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »

You're not getting it, are you? One or two of those cards are reference (normal) designs. Stuff like the Vapor-X or Windforce 3X are some of the most legendary coolers out there, and they are GHz editions. I'm not sorting through my pricing because I really have no need to - it speaks for itself. Did you know when my friend bought his Lighting 7970 the closest thing at that pricepoint to it on the green team was an upper end 670? My original point about the GHz edition cards is that they are no more expensive than an ordinary card - and if they are, like mine was, then there's probably a reason (best air cooler available currently) and even then you're only just scratching the prices of the 680s that can actually match up in pedigree. I'm rolling Matrix RoG, at that pricepoint you're rolling stock designs. Even then, 7970s are phenomenal overclockers - stick the core clock to 1GHz in MSI Afterburner, crank up the voltage a wee bit if need be, adjust the fan curve - boom. GHz edition performance. I'll say again, I'm not looking for the most expensive 680, I'm trying to show you that pretty much any 680 is monstrously and unjustifiably more expensive (and basic, worse performing etc.) while the 7970s are better performing, higher grade etc. etc. and much cheaper, usually by about £100

Reference 7970 are worse than reference 680.
GHz edition are more expensive than reference 7970 spec.
Does reference 7970 overclock well?  Yes they do.  Then let's be fair and compare to clock speed that regular 680 can regularly OC to instead of acting like 680s are somehow incapable of OCing.

You keep saying it's worse performing... did you scroll down on the benchmarks you linked us?

And there you go again, the "better performance" is from high end GHz edition to stock 680, and "much cheaper" is when you compare the 680 to reference 7970.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »

You're not getting it, are you? One or two of those cards are reference (normal) designs. Stuff like the Vapor-X or Windforce 3X are some of the most legendary coolers out there, and they are GHz editions. I'm not sorting through my pricing because I really have no need to - it speaks for itself. Did you know when my friend bought his Lighting 7970 the closest thing at that pricepoint to it on the green team was an upper end 670? My original point about the GHz edition cards is that they are no more expensive than an ordinary card - and if they are, like mine was, then there's probably a reason (best air cooler available currently) and even then you're only just scratching the prices of the 680s that can actually match up in pedigree. I'm rolling Matrix RoG, at that pricepoint you're rolling stock designs. Even then, 7970s are phenomenal overclockers - stick the core clock to 1GHz in MSI Afterburner, crank up the voltage a wee bit if need be, adjust the fan curve - boom. GHz edition performance. I'll say again, I'm not looking for the most expensive 680, I'm trying to show you that pretty much any 680 is monstrously and unjustifiably more expensive (and basic, worse performing etc.) while the 7970s are better performing, higher grade etc. etc. and much cheaper, usually by about £100

Reference 7970 are worse than reference 680.
GHz edition are more expensive than reference 7970 spec.
Does reference 7970 overclock well?  Yes they do.  Then let's be fair and compare to clock speed that regular 680 can regularly OC to instead of acting like 680s are somehow incapable of OCing.

You keep saying it's worse performing... did you scroll down on the benchmarks you linked us?

And there you go again, the "better performance" is from high end GHz edition to stock 680, and "much cheaper" is when you compare the 680 to reference 7970.
You keep acting on all these points like I haven't already explained for the fourth time- GHz edition 7970s are really the only 7970s you can get nowadays. And even then, they're cheaper - much, much, much cheaper than a 680.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-303-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938 GHz Ed. 7970. Very high spec.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-151-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2255 reference 680 from MSI.
As for what you said on OCing - those things auto OC but are poor overclockers without dishing loads for a Power Edition or Lightning from MSI due to locked volts. Bad clocker? TOO BAD! Stuck with GPU boost. Why'd you think the records are being broken by 7970s? It's because they're plain and simply better cards. Sure, reference 7970 loses to reference 680 - this I will concede. You know what I won't concede? The fact a reference 7970 doesn't overclock itself. The fact a reference 7970 runs at lower clocks (though really it's hard to say whether this affects everything overall, since I'm not familiar with how GK104 or Tahiti XT treats their clockspeeds) and the fact any 7970 can be transformed FOR FREE into a GHz edition, then beating a 680. Buy a reference 7970, set the speed on the core to 1050 MHz, set the GDDR5 to about 6GHZ, boom. GHz edition. And still wildly cheaper.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »

Wow.
Spoiler

[close]
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »

some of those rocks look awfully weird.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 02:44:09 AM »

Well it's certainly a step up from the PS3 :D
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Dr. Death[Lexx]

• Lieutenant
  • Solar Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:49 AM »

If you look closer, you can clearly see that the amount of vertices and poly's on the rock isn't that high at all...it's the textures that make them look somewhat crisper...on the other hand, low texture resolutions are still noticeable. Heh, normal maps and bump maps do help from time to time just like any standard post-processing.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »

If you look closer, you can clearly see that the amount of vertices and poly's on the rock isn't that high at all...it's the textures that make them look somewhat crisper...on the other hand, low texture resolutions are still noticeable. Heh, normal maps and bump maps do help from time to time just like any standard post-processing.
Correct-a-mundo. Running Unigine Valley in DX11 on Ultra settings at 1080p with 8X unspecified antialias. The result? 40FPS average, and a stunning world. Bear in mind that as low as one of those rocks may be in polygons, there are circa... 24 square kilometres of terrain being rendered at once. Trust me - it looks beautiful, but singular textures and such really suffer.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »

some of those rocks look awfully weird.

Probably because the rocks are bit 'out of place'.  If you ever hike, rocks like that are rarely placed on top of the ground like that.  It's usually half-buried with more dirt on them.

The rock themselves look fine though.  But this topic has gone so off topic ;D

Back on topic of PS4... still no detail on the GPU itself, right?  That and it's the games that make or break the platform so I wonder what exclusives Sony can muster up this round.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]